Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RDS on .40 S&W pistols

RDS on .40 S&W pistols

I spent a few hours searching this topic and saw only a few references to optics on .40s. I am relatively new to red dots and had CGW mount a Holosun 507C on my CZ 75 slide. I am a convert, as I can wear my corrective lenses to shoot. I have a CZ 40P that was my CCW pistol for several years and I am considering having it milled for a Holosun. Since the .40 is harder on my hands than the 9, I assume it would be harder on the optic, as well. I like the idea but am afraid durability might be a serious issue. I'd appreciate input from some of the SMEs and folks with experience in this department. Thank you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I spent a few hours searching this topic and saw only a few references to optics on .40s. I am relatively new to red dots and had CGW mount a Holosun 507C on my CZ 75 slide. I am a convert, as I can wear my corrective lenses to shoot. I have a CZ 40P that was my CCW pistol for several years and I am considering having it milled for a Holosun. Since the .40 is harder on my hands than the 9, I assume it would be harder on the optic, as well. I like the idea but am afraid durability might be a serious issue. I'd appreciate input from some of the SMEs and folks with experience in this department. Thank you.
    The logic is sound. However in my experience the key to optics durability is your mounting system. My local city police department approved optics on 40 Cal MMPs about a year ago. They’ve had issues with the mounting system more than the Optics them selves.

Aimpoint made a point of testing the ACRO on .40 cal Glocks. I have a Glock 35 GEN four MOS which I’ve been running as a competition gun due to access to surplus 40. I’m running an SRO in a C&H Precision Mount so far it’s held up. A coworker just borrowed it to attend a recent collaboration class between Green Ops and graybeard actual. He shot his 9 mm duty gun until he ran out of 9 mm practice ammo and then put about 500 rounds of 40 through the G 35 with no issues.

I have not used an optic on a .40SW myself.

Going back to the earlier days of pistol optics, and like HCM wrote, there was a lot of discussion about the effects .40 recoil impulse was having. Enough so that Aimpoint advertised the .40SW testing.

I have a 509T and Acro on Glock 23 slides, and no issues so far with optics or plates.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I’m planning on having my 27.5 milled for a RMR as soon as my ACRO P-2 gets here for the 19.5 where it lives now. I’m not anticipating any problems, my perception is the Gen5 Glock .40s are much easier shooting than my old 23.2 due to the increased slide mass.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

one data point, Holosun 507K2 on a G23.5 MOS for 9 months and at least 1,500 rounds, zero issues, no loosening.

I do suspect it is harder on the optic and the mounts, but have never heard anything quantitative about it.

I plan on having my M&P milled for my ACRO that I ordered in October, but it probably won’t be until spring.

I have a G23.4 slide out for milling now. It will get a Holosun 509T mounted when i get it back. We’ll see how well it does!

Posting on this existing thread, just curious what actual real world first hand experiences people have had with durability of dots with higher momentum pistol cartridges.

I am not quite sure how the actual slide velocity, or momentum/abrupt stop G forces of a G21 slide compares to a G17.

My G23.5 with the 507K now belongs to a good friend who reports he has put another 1K down range with no ill effects, still not a big test at probably 2,500 rounds.

I am contemplating having my favorite G21 direct milled to put a 407CO on it. But I have never personally known somebody who put an Optic on a G21 and shot it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Posting on this existing thread, just curious what actual real world first hand experiences people have had with durability of dots with higher momentum pistol cartridges.

I am not quite sure how the actual slide velocity, or momentum/abrupt stop G forces of a G21 slide compares to a G17.

My G23.5 with the 507K now belongs to a good friend who reports he has put another 1K down range with no ill effects, still not a big test at probably 2,500 rounds.

I am contemplating having my favorite G21 direct milled to put a 407CO on it. But I have never personally known somebody who put an Optic on a G21 and shot it a lot.
    I had a M&P 45 that I had a RMR direct milked on, and shot it quite a bit without issue.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List