Thread: Charges dropped against Miami mass shooter

Charges dropped against Miami mass shooter

prosecutors are dropping the charges, saying even though when he was questioned by investigators implicating himself and other gunmen, they noted “…the Defendant initially invoked his right to counsel, and despite the invocation, homicide investigators with the Miami-Dade Police Department continued to conduct an interrogation.”
    https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/12/1...ckner-dropped/

Well that's a career-ender.

How fuckin' dumb do you have to be...

Inexcusable.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Not necessarily.

Sometimes invoking the right to counsel isn’t as clear cut as saying “I want an attorney.” There are many appeals court opinions on the subject.

On the flip side, it could have been a total rookie move and an epic screw up. I’m curious to know the details.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Not really.

Sometimes invoking the right to counsel isn’t as clear cut as saying “I want an attorney.” There are many appeals court opinions on the subject.

On the flip side, it could have been a total rookie move and an epic screw up. I’m curious to know the details.
    You and me both. You really have to be good at interrogation to tiptoe around that minefield.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    The switch from career-maker to “mentioned on a lessons-learned PowerPoint”.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

That's a call for a judge, not a prosecutor looking for a 100% win record.

Of course, silver lining, maybe the little prick will get real Justice now.

Maybe this is a Christmas Present for the victims families, WWJBD (what would Charles Bronson do?).

And here you have it, if you confess fast enough you go free!

The 20-year-old is no longer facing charges, even after police say he admitted to jumping out of an SUV and shooting into the crowd last May at the El Mula Banquet Hall.

Invoking the right to counsel is an off button for the conversation. However, as pointed out, it’s not always as clear as “I want my lawyer.” When I teach this topic at the academy, I teach: 1) clarify any ambiguities in the request immediately, and 2) if you have any doubt, there is no doubt (end the conversation).

There is no mention of a suppression hearing in court. If there was not one, my suspicion is that the request for counsel was not ambiguous. There is some merit in letting a judge make a call. In my experience, a time where you have a clear, unambiguous loser of a scenario under the law is not one of those times.

User Tag List