Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: WA residents, here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    The 'Well I got mine' and 'I hope I get to keep mine' sorts of positions are just sour grapes, IMHO.
    I'd encourage anyone affected by this, whether they've future-proofed or not, to call your representatives. Hope is not a strategy.

We learned this the hard way in NM over the past few years with the ban on private sales and other things.
    I'm just predicting that more restrictions are coming. Has nothing to do with my activity to persuade my reps to vote against more restrictions. I do that each and every time a bill comes up. I did it this year when the legislature was voting on SB 5217. We shut that one down. I'll do it again next year when the dems make another attempt for more restrictions on rifles and magazines. They always do. It's just like the sun always comes up in the east.

The reality is that both WA and NM is likely to see more restrictions in the future. The NM legislature actually has more dems by percentage than WA.

Nothing wrong in preparing for more restrictions. I'll take a pass on pre existing rifles or mags if that's all I can get. I don't think WA state has enough money to buy all of those like they did bump stocks. They set a precedent there that will be hard to work around in court.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-17-2021 at 10:46 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If it simply bans anything already defined as an assault weapon, that's pretty comprehensive because they defined any semi-auto rifle as an AW a few years ago. Including hundred year old tube-fed .22LRs. It would be a comprehensive ban of all semi-auto rifles (and I'm thinking shotguns, without taking time to remind myself)
    Shotguns were not included in 1639 when that went through, you can buy a Saiga 12g or a Benelli M4 but you better register for a class and transfer (with a waiting period of course) your granddaddy’s old nylon 66 .22.

I've been filling out the automated online letters and I always get a personalized response back from one of our local reps so it seems that works to an extent. Who else do you guys recommend contacting and what form of communication? (written letters, phone calls, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I don't think WA state has enough money to buy all of those like they did bump stocks. They set a precedent there that will be hard to work around in court.
    Maybe not, but when 1639 was being talked about I seem to recall all the donors had Microsoft Money. The top donors were the Ballmers and Paul Allen, I think? Without some back-of-the-napkin numbers I would be reluctant to say that WA state doesn't have "enough money". Billionaires throwing tons of cash at their vanity projects is timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Maybe not, but when 1639 was being talked about I seem to recall all the donors had Microsoft Money. The top donors were the Ballmers and Paul Allen, I think? Without some back-of-the-napkin numbers I would be reluctant to say that WA state doesn't have "enough money". Billionaires throwing tons of cash at their vanity projects is timeless.
    This is true: the majority of the funding for 1639 came from just 5 families.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This is true: the majority of the funding for 1639 came from just 5 families.
    My recollection is it was actually five people, including two married couples. So just three families.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    My recollection is it was actually five people, including two married couples. So just three families.
    Well ever since Melinda found out Bill likes diddling little kids, it’s 4 families now.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Well ever since Melinda found out Bill likes diddling little kids, it’s 4 families now.
    Chances are Melinda knew but when it goes public you must choose a side....

Point. I think that’s right.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Many people don't realize that we have an initiative process here that allows shit to get on a ballot without much effort. Then 10 million dollars gets spent in the media to get the AG initiative passed. Once it passes it's there for 2 years before the legislature can overturn it. Any gun control that passes by ballot vote isn't going to get overturned by a democratic legislature. So there's two ways we get more gun control, either through our legislators or initiative. Lately we've been losing the fight and I'm not real optimistic about our future.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List