Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson 43C vs Ruger LCR .22

With these two particular rimfire revolvers and the topic of small caliber pistols getting more attention over the last six months, I'm hoping more people have some time behind each. In short, is there a reason for a S&W revolver guy to forego the 43c and opt for the LCR? I'm strictly talking reliability. FWIW, I prefer S&W J frames to the LCR line in every way other than sights.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    With these two particular rimfire revolvers and the topic of small caliber pistols getting more attention over the last six months, I'm hoping more people have some time behind each. In short, is there a reason for a S&W revolver guy to forego the 43c and opt for the LCR? I'm strictly talking reliability. FWIW, I prefer S&W J frames to the LCR line in every way other than sights.
    I don’t think so. I like the 43C better after a few thousand through both but it did have to go back to S&W to become reliable.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for bringing this back up, I have been thinking about a 43C recently as an alternative to my Keltec P32 when I need something as light as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Thanks for bringing this back up, I have been thinking about a 43C recently as an alternative to my Keltec P32 when I need something as light as possible.
    Just weighed both of mine as your comment made me curious. I used a cheap luggage scale.

43c loaded weight (8 rounds) 12.5oz
    Keltec P32 loaded weight (7 rounds) 10oz

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    Just weighed both of mine as your comment made me curious. I used a cheap luggage scale.

Closer than I thought they would be!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I have around 2300 rounds documented through through my 43c and roughly that many more that I didn’t write down in my range log. Mine has the hammer spring from a 642 in it and runs quite well.

I’ve never seen anyone sing the praises of the XS Big Dot as a precision front sight however, I’ve managed to keep all eight shots in the head box of an IPSC target at fifteen yards.
    Thanks for the insights!

So you had a gunsmith replace the factory spring with a 642 spring? I'm wondering if that's why you're having better luck with your 43C?

And would you say it's easier to get a fast sight picture with the XS Big Dot vs a basic metal front ramp sight or would you prefer a set of sights on the 43C like the Ruger LCR 22lr has?

Grip Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Attachment 81553

But it also doesn't have the 43C's glaring flaws in small parts.

All in all if I had to keep one, it would be the 43C for the following reasons:

1. It is way lighter.
    2. I don't short stroke it.
    3. It is marginally smaller.
    4. The overall package feels more quality over time.
    First of all, thanks for taking the time to write this post. Very, very helpful to me as I'm debating the two options!

I was wondering if the Hogue grips on the Ruger would be a plus or minus -- do you prefer one set of grips over the other? And would the Ruger grips be a nuisance in concealed carry because of their size and rubbery-ness?

Also, do you get the feel that the 43c will last longer than the Ruger without parts breaking - it sounds like some of the parts might not be made for a lifetime like heavier S&W revolvers?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsleeve1 View Post
    First of all, thanks for taking the time to write this post. Very, very helpful to me as I'm debating the two options!

I was wondering if the Hogue grips on the Ruger would be a plus or minus -- do you prefer one set of grips over the other? And would the Ruger grips be a nuisance in concealed carry because of their size and rubbery-ness?

Also, do you get the feel that the 43c will last longer than the Ruger without parts breaking - it sounds like some of the parts might not be made for a lifetime like heavier S&W revolvers?
    No grip preference. Well, actually that is for shooting. For carry, yes I like the less rubbery 43C grips.

Heck if I know which will last longer without breaking? Both companies stand behind their products well regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post

Between these two, if the P32 is reliable (and mine is), I would have to opt for the P32. Smaller pistol, much easier to carry in a pocket, with a better defensive capability.

That being said, I can certainly understand one going with the 43c if you favor revolvers.

Hate to revive an older thread, but this has been the best comparison I've seen between these two snubbies, by far.

Doc_Glock, did you use use speed loaders with these revolvers? I'm trying to figure out if 8-shot, .22 LR speed loaders from Speed Beez, 5-Star, etc. will work for both given they tend to have a little slop when rounds are loaded anyway.

And has your view changed at all, or is the 43C still your favorite between the two?

User Tag List