Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: WA residents, here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This is true: the majority of the funding for 1639 came from just 5 families.
    Nick Hanauer provided most of the funding.

Spent many years in that God forsaken state. I voted with my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Spent many years in that God forsaken state. I voted with my feet.
    Not all of us are so lucky.

Though, coming to WA from Hellinois was a step up.

What's the defacto way of challenging these things? In IL and TX money to the state rifle associations, who had excellent lobbyists at the state level. Do any orgs have good lobbyists at the state level here? Folks who can actually get heard?

@Totem Polar
    @Flamingo
    @okie john

There was no luck involved Rob. I decided that the liberals were taking over. California idiots started moving there in the '80s and brought their stupid with them. Just like they always do. And they found a very receptive hot bed of liberals already entrenched. And I didn't want to live with that shit. So, we moved. There is always a way.

Some can say that I chickened out, ran away from the fight, whatever. I don't think that fight is going too well in Cali, Oregon, WA, NY, NJ etc. It's lost. At least for many years to come.

I've been gone 13 years, so I can't answer your question about who can help get heard, sorry. Good luck.

I think some courageous people in the state legislature have succeeded in slowing the bleeding. We'd be much worse off if it wasn't for them so I don't think the fight has been fruitless. But would I move if it was the right choice for my family? Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Nick Hanauer provided most of the funding.
    A big chunk, looks like. I was wondering where I remembered that name from: https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ocrats-108014/

That's a level of self-awareness you don't see in most of the right-place-right-time billionaires. I guess in that light his "Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility" starts to make a lot of sense. Self preservation is a hell of a drug.

https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_I...Measure_(2018)

Code:
    Top donors
    Donor 			Cash 	In-kind 	Total
    Paul Allen 		$1,226,036.00 	$23,900.00 	$1,249,936.00
    Nicolas Hanauer 	$613,018.00 	$0.00 	$613,018.00
    Leslie Hanauer 		$613,018.00 	$0.00 	$613,018.00
    Steven Ballmer 		$500,000.00 	$0.00 	$500,000.00
    Connie Ballmer 		$500,000.00 	$0.00 	$500,000.00
    The Hanauers and Paul Allen donated exactly the same amount. Is there some cap or limit? Both families donating exactly $1,226,036 seems... odd. The Ballmers dropping an even million makes sense. I'd imagine that's tip jar money to them.

The irony to all of this is none of the billionaires that live here in WA pay any state income tax. WA has 13 billionaires and their cumulative worth ranks #3 in the country. With that much money it's easy to control a ballot measure by flooding the media with anti-gun ads before an election.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The irony to all of this is none of the billionaires that live here in WA pay any state income tax. WA has 13 billionaires and their cumulative worth ranks #3 in the country. With that much money it's easy to control a ballot measure by flooding the media with anti-gun ads before an election.
    That’s exactly what happened.

@RevolverRob, I don’t know what to say about getting heard, other than the boiled down fundamental that fighting this sort of thing requires a lot of voices to even remotely make an effect. The only way to slow this is for inboxes to be flooded with lots of protestation. it’s a raw numbers game.

I don’t want to go into detail in an open section but, through my work, I know one legislator personally—well enough that he knows who I am and what I do. I sent an email on the police use of force deal with some very good data courtesy of C Haggard on why I thought the chokehold (and K9) provisions were short-sighted, and I didn’t even get a reply. And this is a warm connection.

The bottom line is that #1, the governor and AG both have a mutual weenie-pulling hard on for advanced blue-state gun control, and neither person cares what the electorate thinks. We have hard evidence of that mindset; I’ve recounted the story of Inslee using his superdelegate status to support Hillary Clinton, despite the dems in his own state caucusing 74% in favor of Bernie. I know one wealthy donor—wealthy enough to be able to make the phone call—who called Inslee and asked for his donation back. So there’s that: every who in whoville could give their mighty yop, and those two wouldn’t give a shit.

And, #2, as alluded to in my story about the legislator, above, there are good, kind-hearted people crammed into the legislature who genuinely feel that they are doing the right thing. I know that some of the stuff about Canadian studies and the safety record of the Kodokan would cause some late-night agonizing over the bill (if the letters and emails are actually read), but we are talking about people from fairly affluent and, dare I use the term, privileged lives who just don’t have the same background and upbringing as gun culture 1.0 and 2.0. The fact that I know one of these dudes and his family casually has convinced me that they aren’t all kamala harris. I know that several of those bill sponsors don’t exactly go home at night and unzip the skin suit to reveal their true lizard selves before bed—at the state level, there’s still people who are in the game because they truly believe in making a positive change.

And when that core belief and motivation gets stoked with billionaire nerd mega-bucks, flashy ad campaigns, and glasses of champagne, it’s going to be pretty hard to challenge the thinking.

That’s what’s happening in WA. JMO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-19-2021 at 11:20 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I am surprised that we haven't yet had mag bans and more AW restrictions.

I would like a g5 g19 but am afraid to buy mostly cause Glock won't make a reliable 10 rounder that is likely a future necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I am surprised that we haven't yet had mag bans and more AW restrictions.

I would like a g5 g19 but am afraid to buy mostly cause Glock won't make a reliable 10 rounder that is likely a future necessity.
    I bought a lifetime supply of magazines for each gun that I want to carry for defensive purposes. I am also working on learning revolvers.

There are no effective WA focused 2A groups that I am aware of it.

I am considering on moving from WA, but the wife is here for 6 more years before she retires.

User Tag List