Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN cuts jello with the Matriarch

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Full disclosure:. I am not a wave fan. YMMV
    Nor am I.

Once, during a rather heated portion of FOF with Simunitions, I was required to start the scenario on the ground. My opponent was a large man who leapt into the air and landed with his knee on my right shoulder and was putting considerable effort into getting the Sim-Glock out of my right hand. While I was busy emptying the pistol into the wall behind us so he'd have no rounds to use on me, my left hand was desperately trying to access the Spyderco that lived in my left pocket for just such an imagined scenario.

This took place under the watchful eyes of good instructors, to naturally there was no live blade on my person and it was long enough ago that quality training copies of edc knives were not so plentiful and readily available. I wish I'd had one that day as I'd very much have liked to provide that opponent at least a bruised liver or separated rib as thanks for the two breaks I now had in my shoulder. Fwiw, both instructors moved in to stop the scenario immediately and I learned a lot from it.

A decade or so later, I was gifted a waved Spyderco. I swapped the pocket clip to the left side, dropped to my back in open guard and couldn't reliably deploy the folder from that position. Never carried it. At 53, my next knife purchase will probably be a Northman. Welcome to pm me if anyone's got one they're not enamored with.

Nor am I.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

This is getting way off topic but I keep thinking about different knife carry options after reviewing these threads. Fixed vs folder. Visible vs not. Blade and handle styles. Clinch pick vs not. Few things I’d love to try but don’t have the cash. Currently I carry an Endela for cutting and a Schultz Fledgling on the left belt or left pocket as a GOMT. Sometimes a Dexter appendix if there’s no firearm. Occasionally I carry a Northman.

Idk if I want to start buying for the sake of trying stuff out especially fighting stuff I have limited time with.

On the subject of waved folders, I will go so far as to say that I am an antifan.

On the subject of small fixed blades vs folders: if not for the fact that I live in a state that has effectively outlawed concealed carry of any fixed blade, I wouldn’t even look at folders.

My EDC is necessarily damage control at this point. I used to be so happy with my clinch pick: all you need, nothing you don’t.

*le sigh* my state sort of sucks. It used to be so cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    The designer of the Yo is readily available.

Full disclosure:. I am not a wave fan. YMMV
    The designer of the Canis isn’t exactly devoid of experience either. I wouldn’t mess with either of them, myself. I would train with them, though.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-26-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I’ve had good success with waved folders in training. It takes practice to deploy them reliably, especially in compromised positions. And, if it doesn’t deploy, you can just open it normally.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Used to carry a folder and a fixed blade. For about 2 years (for the most part) I didn’t carry a folder. The folder was for utility anyway. After a while I felt funny pulling out a fixed blade from my waste band for utility, IF I was in a customers house. At a rough in I don’t care. No one blinks an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ve had good success with waved folders in training. It takes practice to deploy them reliably, especially in compromised positions. And, if it doesn’t deploy, you can just open it normally.
    I just don’t have the mojo. As an aside, the most robustly reliable folder I’ve ever seen, in terms or reliable access & opening in any position, is the CRKT Provoke, and especially the Provoke compact. Of course, despite the rapid access and rock solid deployment, you still end up with a sub-2.5” Karambit in your hand, so there’s no free lunch. But that’s an incredibly fumble-free opening to be had with that design. I keep hoping they make a spear point or similar with that whole kinetic opening deal. It’s on my wish list, along with that 3” 6-shot d-framed Ruger LCR that also seems to be made out of unborn unicorn dreams…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Deployment of a folder in an entangled fight isn't easy, period. Wave makes it more reliable but it's not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Was hoping you'd chime in as I know from reading that your experience is different than mine...not to mention more current.

I didn’t have the experience but it was thinking what clusterfrack said. Idk why having a wave would be any worse than a non wave just because they are compromised if entangled because a non waved folder would probably be more compromised since they both can open with their hole/disc/stud but the wave has an additional option. If you can’t wave it, open it normal. If you can’t do that than all folders would have been an issue no?

User Tag List