Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: California to spend $250M (of $300M) for in-store police presence to reduce looting

This nonsense started with the California Public Safety Realignment Act of 2011 (AB109) that kicked a metric ton of convicted felons out of state prisons. Basically, a person could be sentenced to prison for 5 years, but they would be out on "supervised release" and it put the responsibility of supervising on county probation departments instead of on state parole. So suddenly, you could rob someone at gunpoint, but plea the charges down to a lesser "non-violent crime" like "petty theft from person" and you would be on "supervised release" (never having stepped foot in a state prison) and be supervised by a county probation officer.

In a big county in California like mine pre-2011 most probation officers supervised maybe 50 probationers. Once AB109 passed that probation officer was now supervising around 1200 probationers. So how much supervising to do you think actually occurred?

Then in 2014, voters in this state passed Prop 47, which was labeled Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act (it had nothing to do with either). This changed all of the larceny laws and made any theft under $950 a misdemeanor. It also got rid of "Petty Theft With Prior Convictions" and changed PAST CONVICTIONS from being felonies to misdemeanors. Remember the guy before I talked about that robbed someone at gunpoint, but plead it down to a lesser sentence? Not only did he never go to prison, but now he doesn't even have a felony convictions. It also essentially made hard drug use (meth, coke, PCP, heroin, LSD, etc.) misdemeanors instead of felonies and overturned any prior felony convictions so lots of "felons" no longer were felons. This one piece of legislation set us on the course to where we find ourselves now. I cannot overemphasize how much this single piece of legislation has destroyed our criminal justice system in this state.

In 2016, voters passed Prop 57, which further reduced sentencing and overturned more past felony convictions.

In 2019, our legislature passed AB392 which severely limited police officers' ability (and legal protection) to use force.

In 2020, more legislation was passed, such as taking away police officers' ability to use a carotid restraint.

In 2021, SB2 and SB16 was just passed which further strips police officers' ability to use force and makes them subject to a "state board" to review their ability to maintain their job and further opens them to liability.

While all this had been happening, Soros-backed "district attorneys" (I'll use the term loosely) have been aggressively prosecuting cops for both current and sometimes long past use of force.

In summary, violent criminals are no longer punished and it's been clearly messaged that they won't be held accountable which in turn emboldens them to do whatever they want.

At the same time, police officers are now open to huge liability such as being sued without qualified immunity, losing their job or going to prison while their departments have been "defunded" and are now understaffed while the media (especially locally) continues to slam the police for everything we do.

Law enforcement morale in California is at an all time low and crime no longer has punishment.

So with all this information in mind, I'll let you decide if you think sticking a cop in a store will do anything.

The people that created this mess (as well as our homeless issue which is directly connected) think throwing money at it will make it go away. They spent ten years creating this mess. Now they are reaping the results.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    This nonsense started with the California Public Safety Realignment Act of 2011 (AB109) that kicked a metric ton of convicted felons out of state prisons. Basically, a person could be sentenced to prison for 5 years, but they would be out on "supervised release" and it put the responsibility of supervising on county probation departments instead of on state parole. So suddenly, you could rob someone at gunpoint, but plea the charges down to a lesser "non-violent crime" like "petty theft from person" and you would be on "supervised release" (never having stepped foot in a state prison) and be supervised by a county probation officer.

In a big county in California like mine pre-2011 most probation officers supervised maybe 50 probationers. Once AB109 passed that probation officer was now supervising around 1200 probationers. So how much supervising to do you think actually occurred?

Then in 2014, voters in this state passed Prop 47, which was labeled Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act (it had nothing to do with either). This changed all of the larceny laws and made any theft under $950 a misdemeanor. It also got rid of "Petty Theft With Prior Convictions" and changed PAST CONVICTIONS from being felonies to misdemeanors. Remember the guy before I talked about that robbed someone at gunpoint, but plead it down to a lesser sentence? Not only did he never go to prison, but now he doesn't even have a felony convictions. It also essentially made hard drug use (meth, coke, PCP, heroin, LSD, etc.) misdemeanors instead of felonies and overturned any prior felony convictions so lots of "felons" no longer were felons. This one piece of legislation set us on the course to where we find ourselves now. I cannot overemphasize how much this single piece of legislation has destroyed our criminal justice system in this state.

In 2016, voters passed Prop 57, which further reduced sentencing and overturned more past felony convictions.

In 2019, our legislature passed AB392 which severely limited police officers' ability (and legal protection) to use force.

In 2020, more legislation was passed, such as taking away police officers' ability to use a carotid restraint.

In 2021, SB2 and SB16 was just passed which further strips police officers' ability to use force and makes them subject to a "state board" to review their ability to maintain their job and further opens them to liability.

While all this had been happening, Soros-backed "district attorneys" (I'll use the term loosely) have been aggressively prosecuting cops for both current and sometimes long past use of force.

In summary, violent criminals are no longer punished and it's been clearly messaged that they won't be held accountable which in turn emboldens them to do whatever they want.

At the same time, police officers are now open to huge liability such as being sued without qualified immunity, losing their job or going to prison while their departments have been "defunded" and are now understaffed while the media (especially locally) continues to slam the police for everything we do.

Law enforcement morale in California is at an all time low and crime no longer has punishment.

So with all this information in mind, I'll let you decide if you think sticking a cop in a store will do anything.

The people that created this mess (as well as our homeless issue which is directly connected) think throwing money at it will make it go away. They spent ten years creating this mess. Now they are reaping the results.
    Can't like this post enough. Everything KevH says here is what I was trying to explain to every non cop voter in my community for the last 10 years. The people voted for this. The fact that they were too lazy, ignorant and apathetic to actually READ what they were voting for doesn't change that.

A fellow Sergeant and I were getting coffee at a local place a few years ago and were approached by a young woman with a baby. She wanted to tell us about the out of control auto burglary and drug use problems in her expensive neighborhood (Alamo Square for those who know). We explained reporting procedures, advised contacting the local community group to share her concerns, gave her the District Community Meeting schedule where the Captain of that station would be in attendance, etc. Then we explained the changes to drug laws wrought by Prop 47, which made changing the behavior of those shooting heroin on her front steps nigh impossible, even temporarily. She asked "What idiots voted for that? I don't remember that being on the ballot!" She then accused us of lying, and being "on the take" for the drug dealers.

The only part of KeH' post I disagree with is that our politicians think money will solve this. They know that it won't.....thats the whole point. The chaos, crime and disorder is a feature of the plan, not a bug. I mean...its not like they've been writing openly about doing this for the last 70 years or so. Oh...wait...

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Can't like this post enough. Everything KevH says here is what I was trying to explain to every non cop voter in my community for the last 10 years. The people voted for this. The fact that they were too lazy, ignorant and apathetic to actually READ what they were voting for doesn't change that.

A fellow Sergeant and I were getting coffee at a local place a few years ago and were approached by a young woman with a baby. She wanted to tell us about the out of control auto burglary and drug use problems in her expensive neighborhood (Alamo Square for those who know). We explained reporting procedures, advised contacting the local community group to share her concerns, gave her the District Community Meeting schedule where the Captain of that station would be in attendance, etc. Then we explained the changes to drug laws wrought by Prop 47, which made changing the behavior of those shooting heroin on her front steps nigh impossible, even temporarily. She asked "What idiots voted for that? I don't remember that being on the ballot!" She then accused us of lying, and being "on the take" for the drug dealers.

The only part of KeH' post I disagree with is that our politicians think money will solve this. They know that it won't.....thats the whole point. The chaos, crime and disorder is a feature of the plan, not a bug. I mean...its not like they've been writing openly about doing this for the last 70 years or so. Oh...wait...
    ETA: yes I know this reply can be seen as "political", but law enforcement is inherently politically charged by its nature...since we're dealing with the publics liberty. I know some don't like to impute motive into legislation, but like I said.....they've been saying they'd do this for 70 years.

IIRC that proposal involved paying off duty cops to work those details. Good luck trying to find cops who want to do that for all the reasons KevH and AMC outlined.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    IIRC that proposal involved paying off duty cops to work those details. Good luck trying to find cops who want to do that for all the reasons KevH and AMC outlined.
    Literally every department is understaffed and overtime is beyond plentiful. In fact, most departments are forcing officers to work overtime just to have minimal staffing.

You would literally have to be out of your mind to work a retail theft gig unless it was made painfully clear that you were expected to do absolutely nothing and not be seen...and if that were the case then what is the point?

Stories like this don't help:
    https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...macys/2759811/

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Literally every department is understaffed and overtime is beyond plentiful. In fact, most departments are forcing officers to work overtime just to have minimal staffing.

You would literally have to be out of your mind to work a retail theft gig unless it was made painfully clear that you were expected to do absolutely nothing and not be seen...and if that were the case then what is the point?
    Hey I completely understand that. When I was working I was all about easy off duty and overtime gigs. The risk versus the reward in those details would be unacceptable to me. I wouldn’t be involved.

We had big off duty details like big and running events where they didn’t get enough volunteers and people were told they were working it. Do you see departments making it mandatory?
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Hey I completely understand that. When I was working I was all about easy off duty and overtime gigs. The risk versus the reward in those details would be unacceptable to me. I wouldn’t be involved.

We had big off duty details like big and running events where they didn’t get enough volunteers and people were told they were working it. Do you see departments making it mandatory?
    Our department is already making it mandatory. The follow on to this is the mayor's new plan to tackle the suddenly important rampant drug crime in the Tenderloin. Not that it's a felony again...and not that it's gonna be prosecuted by the DA. But cops will be redeployed from other assignments to aggressively go after the drug dealers. Neat idea. About a decade too late, but...

The staffing crisis is real and getting worse. And the political attention suddenly paid to rising crime doesn't change the fact that these same people continue to restrict LE Use of Force Options to deal with these criminal actors. We are, in my opinion, in a cascade failure in my city at this point. No traditional incentive options will increase hiring or retention.

When we used to hold testing for the Police Department, we'd get 3000 people show up over a weekend to test for spots in the Academy. Last Saturday we held the Physical Agility test for a 2022 Academy class. 35 applicants showed up. Not passed.....showed up.

In my department it hasn't been mandatory. When no one signed up (shocking) they re-assigned already on-duty motors and the gang team to do it.

Things are only going to get worse around here.

I agree with @AMC about the staffing crisis. It is very very real. Most police academy classes for decades in this area had 60+ to start with and that was after turning a lot of people away. They're lucky right now if they can get 25 in them and many are quality that we would have rejected a short time ago. Meanwhile anyone that can possibly retire is retiring and our glorious former governor, Moonbeam Brown, completely screwed up CalPERS (our retirement system) so bad that once our ~15 year cops start doing the math and realizing they are maxed out they're going to leave. I have long enough left that I may see the pendulum start to swing back before I retire, but man, is it going to get bad before that.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    ETA: yes I know this reply can be seen as "political", but law enforcement is inherently politically charged by its nature...since we're dealing with the publics liberty.
    Agreed, which is why the 'specific to LE/crime/topic' rule exists for this forum. This law/this policy has the effect of X is both within the rules and necessary to have these sorts of discussions. We are part of the executive branch, after all, so LE is political just by being LE. Your post is well within the guidelines, and useful to the discussion. What was removed was the generic: "Party X sucks" and "they get what they voted for" sort of stuff that is neither.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Our department is already making it mandatory.
    Out of curiosity, what are your normal shifts? I mean length wise?

We've only done mandatory OT during the riots and during a few special events. We work 8.5s normally (well, street officers do), cycles work 10s. Mandatory OT is usually 12hr or until end of events.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List