Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3-4:30 IWB HOLSTERS

Site Supporter
    In Kydex- JM is tearing it up good.

In Leather- I remain a huge fan of Kramer in horsehide as that is nature's kydex when done well.

My other IWB leather maker has faded to black -The Leather Arsenal. Supposedly, a guy who worked at Sparks, went out on his own, added a "fin" to the design at the bottom of the rough out holster body (it helps turn the gun into the body aiding concealment on many) and had holsters purpose designed based on how deep they would ride along the beltline.

Bought new, sold and re-bought one (used on ebay) for a 5 inch 1911. Bought new and sold one for my G34/35 when I went AIWB. That was a mistake.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

My "slim 9" has been riding in a JMCK #3 for about eight years now, all day every day. The thought of trying something different never enters my mind;

A 5-inch double-stack is no problem either;

I certainly intend to acquire more JMCK in the future, as their AIWB rigs are serving me well.

With what I have on hand, were I to again carry IWB with a G19 or 17 (as I did for years), I'd use a Blade-Tech Ultimate Klipt for the G19, or a Blade-Tech original (which has since been retrofitted with a Klipt style clip).

Light, compact, secure.

Another JM fan here. Before making the switch to AIWB, my go-to for several years was an IWB3 with pull-the-dot loops. I liked 15-20° of cant for a VP9; 15° was sufficient for the G19 I carried before moving to HK. I probably have a half dozen in my holster drawer at this point in different colors, cants, and with and without light compatibility.

Kydex - JM Custom Kydex, by far. iWB #3, wide spaced pull the dot snaps, 20 degree cant.

Leather - Kramer horsehide.

I've been carrying full size guns IWB on a daily basis for 20 years, FWIW.

My answer to every IWB question is the FIST #1K , slight cant, ultrathin kydex. Every other kydex holster I've tried has added too much bulk for my tastes. Leather IWB is more comfortable, but since I'm a sweaty sweat hog, not a great solution for either holster or pistol.

JM Custom IWB 3 is a really good holster. I think I have one for pretty much every pistol I own. I currently have a custom light bearing one in queue. They have quite a few quick ship models, but if you have to order a custom (non-quick ship) configuration, I consider it worth the fairly long wait times.

The DCC metal clips are an interesting and extremely low-profile attachment method. However, I've had trouble with them snagging occasionally on thin shirts, making for a disastrously fouled draw. I seem to always revert back to the good old pull-the-dot loops. I wish I didn't have the occasional need to disarm inside my car, or I would probably just use fixed soft loops.

If you can get away with fixed soft loops, you can run an IWB 3 on the inside or outside of pants, but still inside of belt, if that makes any sense. It's kind of a hybrid of IWB and OWB carry. In certain ways, this is actually my favorite OWB carry method, because the gun stays put really well without wanting to roll outboard. You don't have to worry as much about your undershirt trying to bunch up and migrate into your holster at the range when doing a lot of draws and reholsters. And your draw index position doesn't change at all. However, the gun does tend to ride lower than with a traditional dedicated OWB, so the concealment may not be as good depending on the cover garment. I do this at the range with pull-the-dot loops from time to time for training purposes. I've never had a snap come loose, and I've even tried it while jogging before, but I still wouldn't trust it for EDC purposes with snap loops. This approach obviates my need for a dedicated OWB for much of what I do with pistols.

For a dedicated OWB, I think the Raven Perun is a really good value if you are lucky enough to have one available for your pistol configuration. Unfortunately, there isn't a large variety of configurations supported.

Site Supporter
    I don't carry behind the hip much any more, but when I do I have multiple Milt Sparks Nexus holsters sized for any of the autos that I would carry there (5" 1911, Glock 19, Glock 43).

User Tag List