Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckmark magazines - factory vs ProMag

Site Supporter

Buckmark magazines - factory vs ProMag

Got a new Buckmark and want some more mags. I have about 8 factory but could use a few more for steel as reloading is pain at a match. So factory seems about $31 but ProMags are $17. However the reviews of the latter are mixed. Any experience? Since the match isn't life or death, saving a buck hit the mark. Haha.

I've had but one experience with ProMags, and it was bad enough I'll never buy them again for any reason. Factory mags is definitely the way I'd go on this.

Site Supporter
    My Mini -14 mags stunk, IIRC. Thanks.

You would be better off to take a torch to $17.
    Taking a break from social media.

Pretty sure it was a Pro-mag that was given to me FREE, it would not feed hollow points. FWIW Buckmark new magazine bases are slightly thicker then the old metal base mags and they sometimes need a little extra pressure to click in secured or they fall out.

Attachment 81502

Attachment 81503

The new style still has a metal base, it is much bigger.

I’ve never knowingly bought a Promag in the past 15+ years based on their reputation. Normally I’d be willing to experiment to save a buck or several, but when there’s so much smoke over so many years, there’s bound to be a fire there somewhere.

I view Triple K mags the same way but their reputation might not be quite as bad.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Friends don't let friends buy ProMag!

Setting fire to your cash is a better way to utilize it

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    It is amazing though, that a few little pieces of metal and springs cost $31. Oh, well. Big old AR mags are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It is amazing though, that a few little pieces of metal and springs cost $31. Oh, well. Big old AR mags are cheaper.
    The price of rimfire pistol magazines is something that’s stuck in my craw since I bought my first Buckmark in the early ‘00s.

The good ones are “expensive” and the cheap ones aren’t reliable but I’m not convinced it has to be that way. I think some of it is “this is what the market will bear, why change?” but unfortunately I don’t have the design skills/industry contacts/manufacturing capability to test my theory.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List