Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI - 223 and 300 BLK Reloading Tools

RFI - 223 and 300 BLK Reloading Tools

Getting into rifle reloading for the first time (.223 and .300 BO), been reloading pistol calibers for around 7 years so I have all the essentials for that already. Will be doing rifle on a Lee Turret Press. Looking to load defense and plinking loads and not precision ammo. 300 BO will be supers and unsuppressed.

I've done some research already but interested in what you all might recommend in the following areas:

Dies:

- .223 - bought the Lee carbide 4 die set
    - .300 BO - bought the 2 die RCBS small base set but not sure what else I need

Trimming, Chamfer, Debur and Other Case Prep:

New to case trimming as I didn't do it with semi or revolver rounds. Looking at the Trim-It 2 Threeway, Franford Arsenal Case Prep Station, and World's Finest Trimmer options. Not sure what would be best. Not sure if I need to worry about doing anything with primer pockets.

300 Blackout Cut Down:

Looking at Harbor Freight chop saw and Zep reloading jig. Not sure if I need anything else.

Case Lube:

For pistol I just put 50 or so rounds in a plastic bag, sprayed with Hornady One Shot, shook them up and went with it. Not sure if I can do that with rifle or I should use a lube pad or something else.

Case Gauges:

I have case gauge blocks for pistol rounds but not sure what I should be looking at here for .223 and 300 BO.

Anything else I am missing?

Site Supporter
    Will be following with interest, as I also have a Lee Classic Turret, dies, and all the components for 300 BLK, but haven’t actually gotten down to loading any rifle ammo yet - just lots of 9mm.
    Also curious on the best technique for case lube, and the necessity of case trimming, as I’ve not done any of that in the past.

Lee claims that their 4-die eliminates the need to lube cases. If that’s true, then a lot of the hassle of loading bottleneck cases just vanished.

I have no experience with any of the trimming options you mentioned. I do own and love the Frankford Arsenal de-priming tool and will be very favorably inclined toward their other products as the need arises to replace other loading gear.

I'm not sure what a "case gauge block" is. Can you explain?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I'm not sure what a "case gauge block" is. Can you explain?
    Sorry - my term for block shaped products like the Shockbottle, EGW chamber checker, Lyman multi-caliber case checker, etc. rather than the single round, round-shaped case gauges.

I see that some rifle case gauges seem to do multiple measurements at once (OAL, headspace, etc.) and wondering what I need for my calibers.

The Frankford Arsenal case prep station looks cool but I am seeing some reviews say that it is just "OK" or even inconsistent as a trimmer and wondering if I need something a bit more, especially if I am chopping brass.

FPS-

Wilson Case Gauges make most people happy...

Trimmers- of those listed, a WFT is my preference

You will need and inside/outside chamfer tool to deburr your chopped down cases. Some use the same tool to remove part of the military primer crimp with the same tool, others uses swaging tools (dillon, rcbs etc)...

For rifle ammo I prefer imperial sizing wax, or the hornady / redding equivalent in a can / tub over aerosol products but it is very much a YMMV, Ford / Chevy kinda choice.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Lee claims that their 4-die eliminates the need to lube cases. If that’s true, then a lot of the hassle of loading bottleneck cases just vanished.

Okie John
    You eliminate the need for lubing a sizing die via manufacturing the die with tungsten carbide inserts. Some rifle caliber's geometry allows for this more economically than others. Regardless of the geometry involved, resizing rifle cases usually has more force associated with it than pistol brass and carbide is fairly brittle so thin inserts have a significant failure mode, don't throw away the lube just yet.....
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    FPS-

Wilson Case Gauges make most people happy...

Trimmers- of those listed, a WFT is my preference

You will need and inside/outside chamfer tool to deburr your chopped down cases. Some use the same tool to remove part of the military primer crimp with the same tool, others uses swaging tools (dillon, rcbs etc)...

For rifle ammo I prefer imperial sizing wax, or the hornady / redding equivalent in a can / tub over aerosol products but it is very much a YMMV, Ford / Chevy kinda choice.
    Thanks! Very helpful. Putting your recommends on my list.

Site Supporter
    Since you already load, here's just a couple suggestions for 223/300 specifically.

1-I find that many supers (nosler 110, hornady 110 vmax, etc.) that are flat base could use just the slightest case flare. I just use the universal lee expander and give it a hint of case mouth flare. Note I don't to this with boat tail bullets.
    2-I also use one shot for sizing blackout cases. There is a very minimal shoulder, and sizing has always been very easy
    3-I like loading supers with H110 or W296 with a bit of crimp from the lee factory crimp die. I get very good standard deviation and velocity from 7-16" barrels.

I think blackout is one of the more enjoyable calibers to reload. I also have a bolt gun so I've done some unique loads with trailboss, and light subsonics that are lots of fun through a silencer, but sounds like that isn't really applicable to your goals, so I'll refrain from details there. Best of luck on loading!

Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    Since you already load, here's just a couple suggestions for 223/300 specifically.

1-I find that many supers (nosler 110, hornady 110 vmax, etc.) that are flat base could use just the slightest case flare. I just use the universal lee expander and give it a hint of case mouth flare. Note I don't to this with boat tail bullets.
    2-I also use one shot for sizing blackout cases. There is a very minimal shoulder, and sizing has always been very easy
    3-I like loading supers with H110 or W296 with a bit of crimp from the lee factory crimp die. I get very good standard deviation and velocity from 7-16" barrels.

I think blackout is one of the more enjoyable calibers to reload. I also have a bolt gun so I've done some unique loads with trailboss, and light subsonics that are lots of fun through a silencer, but sounds like that isn't really applicable to your goals, so I'll refrain from details there. Best of luck on loading!
    Thank you. I've got some W296 lying around and H110 on the way, glad to hear it has worked well for you.

I've got Barnes 110 Tac-TX bullets on the way. What do you like for less expensive 110 grain bullets?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    What do you like for less expensive 110 grain bullets?
    Not the poster you replied to, but I also have Barnes 110 TAC-TX on hand, but ordered these for (comparatively) inexpensive training rounds:

https://www.xtremebullets.com/30-CAR...10rn-b0500.htm

A review on the X-Treme website said this:

“ Good for 300 Blackout training ammo January 28, 2021
    Reviewer: Anonymous Person from Niceville, FL United States
    Loaded 18.0gr H110 seating 1.835 to 1.840”. Off hand in 8” AR Pistol grouped 4 inches at 70 yards. Only feed problem was last round. Suspect follower releases early. Solution load one factory round first. Reloading at 23 cents per round, factory today $1.25, training affordability. Best deal out there today plus good for tactical less than 125yds”

I haven’t tried them yet myself, but have 500 on hand when I get going on reloading 300 BLK.
    Using my own brass, I’ll be at about $0.40/rd with all components bought at COVID prices.

User Tag List