Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas, but without the religion.

Merry Christmas, but without the religion.

Thought I'd post here, but if it needs to be moved, fine with me.

Link to full article, I won't copy the entire article here.

https://www.wect.com/2021/12/20/colu...group-alleges/

I was reading through that article about a group upset with one of the nearby County Sheriff's Office having a religious statement on their wall and wasn't thinking too much one way or the other until I ran across this gem:

Begin QUOTE

"Last Christmas, the sheriff’s office posted Merry Christmas to all and happy birthday to our Lord and Savior. Of course, we don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying Merry Christmas, of course, but making it a religious thing, really focusing on the religious aspect is what was concerning, and just concerned us the sheriff’s office was promoting Christianity through official communication channels, like its Facebook page, and kind of just coming off like it, you know, viewed one, religion as better than others,” Line said."
    END QUOTE

Nothing wrong with Merry Christmas, so long as it's not religious!!!?????

errrrrrr, I'm at a loss for words.

Site Supporter
    Merry Christmas!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Not every one who wishes a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah is a member of the faith...and while it doesn't upset me in the least, I suppose I can understand why someone might feel that it's not the place for a public agency to appear aligned to one or another faith. No one wants to feel that their group is marginalized, intentionally or not.

I never worked at the state or county level, but it was a thing at the federal level during the holidays as I recall.

But I understand what your point is.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Not every one who wishes a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah is a member of the faith...and while it doesn't upset me in the least, I suppose I can understand why someone might feel that it's not the place for a public agency to appear aligned to one or another faith. No one wants to feel that their group is marginalized, intentionally or not.

I never worked at the state or county level, but it was a thing at the federal level during the holidays as I recall.

But I understand what your point is.
    Understand

And to be honest, I wish that Sheriff had responded differently when he finally did. Instead of "we need more Jesus " he should have said "yes it's a Christian saying and I'm proud of it, but my department will treat everyone with equal respect, dignity, compassion, regardless of their religious beliefs "

I can also Envision a scenario where somewhere in the future one of the employees of that agency will come forth and state that they felt coerced into participating in the sheriff's religious beliefs, when they belong to a different religion themselves. And then sue the department for religious discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Merry Christmas!
    With or without the religion???

Thanks to that guy now every time someone says Merry Christmas to me in the office, at the store, on the street, excetera, I am going to have to ask them if they're being religious or not!

Site Supporter
    Happy/Merry RamaHanaKwanzMas. Or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Now that's taking "Pascal's Wager" to the next level.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I think Festivus would be the appropriate celebration here....or something 'really' close to that

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    No love for saturnalia?! heathen! ;p

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

Nothing wrong with Merry Christmas, so long as it's not religious!!!?????

errrrrrr, I'm at a loss for words.

So lets make it commercialized.

Merry Christmas, now go hit the ammo/deals, etc. sites.

User Tag List