Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN cuts jello with the Matriarch

JCN cuts jello with the Matriarch

I’m not a skilled knife practitioner.

The Matriarch / Civilian blades seem perfect for my intended use.

@Totem Polar
    @Clusterfrack
    @JCS

The concept and physics seem sound for defanging the snake.

Going to test / practice…

Name:  9876050D-97D3-46B9-9716-FAEB5D58947C.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  52.7 KB

10% ballistic gel to be cut into an arm sized block.
    3/4” PVC pipe for arm bones.
    Old boot from my wife that I was supposed to donate but saved for something like this as if the bad guy was wearing a leather jacket….

“Like” the thread to let me know how much effort I should put into the video.

Note, this is usually what I use to carve ballistic gel so I’m optimistic for how the matriarch will work.

Name:  EB627BC6-2357-40D6-9D41-0697C355EF14.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  34.3 KB

Meat popsicle

Name:  4CFE4AFD-CEE1-4ADA-B33A-8685A683FC30.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  31.9 KB

About the size of a large arm.

Name:  8CDA0E82-F859-4C3E-8CDF-40F8B68C66D1.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  27.5 KB

I’m not thrilled about the amount of tissue disruption with putting the rod in the gel.

Ideally I’d melt the gel around the pipe. I’ll do that with the other part of the block

JCN tests the Matriarch for defang the snake

Cool project!

Testing is a good idea, if only to gain a healthy respect of edged weapons. I think it’s vastly more likely that law abiding citizens like us will face a knife threat than have to deploy a knife in defense of our life. I’ve been attacked once already.

Taking @SouthNarc’s EWO is a better investment in time and resources. Highly recommend!

Be careful. All sorts of weird stuff can happen when you cut or stab something.

You need a LOT less force than you might think.

I’m personally not a fan of the Karambit or knives with finger holes. These are legitimate for their intended purposes, but are limiting in ways I don’t like.

Defanging techniques are legitimate, but are only a small part of a well rounded defensive edged weapons toolbox. If a knife can’t also be used tip driven, and edge in (tip down or up), that’s a dealbreaker for me. So that leads me toward more symmetrical grips and blades.

I like waved knives, but also practice with non-waved because I don’t want to be limited by that.

P’Kal or Yojimbo (with Pickpocket wave) are some of my favorites. And OTFs if legal.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I’m waiting on my Kevlar gloves before I test this haha.

I think remelting the blocks around the PVC is the way to go.

Site Supporter
    Cool project!

Testing is a good idea, if only to gain a healthy respect of edged weapons. I think it’s vastly more likely that law abiding citizens like us will face a knife threat than have to deploy a knife in defense of our life. I’ve been attacked once already.

Taking @SouthNarc’s EWO is a better investment in time and resources. Highly recommend!

I’m personally not a fan of the Karambit or knives with finger holes. These are legitimate for their intended purposes, but are limiting in ways I don’t like.

Defanging techniques are legitimate, but are only a small part of a well rounded defensive edged weapons toolbox. If a knife can’t also be used tip driven, and edge in (tip down or up), that’s a dealbreaker for me. So that leads me toward more symmetrical grips and blades.

I like waved knives, but also practice with non-waved because I don’t want to be limited by that.

P’Kal or Yojimbo (with Pickpocket wave) are some of my favorites. And OTFs if legal.
    If we look back at historical times when blades were the preeminent technology for defense against other humans, the vast majority of blades that were commonly used met these criteria. Humans have only had several millennia to refine a wedge with a handle.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 12-15-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    If we look back at historical times when blades were the preeminent technology for defense against other humans, the vast majority of blades that were commonly used met these criteria. Humans have only had several millennia to refine a wedge with a handle.
    I think that kind of falls along continental lines though, right?

Lots of Asian / Middle Eastern curved blades (I am far from an expert, though).

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

But mostly for thrusting tip up.

Family heirloom

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

There were were curved blades, but the majority still had handles that allowed blade in or out usage and the ability to stab, even if it wasn’t ideal. Eta: I think a lot of blades didn’t get too extreme, because unless you were stupid rich knives also had to be capable of regular knife stuff too.

Name:  97A15D95-CF0A-4573-BADF-A7C0006A321F.jpeg
Views: 972
Size:  17.1 KB
    Sikh dagger

Name:  7B109118-A601-4E76-94BB-87AF0B7A0A27.jpeg
Views: 975
Size:  10.1 KB
    Iraqi

Name:  79C61E55-8DF8-4DCF-B9DE-CC138E18F336.jpeg
Views: 965
Size:  13.1 KB
    Indian

Name:  5474820D-7998-43F9-A5E9-2EFDD9F1631F.jpeg
Views: 978
Size:  12.7 KB
    Chinese

Edited: forgot to send up the bat signal for @Trooper224 who is far more studied in this topic than I am.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 12-15-2021 at 08:59 PM.

‘Merican

User Tag List