Thread: Sig 229 versus 229R holster fit

Sig 229 versus 229R holster fit

I recently acquired a Sig 229 out of an estate. I am not a fan of the platform or of DA/SA in general, but it was an incredible deal. I can afford to have some extra iron, and I think there is value in training on it. You never know when you might need to pick one up and fight with it. I am thinking about buying a Beretta 92 for the same reason.

Anyway, I need a holster for the 229, and I am looking for deals on used, high quality rigs. I have seen several options on eBay and elsewhere that are made to fit a 229 with a rail. My pistol has no rail. Will it work with those rail holsters or will it be too loose? There is a JMCK OWB rig online that I am thinking of buying and also a Mitch Rosen.

Any advice and/or experience would be most welcome.

Thanks.

For most holsters the issue will not be the rail. Rails have been on the P226 and P229 for well over a decade now. Any of the big manufacturers will fit the railed p229/P226 including the JMCK AIWB holsters I own.

The primary holsters issues On P229 is the slide width for .40 vs narrower slide for P229 9mm. For a kydex holster it will matter. The Mk25 (P226) will have a different shaped railed that can be holster incompatible but for P229 it shouldn’t matter.

Congrats on the P229. If it’s a newer production / long extractor pistol I’d suggest running it before carrying….I’ve had plenty of problems with these pistols after ~2015. I still carry my P229 357 sig as it shoots so nicely and just works for me. Problem is I prefer a 92G or Glock 17 so the P229 usually stays home.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    For most holsters the issue will not be the rail. Rails have been on the P226 and P229 for well over a decade now. Any of the big manufacturers will fit the railed p229/P226 including the JMCK AIWB holsters I own.

The primary holsters issues On P229 is the slide width for .40 vs narrower slide for P229 9mm. For a kydex holster it will matter. The Mk25 (P226) will have a different shaped railed that can be holster incompatible but for P229 it shouldn’t matter.

Congrats on the P229. If it’s a newer production / long extractor pistol I’d suggest running it before carrying….I’ve had plenty of problems with these pistols after ~2015. I still carry my P229 357 sig as it shoots so nicely and just works for me. Problem is I prefer a 92G or Glock 17 so the P229 usually stays home.
    Thanks. My pistol was first sold retail in 1998. It included the original plastic box, original receipt, and 3 ten-round mags from the AWB era. It is chambered in .357 Sig. For $350 I couldn't pass it up.

For EDC, I am a devotee of H&K LEM pistols. More often than not I carry a USP45 or HK45C. A P30 is also in the mix if I feel the need for a 9mm. My goal is always to be able to pick up any handgun and shoot well with it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Thanks. My pistol was first sold retail in 1998. It included the original plastic box, original receipt, and 3 ten-round mags from the AWB era. It is chambered in .357 Sig. For $350 I couldn't pass it up.

For EDC, I am a devotee of H&K LEM pistols. More often than not I carry a USP45 or HK45C. A P30 is also in the mix if I feel the need for a 9mm. My goal is always to be able to pick up any handgun and shoot well with it.
    IME leather holster for railed guns will work for non rail guns. For kydex YMMV.

On another note - a 40 caliber barrel and a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel can make this a three caliber gun.

The 40/357 mags for the P229 are the same and IME will function well enough with 9mm for range use.

If you ever decide you don’t want that 229…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    ... My pistol has no rail. Will it work with those rail holsters or will it be too loose? ...
    FWIW, I have a Kramer MSP that seemed like the fit was loose when I tried a non-railed P229.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List