Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas, but without the religion.

I've heard this discussion before, and my position is pretty simple:

This country was founded based on Christian beliefs and principles. Christmas is the Christian celebration of the year.

Merry Christmas.

If you don't like to hear or see that, don't look or listen.

I acknowledge your right to do so.

And don't tell me I have no right or that I am racist or politically incorrect when I say or write it.

I won't look or listen if you do.

Go find something else to be offended about. I'm sure you have plenty to choose from.

And again . . . . Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post

This country was founded based on Christian beliefs and principles. Christmas is the Christian celebration of the year.

Merry Christmas.

And don't tell me I have no right or that I am racist or politically incorrect when I say or write it.

Go find something else to be offended about. I'm sure you have plenty to choose from.

Who here are you arguing with?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    With respect to the Christians who really care, I suspect Christmas is as secular as Mother's Day to the vast majority.
    What is the favorite Christmas song of you US cowboys? I'm pretty sure, it's not from Mariah Carey.

For me, it's "Stille Nacht". I have a very precious memory, it was on Christmas eve in church and this song was sung. This is the most beautiful version I could find on YT. In English, it's "Silent Night", right? Do you sing it in the US, too? Tip: Listen to the song only on Christmas, it should not be sung and listened too often, it should remain something special.

This is exactly where the song originated on Christmas Eve 1818:

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfarrkirche_Oberndorf_bei_Salzburg
    Last edited by P30; 12-22-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    @P30 you’ll be happy to know that Krampus is making a bit of a comeback over here. He even showed up at one of our Christmas parades and local Facebook groups of worried mothers were full of more worry and anger than usual.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post

Merry Christmas.

I’m not a Christian, but I thought that would be Easter right? I mean trees indoors covered in lights and Yule logs and magic guys with flying reindeer who live at the North Pole all have roots in pagan northern european mythology. The Puritans weren’t wrong when they said Jesus wasn’t even born in December.

However, on that note I’ll still wish you a Merry Christmas and mean it because the days are short and dark and having a midwinter festival is pretty awesome.

To be honest, I had to look up Krampus. The article says, dude comes from Bavaria/Czechia. Most of my grandparents come from there but they never told me about Krampus. I live in the western part of Germany, now. Here we have "Knecht Ruprecht", seems to be Krampus' competitor, here.

Site Supporter
    If there is chocolate candy involved, it is a good holiday. If there are pastries involved, it's a good holiday. If you give me a present it's a good holiday. Just don't try to convert me or say that you have the only channel to whatever you think is out there. I'll wish you your holiday and if you wish me yours without preaching, that's fine.

Being a mixed theological family, I revel in the various chocolate paradigms. Pragmatically, hanging up Merry Christmas signs doesn't bother. More specifically religious messages in government joints, I'll pass on that.

This is funny. At Brooklyn College, way back the 60's - the chimes on the clock tower started to play Christmas Carols on the hour and half hour. Given the religious population demographics, there were some objections. Thus, on the quarter hour, they played Hava Nagila. Quite the laugh, and next year, they went back to Ding Dong.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Who here are you arguing with?
    Just to be clear here . . . . . not arguing with anyone at all, and if it came across that way it is because of my occasional inability to clearly express myself. Just wanted to share my opinion.

And . . . . I can't argue that Easter might be the Christian holiday. I call it a toss-up and will extend my Happy Easter greetings at the appropriate time.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    What is the favorite Christmas song of you US cowboys? I'm pretty sure, it's not from Mariah Carey.

For me, it's "Stille Nacht". I have a very precious memory, it was on Christmas eve in church and this song was sung. This is the most beautiful version I could find on YT. In English, it's "Silent Night", right? Do you sing it in the US, too? Tip: Listen to the song only on Christmas, it should not be sung and listened too often, it should remain something special.

This is exactly where the song originated on Christmas Eve 1818:

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfarrkirche_Oberndorf_bei_Salzburg
    There is a documentary about this song that was recently showing on the CW Network:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6045924/

Site Supporter
    The only issue, IMHO, is the state promoting one specific theology with the financial and compulsory resources of the state. When a holiday moves to have general and generic meaning for most - like Merry Christmas or a White House tree - not a problem. Saying that the USA should be a country of one state religion (as some have), nope. It's simple. Now send me more holiday chocolate, we are eating through what we have now. Other countries can have a state religion. Not here. If I want a state religion country, I can go there. You can find countries of many state religions out there.

User Tag List