Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite bible verses

That's a great one, MVS.

I thought of another one with special meaning...
    A few years back we were going through a really rough patch with my daughter's health (immune deficiency stuff) and my wife was really at her wit's end one night. In the middle of the night, praing, crying, she got up, got out her bible, and literally did the old "open it and see what's there" trick and landed on this verse and it meant a great deal to her, obviously. I later made a plaque with it for her that's hanging up in our house.

Psalms 66:19 "But certainly God has heard me; He has attended to the voice of my prayer."
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    But since Peter Drucker was born in Austria and later lived in the USA, I don't know which version is originally from him (German or English).
    It is interesting to see a German quoting Drucker. I was not aware of his immigrant status. I studied for my Bachelor's degree at one of the schools affiliated with the Drucker School of Management.

Back on topic:

Proverbs 24:33-34
    New International Version

33 A little sleep, a little slumber,
    a little folding of the hands to rest—
    34 and poverty will come on you like a thief
    and scarcity like an armed man.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Probably the one verse that impacted me as much as any else, Eph 2:8-9 "8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast"

And this beautiful verse, perfect for Christmas day from Luke Chapter 2, "I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord." No matter what the day looks like, if we have good families or bad, whether we go out or stay at home, the real hope and joy of Christmas is that we celebrate the Savior of the world came to live on earth with us and give His life for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Probably the one verse that impacted me as much as any else, Eph 2:8-9 "8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast"
    This verse and its variant in the Letter to the Romans strongly influenced Martin Luther ("sola gratia"). I have a bit difficulties to understand the justice in "sola gratia". On the other hand, I like the song "Amazing Grace" very much, very similar story.

My favorite version of the song: Amazing Grace sung by Judy Collins, recorded in Cologne Cathedral in 1970 (also British military choir and Cologne cathedral choir are singing in the background).
    Last edited by P30; 12-25-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Jesus Chris is the same yesterday and today and forever. Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. --Hebrews 13:8-9

It’s such a simple verse but covers an immense amount of ground.

I like these verses because I myself am bald and would like to send she-bears after those little kids who mock my baldness. Elisha was a BAMF.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...4&version=KJ21

2 Kings 2:22-24

21st Century King James Version

22 So the waters were healed unto this day, according to the saying of Elisha which he spoke.

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel. And as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him and said unto him, “Go up, thou bald head! Go up, thou bald head!”

24 And he turned back and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two shebears out of the wood and tore forty and two children of them.

Hah.
    I actually have a sweatshirt from Babylon Bee with 2 Kings 2: 23-25 on it.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Really depends on what is going on in life but some of my favorites over the years -

This one reminds me of the master plan of God, the hope I have in Christ, and not to be swayed by the day to day instabilities and disruptions around me. My destiny is secure regardless of the chaos of life:

Romans 8:28-30 - We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. For those he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined he also called; and those he called he also justified; and those he justified, he also glorified.

This one reminds me of the meaning of life and that it is not about me -

Romans 11:36 - For from him and to him and through him are all things. To him be the glory forever. Amen.

Site Supporter
    I grew up going to church and remain a believer. I have observed that religion does not free us from cultural biases. I admit being comfortable with my world view that includes certain bias. I admit that I choose to have them. Some deny having biases yet their words and deeds say otherwise. I keep to myself, keep my mouth shut, and try not say or do unkind things. Keeping to myself helps.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I grew up going to church and remain a believer. I have observed that religion does not free us from cultural biases. I admit being comfortable with my world view that includes certain bias. I admit that I choose to have them. Some deny having biases yet their words and deeds say otherwise. I keep to myself, keep my mouth shut, and try not say or do unkind things. Keeping to myself helps.
    We all have biases; we are all ethnocentric to differing degrees. The test of character is whether we give voice to them, or act on them.

Hating an entire race/culture is wrong. I can understand why my friend's father, who made several amphibious assaults in the Pacific, referred to the Japanese as he did. It wasn't right, though.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List