Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Primer Vs Large Primer and the .45 ACP

Small Primer Vs Large Primer and the .45 ACP

With the likely hood of magazine limits coming to WA I am considering getting a 1911 to carry. I went away from 1911s in the very early 2000s (I think around 2004). I don't remember there being SPP .45 ACP then. I am not going to get rid of my 9mms or .38/.357s so sticking to SPP seems to make sense.

Having SPP brass would also make it easier as I won't have to change the primer system on my Dillon.

I guess the question is... Should I stick with the standard and not be a lazy turd or is the SPP brass ok to use.

Small primers work just fine and shoot good. I would imagine some of the people that are more nuanced in the arts of competition might know of some differences but if you just want a reliable click and bang then it's not a problem.

And yes, it makes life a whole lot easier to not have to have yet another different type of component to reload.

The real trick here is to figure out how to get ONLY small primer 45 brass. Sorting it pretty much sucks. If you know of anyone that sells it already sorted or better yet new, then I would jump on it.

Everglades Ammo has 45 ACP Small Primer Pocket Fired Range Brass in stock. Mixed headstamp, but all small primer.

https://www.evergladesammo.com/brass...nge-brass.html

I’m hesitant to do this, because It isn’t what you asked, but...

I also figure a mag cap limit is coming in WA. I too also reload 9mm and .357/.38, so I am thinking of getting a 9mm 1911. Have you thought about that instead of a .45?

ETA: I also got out of 1911s in the early 2000s, and have never really regretted it. But lately I have been thinking a 4.25” Ronin with stag grips would be a nice thing to own.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I’m hesitant to do this, because It isn’t what you asked, but...

I also figure a mag cap limit is coming in WA. I too also reload 9mm and .357/.38, so I am thinking of getting a 9mm 1911. Have you thought about that instead of a .45?

ETA: I also got out of 1911s in the early 2000s, and have never really regretted it. But lately I have been thinking a 4.25” Ronin with stag grips would be a nice thing to own.
    I may do that as well. I haven't looked at the Ronin.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I may do that as well. I haven't looked at the Ronin.
    They look solid. There are, of course, other brands of 9mm 1911 that are well regarded.

One thing about 9mm 1911s is they can be dual-use 9mm and .38 Super guns...

I think if you want a 1911 for a woods gun, .45 has a good place, but you already have a .357...

So I dunno. Just food for thought. If I go that route, the GP100 will still be my woodsbumming gun, and the 1911 will be for urban/suburban carry.

What I should do is get some flavor of P365 with native 10-round capacity, but I'm starting to like "nice" guns.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

It is certainly a pain sorting LP and SP .45 brass, especially as the eyes age.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    is the SPP brass ok to use.
    It is fine and works fine. I see no meaningful variation in my loads between small and large primers in .45ACP and make no changes other than the primer feed to run them through. These days I only load 45 ACP for USPSA single stack. I see more and more of SPP 45 ACP coming from the major factory ammo producers and it is annoying to me in a huge way now because with probably +25K LPP empties in the system I have to sort 45ACP brass before putting it in the reloading stream, and save the small primer stuff for when my 650 is set up for that feed system.

I have loaded SPP 45s and have found no difference in performance. I may be wrong but I think any factory loaded ammo with SP will be of the "clean" variety so sorting will be a pain. I no longer haver the SP brass in inventory. I only have 2 .45s left that don't get shot much anymore and I haven't loaded any .45 in years. Mainly because...

I will second the 9mm 1911. I have a Colt Commander that feels like I am cheating when I shoot it. I got several of the Brownell's brand 10 round mags that work great. I will grab this one before I will grab either of the .45s. I have been carrying revolvers a lot lately but when I have to go to the big city my P365x is my constant companion. If I was mandatoried to 10 rounds, it's an easy swap back to the standard frame and mags.

I've got a metric buttload of SPP 45 ACP. At first when I started sorting out my range brass, I was PISSED to find SPP brass - because now I have to take the extra step of culling 45 ACP brass by primer size.

Fast forward to the post COVID world of primers don't exist, and I have quite a few more SPP than LPP left in my stock. Last month, I started rolling up some SPP 200gr LSWC target loads, and they worked just fine - even over Titegroup (which is NOT my preferred powder for this load, but again, all I have a large stock of).

At this point, I've got no concerns about reloading SPP 45 ACP.

User Tag List