Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-4:30 IWB HOLSTERS

Site Supporter
    Regarding cant, while some cant helps conceal the end of the grip, too much causes the back end of the slide to print with guns having a long back end like Glocks. I have not yet carried a gun with an optic, but could imagine too much cant increasing optic printing. Also, too much cant requires a less comfortable wrist position when grabbing the gun.

My carry position is about 3:30, making 15 degrees the absolute maximum that will work well. Zero cant can work well in that position for a subcompact semiauto. I really appreciate a 10 degree cant option, which for me is perfect. Ten degrees works well with everything from a P365 to a Glock 19 for me. I have not carried a full size 1911 in years (it was never an everyday choice), but 15 has worked well for that gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have gone entirely to JM Custom Kydex IWB #3 with a 10 degree cant, full sweat guard, wide hole spacing, and pul the dot loops.
    ^^^^ For kydex, absolutely this. I have LH + RH versions for my Kahr K9. (mine might be 15 degree cant)

For leather... Milt Sparks, Sam Andrews, Kramer, TT Gunleather, or Privateer.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

I have not yet carried a gun with an optic, but could imagine too much cant increasing optic printing.
    FWIW, I have experience carrying the same gun, with and without an optic, over the past two years (Glock 19, Glock 48, P365x), and I'd have to say adding the optic has zero impact on printing.

Site Supporter
    One other characteristic I want in an IWB holster is sitting as deeply in the pants as possible while still allowing a full firing grip. A holster that sits higher than necessary will print more as the wearer bends at the waist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

While I can't speak to function of iwb holsters in that position as I don't carry like that I can speak to quality leather. I think Milt Sparks' Summer Special and SS2 basically owns this category historically from a leather standpoint. I have a 55BN and it clicks the gun into the holster better than some kydex. It is amazingly crafted - however, the leather wrapped reinforcement is a bit thicker than I would like. I would also look at JRC Leather as he uses super thin horsehide (very rare in holsters - at least as far as I know). His IWB-SS looks like a carbon copy of the Milt Sparks but perhaps thinner because of the horsehide.

If you are willing to go OWB - I use a Raven Perun as 4:00-4:30 suit carry and its fantastic for that purpose. Super concealable (if canted), thin, and cheap. I found that the straight drop loops have terrible concealment though.

I really like wide spread belt loops that you will find with many holster makers. I like leather myself. Milt Sparks is the gold standard, I also have holsters from TT Gunleather, Privateer.

The belt loop on top variety are still pretty good. Again, Milt Sparks (SS and SSII), as well as Kramer #2 are in my experience.

If you want quick receipt of a holster, Milt Sparks is available at Brownells (SSII)-you can get one, if you don't like it they will take a return no questions asked. Also Top Gun Supply (VM II) and Lightning Arms Sports has a pretty good inventory. I have purchased from all three of these, very good service in the experience.

I personally carry at 3:30 IWB (mostly) or OWB and have for 30 years.

With leather rigs, the Milt Sparks VM 2 really, finally, provided the comfort equation that I had been seeking, for years, especially for the carry of serious-sized auto-loaders. The flexibility of the front wing seemed to be the final, vital ingredient. Notably, I like to wear a behind-the-hip IWB rig as close to the point of my hip bone, as possible, because I have a short torso, but long arms, which requires considerable shoulder, elbow, and wrist articulation to reach behind the hip.

I think that all of my Kydex IWB rigs are AIWB, so, cannot be helpful regarding Kydex IWB.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Im out of touch with whats recommended for 3-4:30 IWB and OWB. For IWB I think Id prefer offset loop but Im not 100% on that. For the slim 9’s and J Frames.
    JMCK IWB #3, zero cant, full guard, G26. Mine has the plastic clip for off/on ease. I’ve used that one for years and really like it, have a 15* cant G19 IWB #3 with no guard I don’t like as well with the G26 (partly due to the sharp-edged rear sight on that gun) but works okay for the G19X. I have a lefty G26 IWB #3 with fixed loop that does well. G42, I have a lefty and righty IWB#3 that disappears those little guys.

I also have one for an M64 heavy barrel 4” Kframe with fixed loop with about 10* of cant (love it - is there a theme going on here?). Works very well to both support and conceal such a thing, but not what I would choose to carry every day given a choice.

Jframe rigs for IWB are a Zulu Bravo that works well AIWB, but also disappears a steel or Airweight J at 3:30 just fine, and I just got a DSG Apollo that I haven’t used yet, but appears to be very popular from the number of them I saw at the Revolver Round Up being used appendix and 3:30-ish.

IWB:
    1st Choice: Milt Sparks VM2 (by far)
    2nd Choice: Alessi/Ritchie PCH
    3rd Choice: Milt Sparks Summer Special (not the 2...I like the original)

OWB:
    1st Choice: Milt Sparks 60TK (again..by far)
    2nd Choice: Rusty Sherrick SIS (doesn't play well with RDO's)
    3rd Choice: Tie between Alessi/Ritchie Vertical Speed Scabbard and Milt Sparks 55BN

I just acquired a Milt Sparks OM-1 for my Staccato P. While the jury is still out on the gun, I really really like the new optic friendly holster design.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    IWB:
    I just acquired a Milt Sparks OM-1 for my Staccato P. While the jury is still out on the gun, I really really like the new optic friendly holster design.
    Hadn't even heard of the OM-1, thanks for mentioning. I've been contemplating a VM2 for my Staccato P DPO...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List