Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite bible verses

I have read the "One Year Bible" twice but never really liked how it broke things up. Now, I'm nearly done reading the New Testament cover to cover, and have liked that approach much better.

Site Supporter
    Though Christian, I would have been a good Jew because I emphasize the 10 Commandments and don't de-emphasize the Old-Testament's contribution. I think God helps those who help themselves. Further, my understanding is that Christianity promises Salvation. I think that Faith can give us strength. We pray to ask that requests be filled. They might be, but I don't see these favors being part of the deal.

Some folks desire freedom from religion, and I understand that. One reason is that religion has made some of us dumber in that narrow views sometimes cause us to be mean spirited or less charitable than we should be. Sometimes these views influence public policy. My religious upbringing reinforced several cultural biases. I still have them but in a diluted sense. Thankfully, I recognize how they originated.

I believe in Satan and have looked him in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    They did not talk much about how to implement or realize these values. What helped me a lot against propaganda is this wikipedia section: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_techniques#Specific_techniques. It lists many of the dirty propaganda tricks. Many of these tricks are used in order to mislead the people and to produce fear in the masses. If we know the tricks, we are less vulnerable against them.
    Thank you for pointing to this fascinating Wiki on Propaganda Techniques. I studied many of these concepts and fallacies way back in college, when I my coursework included studies in Logic, Philosophy and Debate. Very helpful to expose these ideas to all, especially in today's world, lest they be leveraged as an ever greater means of manipulation by those intent on doing harm.

I just discovered the Bible app Dwell. Really enjoying and learning/rediscovering as I listen while driving and walking.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by UpDok View Post
    The following is one of my favorite Bible passages. It is Luke 4:16 -22 KJV where Jesus reads a passage out of Isaiah 61 in the synagogue in the town of Nazareth and he comments on the scripture's fulfillment.
    This passage has special meaning for me because Jesus pulled me out of a very dark time in my life and gave me Liberty.

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
    And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
    The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
    To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
    And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
    And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
    And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?"
    Great verse! This speaks to his nature and how compassionate He is to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I have used the M'Cheyne plan for a very long time. Works for me. You can shrink this PDF and put it in your bible, or it is available on the "YouVersion" bible app under their reading plan section.

The last few years I have enjoyed using an audio bible that just reads it to me as I do my morning chores, also available on that app.

I think it is the OT once and NT, Psalms, Proverbs twice in a year. I do not find it un-manageable.
    Good stuff.

I finished a "Bible in a year" plan on the YouVersion last November. I am glad I did. Overall I was very happy with it. At times, the format was very repetitive, which was a distraction for me. I still highly recommend it.

I have the verse of the day that pops up on my phone. Today's was Proverbs 13:20.

He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: But a companion of fools shall be destroyed.

That sounds like the "Three S's" to me.

Site Supporter
    Two I'll make note of:

Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”

I think of this as a good check every time I'm feeling (usually unjustly) like I've been wronged in some way. Basically, there's no excuse to act poorly toward people, no matter what has happened to me.

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

This holds a special place with me as a scientist because the Word is translated from "logos" in Greek, which refers to the rational workings of the world (and understanding the workings of the world with reason). It emphasizes God as the source of order in the universe, not an exception.

a couple of verses of Psalm 144...

1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

11 Rid me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children, whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of falsehood:

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

This holds a special place with me as a scientist because the Word is translated from "logos" in Greek, which refers to the rational workings of the world (and understanding the workings of the world with reason). It emphasizes God as the source of order in the universe, not an exception.
    There is more theology to unpack in the prologue to John, and particularly in that verse, than I hope to be able to accomplish in the time I have remaining.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List