Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN cuts jello with the Matriarch

Just waiting on spare Matriarchs

Name:  297B0DB4-AE53-4E34-8472-E2B126065B62.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  101.8 KB

Kevlar gloves came today!

Now just waiting on the spare Matriarchs.

One will be a testing blade and one for the wife.

I think I might be handy enough to make a Delrin training blade but if it winds up being too much of a PITA then I’ll just grind the teeth off of the testing blade after tests are done.

I’m also kind of curious to see what would happen if I tried to cut a meat arm that was wearing the Kevlar sleeve….

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

I think I might be handy enough to make a Delrin training blade but if it winds up being too much of a PITA then I’ll just grind the teeth off of the testing blade after tests are done.

Why not ask Spyderco about a training blade?
    --Jason--

I prefer metal training blades. Delrin could be sharp if it broke...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Why not ask Spyderco about a training blade?
    AFAIK they’ve never made something Matriarch blade shaped.

If I’m going to buy a different blade for $xx I would rather just grind down a Matriarch so that the Emerson wave and dimensions are faithful.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I prefer metal training blades. Delrin could be sharp if it broke...
    I think my envisioned training use is different than yours. It’s mainly for practicing draw and reach without aggressive striking of anything.

I think my envisioned training use is different than yours. It’s mainly for practicing draw and reach without aggressive striking of anything.
    Even so, the weight will be different and that will affect deployment. I've had good luck making training knives out of aluminum. But I really think this needs to be steel.

I train with my girls to keep their defensive knife skills fresh. Nothing extreme is required--just slow attacks, grabs, etc. to give them practice deploying their knife and fighting back.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Even so, the weight will be different and that will affect deployment. I've had good luck making training knives out of aluminum. But I really think this needs to be steel.

I train with my girls to keep their defensive knife skills fresh. Nothing extreme is required--just slow attacks, grabs, etc. to give them practice deploying their knife and fighting back.
    I think eventually I’ll just grind down the sharp parts of the training blade.

But riddle me this….

You practice with a Blue Gun sometimes despite weight and balance differences….

I think as long as expectations are appropriate about what it can and cannot do, that’ll be fair.

I’m mainly interested in practicing how the wave works from different clip and pocket positions. I’m not looking to practice with a knife much.

If I can get the unlock resistance similar then the Delrin might just be fine.

If the Spyderco training blade had a wave I would buy that. @JCS showed me the add on fang and that’s reasonable but then again we are getting to the cost of just grinding down a Matriarch for $120.

@JCN

Good analogy with a Bluegun. I prefer weighted Blueguns. They are also not very good for trigger practice . That’s similar to a good training knife. Deployment is a big part of the equation, especially with a folder. It took my girls a lot of practice to get decent at it under even moderate pressure.

@Clusterfrack

I think you are 99%+ likely to be correct and it’ll be a waste of my time making a Delrin folder blade.

But on that 1% chance… I’m still going to try it. If the feel and weight and action isn’t reasonably faithful then I’ll grind the blade.

Remember you ARE talking to the guy who bought a $55 revolver barrel, cut it with an angle grinder and glued on a J frame sight to this effect…

Name:  2A27BC79-5742-4770-A410-2D37C3152CAD.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  31.7 KB

So I still want to give it a try, lol.

USPS delivers!

Name:  8686A0B2-DFA1-428C-A88D-DF0856E18891.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  69.5 KB

Also a larger polypropylene sheet came in as well.

Name:  4129BA43-9115-4404-9317-ABB4E0E88CDD.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  32.5 KB

That one is to make a full size extended trainer with fixed blade like the wood ones they used to make for the Civilian.

Name:  B2A8DB06-8253-4117-AF3B-5D9C4BAF6CBD.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  BB042E8C-1E5E-400C-B254-902F9FC0C511.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  40.1 KB

User Tag List