Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite bible verses

Behold as the eyes of the servants are on the hands of their masters, As the eyes of the handmaid are on the hands of her mistress: so are our eyes unto the Lord our God, until he have mercy on us.
    Unless the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it. Unless the Lord keep the city, he watcheth in vain that keepeth it.
    I have gotten "too busy" to pray the Divine Office every day, but for quite a few years I managed at least Lauds and Vespers, and usually Compline, just about every day. Gotta get back to it.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Isaiah 54:17

No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, And their righteousness is from Me,” Says the LORD.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    And I'd think that the more important lesson to learn is to do something right, drawn from among the often vast selection of good things one might do in any given circumstance, rather than being paralyzed by searching for "the best" thing to do. In many or even most circumstances, there's a wide array of right things to do [...], and no such a thing as THE right thing.

BTW, the guy in my avatar, GK Chesterton, wrote "if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." Not as an excuse for not trying, but as a defense against excusing yourself from trying. It's more or less my motto, because I'm bad at a lot of stuff.
    Thank you for your valuable addition. As I understand you and Peter Drucker, if we do nothing, it does not help and we don't get training. Bad. If we do something, it probably helps and we get training. Better.

I googled for an English version and found this:

It's more important to do the right thing than to do things right.
    But since Peter Drucker was born in Austria and later lived in the USA, I don't know which version is originally from him (German or English).

PS:
    There are more English variants of the quote. For example:
    Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
    Also see goodreads.com/author/quotes/12008.Peter_F_Drucker. So - as you wrote - it's not so much about doing THE right thing but more about doing A right thing.
    Last edited by P30; 12-22-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Not a bible verse:

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms — to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” - Viktor Frankl

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

(Note: remember from a Sunday School lesson that we should note that no armor for the back is described. Interpreted as don't turn your back on the Lord's fight.)

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19 Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

Something I discuss with my pastor who is a real Mennonite, not some Johnny Come Lately to the Mennonite Church like me. I make a distinction between pacifism and peaceful and note that Jesus was a pacifist, but expected his disciples to be both peaceful and able to defend themselves against attack:

Luke 22: 35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
    37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’[b]; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Matthew 6:34.
    Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Proverbs 20.3 It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel. It helps keep me out of trouble.
    Companion proverbs 19.11 Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.

Psalm 118:24, "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it"

1 Samuel 17:47 "for the battle is the Lord's"

Philippians 4:13 in full context, it's about contentment and peace in all circumstances, not God granting us abilities to do cool things. 4:11 keeps me grounded. It's about withstanding, not achieving.

Philippians 4
    11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:
    12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
    13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Modern "Jesus is my boyfriend" services catering to stir emotion only have lost much of the reverence for the Mighty God we serve.
    Hebrews 10
    31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Fun one just for Christmas: Jeremiah calling out Christmas trees long before Christmas was a thing - fun fact my dad used this to avoid Christmas trees all together. Never had one till i was an adult... let me tell you, the man is a genius. Stupid trees are a pain to deal with, store, dispose, decorate, put up, take down, yadda yadda. He avoided all that nonsense. I haven't been so lucky, my wife loves the dang trees.
    Jeremiah 10
    1Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
    2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
    3For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
    4They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
    5They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

I love the book of Proverbs, so much good stuff in there. This one is well known, usually in a "be a good friend" way. But I always think of how iron does sharpen iron. With sparks. Friction. Noise. Heat. Grinding, shaving, reshaping. Being a good friend in sharpening one another isn't aways kumbayah and rainbows.
    Proverbs 27
    17 As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    ike me. I make a distinction between pacifism and peaceful and note that Jesus was a pacifist, but expected his disciples to be both peaceful and able to defend themselves against attack:[/I]

Luke 22: 35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
    37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’[b]; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied

From some apocrypha, surely:
    Jesus: "Buy one sword"
    Disciples: "we have two"
    Jesus: "Good. Two is one, one is none."
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Easy one for me. Love the verse and the context.

Joshua 24:15

Joshua’s Admonition

14 Joshua said, “Now, therefore, fear the Lord and serve him wholeheartedly and faithfully. Remove the gods that your fathers served in the region across the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 But if you see no benefit in serving the Lord,[a] then choose for yourselves today whomever you will serve—whether the gods that your fathers served beyond the River or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household—we will serve the Lord!”

User Tag List