Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: WA residents, here we go again.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be contacting my legislators again. I guess I just need to put this on my calendar every January.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll be contacting my legislators again. I guess I just need to put this on my calendar every January.
    Send the email each time you change the batteries in your smoke detectors.

#youwontbewrong
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Well, the "good" news is the latest, amended version (which defines 'large capacity magazine' as >12 rounds) applies only to the sale of mags in WA, not possession/use. Still a turd sandwich, and a foot in the door, but not the ban on possession that the news media (and NRA) are portraying it as:

The punchline starts at the bottom of page 7:

https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bienn...%20S1994.1.pdf

I'll take whatever good news I can get as I'm not ready to move yet. Need a few more years to get the kids through school and then go live in a bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    I'll take whatever good news I can get as I'm not ready to move yet. Need a few more years to get the kids through school and then go live in a bunker.
    For a few reasons, I’m getting buried in this state; all this stuff has made me decide to get more involved locally and at the state level in the coming years.

Have yet to decide how best to do that besides a high volume of correspondence at this point.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Didn't read the above mentioned article.

The punchline I heard was standard (grandfathered) capacity magazines will need to be locked up all the time only to be able to be used in certain situations which my guess is home defense and or range use.

The other punchline is Magpul is not going to make 12 round PMags Glock is not going to make 12 round g19 mags,. Smith & Wesson is not going to make 12 round m&p mags.

The 12 round limit is likely to sell it easier but it's really a 10 round limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Didn't read the above mentioned article.

The punchline I heard was standard (grandfathered) capacity magazines will need to be locked up all the time only to be able to be used in certain situations which my guess is home defense and or range use.
    It's a little confusing to unravel; you have to read all versions of the bill on this page:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?B...itiative=false

The original and substitute versions from last year's session are linked, and below those is Pedersen's amended bill.

The original and substitute bills have a 10 and 17 round limit, respectively; existing mags of higher capacity can only be used at home, on the range (transported there unloaded, in a locked container), or while hunting, making it a gross misdemeanor to carry the mags loaded otherwise.

Pedersen's bill has a 12-round limit, but ONLY applies to the sale/transfer of higher capacity mags going forward. The restrictions on possession/use/carrying of >12 round mags are removed from this bill.

If the version of the bill they're voting on places the magic number at 12, as we've been told by the media (and NRA), the only version with that number is Pedersen's amendment. It's likely that they see it as an easy 'win', with less public backlash, because those carrying double-stack pistols with standard capacity mags may continue to do so. New shooters, or those without an adequate supply of mags when the bill takes effect, would be out of luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    It's a little confusing to unravel; you have to read all versions of the bill on this page:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?B...itiative=false

The original and substitute versions from last year's session are linked, and below those is Pedersen's amended bill.

The original and substitute bills have a 10 and 17 round limit, respectively; existing mags of higher capacity can only be used at home, on the range (transported there unloaded, in a locked container), or while hunting, making it a gross misdemeanor to carry the mags loaded otherwise.

Pedersen's bill has a 12-round limit, but ONLY applies to the sale/transfer of higher capacity mags going forward. The restrictions on possession/use/carrying of >12 round mags are removed from this bill.

If the version of the bill they're voting on places the magic number at 12, as we've been told by the media (and NRA), the only version with that number is Pedersen's amendment. It's likely that they see it as an easy 'win', with less public backlash, because those carrying double-stack pistols with standard capacity mags may continue to do so. New shooters, or those without an adequate supply of mags when the bill takes effect, would be out of luck...

Thank you for the details.

Understand going forward I don't believe in or support any of the above bills.

If the 12 going forward were to pass it would be largely useless as one could bring magazines in from out of state.

Curious if it would be legal to have damaged or broke mags replaced or repaired like the Clinton ban allowed.

I wonder if they would actually charge with and prosecute a community member who had to steal because of repression with this crime. Seems like a plea bargain toss.

Great use of tax payer time and money

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This is clearly the "death by 1000 cuts" strategy. Start with this, let the froggies get used to the new temperature for a few years, nudge the gas knob a little more later. California didn't get to where it is today all at once. It took nearly 30 years.

------------

Interesting that the list of definitions includes:

(25) "Sale" and "sell" mean the actual approval of the delivery
    19 of a firearm in consideration of payment or promise of payment.
    But the "distribute" appears only once in the document, and is thus not defined in context.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-18-2022 at 08:21 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Curious if it would be legal to have damaged or broke mags replaced or repaired like the Clinton ban allowed.
    From Pedersen's bill:

"Large capacity magazine" means an ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 12 rounds of ammunition, or any conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which such a device can be assembled if those parts are in possession of or under the control of the same person

Based on that poorly worded passage, I'd bet that online sellers of gun parts would hesitate to ship springs/followers/etc. to WA.

User Tag List