Thread: leather holster restoration

leather holster restoration

Any recommendations for where to have a leather holster repaired/restored? Rough guess is it's 80-100 years old, and in pretty good shape overall. Some of the stitching has come undone, and the leather has softened up over time. I'd like to have it repaired and cleaned up, and plan to display it in a shadow box along with the pistol and a photograph of my great-grandfather, the original owner, but I also plan to shoot the gun every once in a great while, and would like the holster to remain useable when I do. Any suggestions for someone who does this type of work? I'm in the Phoenix area, but can also ship holster if needed.

Name:  holster.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  35.1 KB
    Name:  holster 2.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  100.8 KB

Double H Leatherworks in Prescott Valley?
    Simply Rugged in Prescott?
    Arizona Boot & Saddle Repair in Phoenix?
    OW Saddles in Apache Junction?

I have no idea if these folks might be able to help you, but they are some suggestions for a place to start, and none of them too far from you. Good luck.

The hardest thing to repair will be the stitching. I would bet the aforementioned saddle shop could do a good job unstitching and restitching the pieces together with new thread. They could further clean the holster, but definitely don't let them oil it. Use a resin-based coating over the top. Saddle makers still tend to use oil, which will only harden the top portion of the leather, while making the rest of it soft. Neither is good for a holster. Resin will protect the exterior from drying out, without softening the leather.

Store in an airtight bag, but do not put silica gel in the bag (it will draw the moisture out of the leather).

Site Supporter
    Mark Garrity may have some suggestions for you.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List