Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN cuts jello with the Matriarch

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Well to be fair at least in this thread I said it was flowing from a place of lack of skill and experience, haha!

I have a lot of bad ideas that I test (have you seen me with a Dremel and an angle grinder?).

I don’t mind failing and I don’t mind being wrong and I definitely appreciate when real SMEs like @SouthNarc give their perspectives.

If I could pick the thread drift for a minute:

Southnarc, if you were going to recommend a knife and basic technique for my 110 pound untrained wife, is there an online resource she could check out?

I'm gonna sound like a shill but here goes.

I wouldn't start your wife off with any kind of knife specific anything. I'd have her sign up for a subscription to Warrior Poet Society Network and watch my second series "The Reality of Criminal Assault". Watch that and then maybe start looking at more tool specific videos.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm gonna sound like a shill but here goes.

I wouldn't start your wife off with any kind of knife specific anything. I'd have her sign up for a subscription to Warrior Poet Society Network and watch my second series "The Reality of Criminal Assault". Watch that and then maybe start looking at more tool specific videos.
    That sounds like a great Christmas present for both of us!

Very dashing and well produced, I think she would watch that.

Name:  F0DD7C63-6465-4921-AE42-B2AAB7F02D1F.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  35.6 KB

That sounds like a great Christmas present for both of us!
    It's not expensive and you can cancel the subscription anytime you want.

Again I hate to recommend myself but you are asking for your wife so her getting good information is more important than the risk of me sounding like a douchebag on-line.

Watch this one first before the ECQC one.

https://www.watchwpsn.com/the-realit...iminal-assault

In my overall self defense plan, I am deficient and neglecting hand to hand and entanglement scenarios. Mainly because I don’t want to get injured training and there are only so many hours in the day.
    @SouthNarc's EWO is an excellent way to start reducing that deficiency. One of the things that makes him an excellent instructor is his ability to give each student the pressure they need and are ready for. At least in my experience, people who don't want to get hurt don't. There will be students going hard, but there are also folks who can't or don't want to. Somehow, Craig strikes a balance for everyone. I would have no concerns about sending my wife or daughters to his class.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @SouthNarc's EWO is an excellent way to start reducing that deficiency. One of the things that makes him an excellent instructor is his ability to give each student the pressure they need and are ready for. At least in my experience, people who don't want to get hurt don't. There will be students going hard, but there are also folks who can't or don't want to. Somehow, Craig strikes a balance for everyone. I would have no concerns about sending my wife or daughters to his class.
    This. EWO is one of my all-time favorite course experiences. Should one be so fortunate as to have an open EWO hit the schedule nearby, it’s worth considerable effort to attend. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Yes! For my intended use it would be to create space and distance for me to get to my AIWB gun.
    I think that is accurate and sums it up. It’s for entertainment!
    That's not the same thing. If this is just playtime and theater, I'll not waste the time of either of us further commenting. There's nothing wrong with playtime, but let's keep it on one track or the other. Actually, @SouthNarc is way above me in this material anyway, so there's not much left for me to say either way other than if you decide this is serious instead of playtime, he's the guy to listen to.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This. EWO is one of my all-time favorite course experiences. Should one be so fortunate as to have an open EWO hit the schedule nearby, it’s worth considerable effort to attend. JMO.
    Thirded. And I know some other folks here on P-F that would probably fourth and fifth this recommendation too.

The realities of criminal assaults which lead to self-defense can be as wild as you can imagine. But Craig has done an amazing job, because of decades of experience, in distilling down many of the most common aspects of them. And then simultaneously constructing a system that breaks down fundamental aspects of how to defend yourself which can be taught in an amazingly efficient and effective manner in a short period of time.

Understanding those aspects folks tend to pretty quickly get to the point where you understand the continuum of the assault and thus will reconsider both preemptive tool access and deployment. In considering all these things there is a pretty fairly linear progression that folks tend to follow in this realm:

Recognition of a serious need for non-lethal, less-lethal, and multiple lethal force options on your person -> Recognition that entangled fights require a different skillset, but one that is fairly simply to construct (difficult to master of course, but mastery isn't actually necessary) -> Recognition that in-fight weapon access, in an entangled fight, is effectively something that comes from establishing a dominant position -> Recognition that getting your ass kicked by multiple opponents is both easier and harder than you thought it would be -> Recognition that ultimately this shit is more fun than shooting paper and cardboard

EWO/ECQC is a gateway drug. Pretty soon you find yourself taking courses with @Cecil Burch and @Chuck Haggard and never use anything more than a blue gun; you'll be thinking about how you'd deploy and use a Matriarch in an entangled fight - you spend as much time looking at knives and sheaths as you do guns, maybe more so. Then you discover impact weapons and you realize how awesome they are. You pretty much stop caring about shooting stuff more complex than The Test, timed Dot Torture, or Hackathorn Standards, because you soon realize that the scoring standards for even a USPSA target are far too generous given reality, you'll find yourself buried in old threads here on P-F looking at different aspects of shooting fundamentals from a defensive stand point. Then you're basically going to the Brazilian jiu-jitsu gym and wondering why people are freaked the fuck out about ammo shortages, because you do your once-a-week dryfire drills and then just go and check your performance with one of the aforementioned tests and go, "Okay, cool." and go home.

Your gun safe basically becomes: knives, a pocket carry gun, a belt carry gun; a bigger pistol with a light on it; and a long-gun of some type (shotgun if you're old school, AR if you're new school, both if you like options)*

And then you're basically...

___

*Ask me how I know...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    PS: Folks might see there in the pic above, consideration the Matriarch/Civilian might not be my first foray into S-shaped knives...
    Not the first, nor the most expensive. Where “eagles” dare…

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Edited. Was trying to correct typo in another post and somehow double posted
    Last edited by SouthNarc; 12-23-2021 at 06:04 PM.

User Tag List