Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California to spend $250M (of $300M) for in-store police presence to reduce looting

California to spend $250M (of $300M) for in-store police presence to reduce looting

Very interested on opinions on this (mods, please move if in the wrong forum). I imagine 75% will be in high-end stores in high-end neighborhoods with little benefit for small businesses. What could go wrong?

Do they plan to arrest, prosecute, and jail looters? Or are police just intended to be human shields?

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Do they plan to arrest, prosecute, and jail looters? Or are police just intended to be human shields?
    I'd bet the mansion on them being brought up on charges at the first use of any (reasonable and articulable) level of force to effect an arrest.

I'd love to be proven wrong.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Very interested on opinions on this (mods, please move if in the wrong forum). I imagine 75% will be in high-end stores in high-end neighborhoods with little benefit for small businesses. What could go wrong?
    Do you want input from the LE side on effectiveness/issues or more of a general political bent that the thread has already taken? If you want the first I'll clean up the thread and leave it here. If you want the second, I'll leave the thread as is and move it to politics.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

This problem wasn't made in the last 12-20 months. The causal factors go back several years.

Start with changing the difference between grand and petty theft from $400 to $950, then look at all of the treatment & diversion programs because the media & others sold the lie that crooks were going straight to the Pen without a chance for treatment. This was followed by trying to radically drop the number of bodies in CDC-R and county jails through parole & probation shifts. Add in the positions about race that are being hammered on daily. And, finally, consider the cops in some places having very different concerns with media/organization/political/public reactions than coppers in other parts of the country might.

The above has been going for quite a while. It led to these mob looting events.

These issues need to be fixed first.

Site Supporter
    V2.0 NYPD Stake Out Squad

One of the best NCOs I ever served under shared this elsewhere:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...SAphcTh2PC11Ew

Interesting part:

" ... Security guards did detain one woman and a male juvenile for allegedly interfering with the arrests of the suspects. There is no known connection between the detainees and the suspects, according to police.

The detainment of the pair set off criticisms from some witnesses who say police were too rough with them when they arrived on scene.

"The officers decides to get excessively close to my mom, and essentially grabs her arm. She had to fling his arm off and he got more upset when she was saying what he was doing was wrong. And that’s when he decided to grab her and slam her to the floor," Anna Hamed, the daughter of the woman who was detained, told NBC Bay Area."

Yes, we grab arms in order to handcuff people. You're probably going to get cuffed if you interfere. And, naturally, the media reports the crooks' assertions as fact.

You won't see any Stakeout Squads out here. Word from inside one of the best entities to ever do that kind of work, and two platoons that regularly supported them, is that they aren't doing anywhere near that sort of stuff very often anymore.

So how much does it cost a city to prosecute a shop lifter/looter?

Can unarmed security actually make an arrest?

If arrested, will they be given a reason not to do it again?

Probably a few of the reasons we're going to a lot more looters/shoplifters.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Do you want input from the LE side on effectiveness/issues or more of a general political bent that the thread has already taken? If you want the first I'll clean up the thread and leave it here. If you want the second, I'll leave the thread as is and move it to politics.
    At the OP's request, this thread will be LE/criminal justice concerns specific. Please leave the general political stuff out, we get it, there's no meat on that bone.

I think @Erick Gelhaus posts are worth reading twice.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'd bet the mansion on them being brought up on charges at the first use of any (reasonable and articulable) level of force to effect an arrest.

I'd love to be proven wrong.
    You're not wrong. I don't have the citation at hand, but the 9th Circuit frowns on using any force on misdemeanants.

User Tag List