Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 more fun than G17?

Glock 19 more fun than G17?

I know the 17 and 19 are practically the same gun, but does anyone else find shooting the G19 more "fun". Not saying the G19 is an "better" or more "accurate", just that I find it more fun to shoot. Am else feel the same?

Well, no. Nines with short grips have never been fun to shoot, and that includes the G19, in my somewhat long hands, as the heel of the grip does not reach the “heel bone” of my hand. I have experimented with quite a few such Nines, since the Nineties. I acquired my first two G19 pistols, which were Gen4, in 2013/2014. They fit a special niche, in PD policy, as plain-clothed officers could carry 9mm G19 pistols, as primary weapons, while all uniformed personnel had to tote the normally-mandated Forties. My .40 SIG P229R had been vexing my aging right wrist since 2011, about the time I reached age 50, so I wanted a weapon with a lower bore axis, while also switching to 9mm, if I could transfer to a plain-clothed investigation position.

I had already bought a pre-owned G17, in 2012, so knew that a G17 was “orthopedic,” compared to the SIG, though the G17 was Gen3, which was not a best fit, in my hands, compared to Gen4. The grip width and volume of the Gen4 G19 pistols was better for my hands, than Gen3 Glocks, and the finger grooves actually fit my skinny fingers just fine, but, the G17 had the longer grip, that braced firmly against the heel of my hand. Then, in late 2015, the then-chief OK’ed 9mm duty pistols, for all personnel, and I bought a Gen4 G17, which became my primary duty pistol. In spite of my G19 pistols having a head start, I immediately shot the new Gen4 G17 much better. And, notably, I usually carried the larger G17 concealed, during personal time, as it was always the protruding rear of the slide that was the concealment challenge, and that is the same dimension, on both the G17 and G19.

Then, during my October 2017 “qual,” the G19 pistols started causing actual swelling, and a bit of discoloration, in my right thumb, hand, and wrist. Not just un-fun, but unhealthy. After two weeks, to let the swelling go down, and the pain go away, I qual’ed with my G17, and full-sized, all-steel 1911. No pain, no swelling. I cleaned and put-away my three Gen4 G19 pistols, and traded them away, in 2020. I had thought about keeping them, and only shooting them lefty, but, no, they were not fun to shoot, and not really any easier to conceal. I have added more G17 pistols, since I stopped shooting my G19 pistols; more comfortable, and more fun.

It is worth keeping a G26, and I may actually add a second G26, as they can fit into some truly useful concealment niches. I am not saying that a G26 is fun to shoot, of course.

Regarding accuracy, well, shooting accurately is, to me, an integral part of the fun. Burning through ammo, for its own sake, has never been fun.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    For me no also. I like the full size 17 size grip. My favorite of them all is the RTF2, I wish Glock would make that grip texture in Gen 5 but they won't because it destroys uniforms.

G45!!!

Shooting them side by side on a shot timer and scoring objectively (not just going off "feelings"), I found little to no difference in my ability to shoot my G17 and G19 well. A couple of times my scores were better with the G19, but I don't think much of that. To me, since they shoot the same, I opted to get rid of the 17 and keep the 19 since it's slightly easier to carry and I have a lot more G19 mags than G17 mags. In terms of fun, they feel about the same to me, although I have a slight preference for the 19. I have average sized hands though I guess they could be considered "meaty", but for some reason the shape and size of the G19 grip fits me very well.

Nope.

Going from a 26 or 19 to a 17 is like a pair of too small, uncomfortable boots to my best pair of bummin’ shoes.

The 17 shoots and tracks noticeably better than the 19/45/19X to me. Extra evident with an RMR.

Hmmm...not 100% sure about a 17, but my 34.5 is much more "fun" to shoot than my 19.5.

Most likely because it weighs more (has brass grip insert, tungsten guide rod) so the perceived recoil is less, plus the longer slide cycles slower (I would guess). I have a set of Talon granulate grips on it for USPSA, so it locks pretty well into my size M hands. And oddly with the M no beavertail backstrap it seems to fit my hand as well or better than my 19. I've heard the Glock grip hits certain hand types in certain ways, and it must be true in my case.

Having said that, the 19.5 is not a problem, shooting. I left it alone as it's one of my two EDC, so it just has an optic on a Forward Controls Plate. I did have a go at smoothing out the connector face as it was a little rough (a minus, if I recall correctly), but for a carry gun the trigger works as advertised with just a drop of oil on the trigger bar interface.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-22-2021 at 10:22 AM.

My Gen4 G17 is the most accurate Glock I've ever fired. But it's relegated to nightstand duty (with light mounted).

I've only compared it with my G26's and G19.

To me, they're all the same as far as "fun" factor.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I prefer my 4th Gen 17 to my 2nd Gen 19. Since I live in a ban state, my 26 is EDC and I shoot that decently. We are having a small gun match next month. If we ever had the ban lifted would I go back to a 19 for more rounds, I dunno? Might be tempted by one with optics as I don't have that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I prefer my 4th Gen 17 to my 2nd Gen 19. Since I live in a ban state, my 26 is EDC and I shoot that decently. We are having a small gun match next month. If we ever had the ban lifted would I go back to a 19 for more rounds, I dunno? Might be tempted by one with optics as I don't have that now.
    I've not yet fallen under the sway of pistol mounted dots. One on my AR is it. Maybe in 30 years or so.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List