Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite bible verses

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I grew up going to church and remain a believer. I have observed that religion does not free us from cultural biases. I admit being comfortable with my world view that includes certain bias. I admit that I choose to have them. Some deny having biases yet their words and deeds say otherwise. I keep to myself, keep my mouth shut, and try not say or do unkind things. Keeping to myself helps.

willie - a man reaches a certain age where being honest (or as it's said these days: "real") is absolutely the best policy. I find myself being honest far more these days, mainly because 'my time' is not as long as it once was.

Thanks for hitting my nail on the head.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Deepl translation of de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkle_Triade:
    The Machiavellian is [...] considered hypocritical, dishonest, opportunistic, promiscuous, and extraverted.
    @willie and @11B10: I'm glad you're no Machiavellians at all. Machiavellians are not pleasant (to say the least).

The following is one of my favorite Bible passages. It is Luke 4:16 -22 KJV where Jesus reads a passage out of Isaiah 61 in the synagogue in the town of Nazareth and he comments on the scripture's fulfillment.
    This passage has special meaning for me because Jesus pulled me out of a very dark time in my life and gave me Liberty.

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
    And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
    The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
    To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
    And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
    And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
    And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?"
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

John 14:1-3
    Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

One of my favorites, especially in these times—

KJV Psalms 5: 8-12

8Lead me, O Lord, in Thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make Thy way straight before my face. 9For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulcher; they flatter with their tongue. 10Destroy Thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against Thee. 11But let all those who put their trust in Thee rejoice; let them ever shout for joy, because Thou defendest them; let them also who love Thy name be joyful in Thee. 12For Thou, Lord, wilt bless the righteous; with favor wilt Thou compass him as with a shield.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

This is the most encouraging thread I have ever seen on a gun forum. Thank you all for contributing your favorite Bible verses.

I have started a "read the Bible in a year" program. I am just finishing up the life of Joseph in Genesis. It's awesome to read about when his life comes full circle and he can see the big picture of why all the craziness in his past happened starting with his brothers selling him into slavery.
    Genesis 50:20 KJV
    "But as for you, ye thought evil of me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive."
    Much of the world at that time was in the midst of a 7 year famine, but God gave Joseph wisdom and position to prepare Egypt for it so to save Joseph's family, Egypt and many surrounding areas from the famine.

The verses my family memorizes and try to live by are Proverbs 3:5&6 KJV - "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding; in all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

Another Proverb that I have been thinking of lately.
    Proverbs 21:31 KJV - "The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the Lord."
    I carry a gun, but gunfights are won by the Lord.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

KJV 1 Peter 5:7
    Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

NIV 1 Peter 5:7
    Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

This verse nearly knocked me over the first time I read it. The simplicity and clarity of it continues to have a significant impact on me. Whenever I'm overwhelmed with life, this verse resets my compass.

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” --- Micah 6:8
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I have started a "read the Bible in a year" program.
    I believe @Doc_Glock mentioned using a schedule that covers the Bible in a year, for several years. Overall 30 years straight I think he said.

I've been painstakingly slowly reading mine cover to cover. I stalled out and it's been nearly a year with me in the middle of the New Testament. I need to carve out that time again.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I believe @Doc_Glock mentioned using a schedule that covers the Bible in a year, for several years. Overall 30 years straight I think he said.

I've been painstakingly slowly reading mine cover to cover. I stalled out and it's been nearly a year with me in the middle of the New Testament. I need to carve out that time again.
    I have used the M'Cheyne plan for a very long time. Works for me. You can shrink this PDF and put it in your bible, or it is available on the "YouVersion" bible app under their reading plan section.

The last few years I have enjoyed using an audio bible that just reads it to me as I do my morning chores, also available on that app.

I think it is the OT once and NT, Psalms, Proverbs twice in a year. I do not find it un-manageable.

User Tag List