Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SP2022 (culled from SCD thread)

Site Supporter
    We looked at the SigPro 2340 when we transitioned to .40. A neighboring department was adopting them and their lead firearms instructor pushed for us to do so as well. It was a decent pistol, but it seemed to have sharper edges than the 226 and one could get one's paLm bitten on a reload, I don't recall different backstraps being offered, but the T&E was a loaner from the other department and may not have been sent to us. (That might have pushed us toward the SigPro.)

In the end, we just transitioned from 9mm to .40 and stayed with the 226 which let us keep the same holsters and minimized transition training. The other department quickly lost its infatuation with the 2340 for reasons unknown to me. Their training people wanted to go with Glock, but SigSauer persuaded their chief to stay with that company by engraving the agency logo on their new 229's.

A few agencies in the area did go with the SigPro including Ocean City, Baltimore County, and Richmond, Virginia (on .357SIG).

Overall, not a bad gun and one I somewhat regret not purchasing.

The SIG Pro just worked and was could be had for well under half the price of the base model P226/229 guns. It may be the only line that never suffered from the Cohenization of SIG.

Like the rest of the SIG DA/SA lines, it’s a chunky boi by modern standards, and like any gun, it isn’t ergonomically perfect for everyone. :shrug:

Holster selection is the biggest problem I see with it.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Oh no you don’t, I’m not falling for this newest hipster pistol flavor of the month.

Again.

Not today P-F, not today!
    As he signs into Gun Broker...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I usually shoot better groups at 25 with just double action. Deliberate stroke or whatever, the DA first shot is usually not one I yank.
    This
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I never really understood the appeal of the 2022. A 226 really isn’t that much bigger than a 2022. Most of the size difference is in the barrel length. If I remember correctly there’s only like 4 ounces difference between the two? A 229 is almost exactly the same size and has the same 4 ounce difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    For one thing, it cost a hell of a lot less than a 226 or 229, and came with night sights and 2 backstraps. Great introductory gun to TDA Sigs.
    IIRC, the Sig Pro was released during the Fed AWB, which meant no 10+ mags for us mere peasants. That couldn’t have helped with sales. Too bad they didn’t design it to fit an existing magazine.

The Beretta Cougar suffered from the same mag issue, but at least the Cougar could use a modified 92 magazine.

This thread made me pull my 2022 out of the safe. Damn, I remember why I like it so much. The DA is really good for a cheap out of the box pistol, the grip works well for me (I can’t induce a pinch at all) and it just comes together. I’m committed to Glocks for defensive use, but I have a real temptation to order a JMCK OWB2 and put it into at least occasional rotation (all I have is IWBs and an ALS for it now.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Heads up - Battlehawk Armory has SP2022s new for $449 right now.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Ken

Vending Machine Operator
    To anyone on the fence: do it. I had a stainless SP2022, sold it when I paid off my student loans, then years later missed having one and re-bought. Wish I still had the stainless one...

I don't think I'd drop $600. Too much competition in that price bracket. But in the $400-450 bracket it's as good as anything for that price. A roundly excellent gun. Grip is slightly odd, and it's very mildly top-heavy and flippy, but it's reassuringly, enthusiastically reliable. I never had an issue with it or my older SP2022 with quite a wide variety of ammo. It's probably the one current full-size Sig offering I fully trust for serious work.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

As I recall, Bruce Gray was a big fan of the SP2022 and carried one for a while.

User Tag List