Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN cuts jello with the Matriarch

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I think we are all sort of on the same page. Stabs are a faster way to put someone down, should that be the goal. The S-curve Spydercos were designed for a specific niche that still exists. Mission drives the gear train. Pick, choose, train.

Simple, GTFOO Dodge tech. What the edge touches, it cuts. Combine with run away. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Yes! For my intended use it would be to create space and distance for me to get to my AIWB gun.

@BehindBlueI's

I do not plan on ever having a knife and not a gun if I can help it.

So my niche for the knife is very narrow. Palming the knife and creating space or buying a breather of time to get to my gun.

In my overall self defense plan, I am deficient and neglecting hand to hand and entanglement scenarios. Mainly because I don’t want to get injured training and there are only so many hours in the day.

I get that for many people in many situations they would choose different tools. I’m not saying they should make the same choices I make. But for my intended purpose matching closely with the intended design, I’m comfortable with that.

I like knives. Stabby ones, cutty ones, even dull ones (for training).

The biggest compromise with the Matriarch/Civillian line is the apparent sacrifice of deep penetrating stabs. That said, so do most knives that are carried in a pocket or on the belt. While a 2-4" blade can fuck up someone's world when deployed properly, we also know that that's a short blade for really fucking up someone's day.

To be honest in deploying one of these S-shaped beasts - I'd opt for Forward Grip Edge In (FGEI) deployment with short hooking motions pulling back towards myself. Even those real short hooks would allow the point to get in and drive deep. This is the same basic technique that @Totem Polar mentioned up-thread with a low-line inguinal entry drive up and pull back and cut someone's belt off from the inside. Same shot entering from the back side of the thoracic cavity could find all kinds of juicy stuff, like kidneys, stomach, bladder, lower portion of the lungs. If the arm is in the way you can get arm muscles and tendons. Or go low and rip through the buttocks or hamstring.

The slash out is not the technique I would probably plan to deploy regularly, because it's really a distance slash. Plus it comes in at roughly eye level. A FGEI orientation coming from the low line is the ticket.

Interesting to me...that's almost exactly my preference for how I deploy a P'Kal and Clinch Pick. And also of interest to me is, when you're grappling for a blade, I'll be damned if you don't often end up with the blade in LOW position where you can go back straight to those arc'ing motions, when you get your hand free.

Just my thoughts. I actually think I'll pick up a Matriarch, though I might get the non-waved version and put a pick pocket on it, because the factory wave looks a little acute in it's hooking angle and I've learned that's a recipe for failed deployment. You want a wave that's big and sticks up. And pick up one of those aluminum trainers too. Because I'm intrigued enough to want to see it all for myself.

Site Supporter
    One thing I've learned over the decades of "playing" with cutting tools is they get stuck at the most inopportune times. Let it go and move away or to another tool.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

I just bought three. One for me, one for my wife and one just in case I break or lose one!

I might let her hit the ballistic gel with the trainer a few times to let her get a sense of what it would feel like to strike something at speed.
    You are very welcome.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

@JCN I sometimes carry this blade as a neck knife when I am in an NPE. I travel to Hawaii quite a bit and even though I have LEOSA creds, I go this route. I made the sheath myself. I used the shock cord for the part that goes over the wave opener, and regular para cord for the necklace portion.

Name:  B6AB2068-B85A-4F64-8CEB-FC608F582DAF_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  D0F4A6D6-4CA9-4E2A-8360-8A53806473EB_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  0806216C-B8C5-4461-AF8E-21BE1E0DDF61_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  691C5689-B442-4F1C-BE64-5A5D4DDF019D.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  59.1 KB
    www.hero911.org

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    @JCN I sometimes carry this blade as a neck knife when I am in an NPE. I travel to Hawaii quite a bit and even though I have LEOSA creds, I go this route. I made the sheath myself. I used the shock cord for the part that goes over the wave opener, and regular para cord for the necklace portion.
    That is brilliant! Do you mind if I borrow that idea?

Hmm. Maybe I could adapt it to the side of an Enigma so I could draw up instead of a clip.

JCN tests the Matriarch for defang the snake

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I like knives. Stabby ones, cutty ones, even dull ones (for training).

The biggest compromise with the Matriarch/Civillian line is the apparent sacrifice of deep penetrating stabs. That said, so do most knives that are carried in a pocket or on the belt. While a 2-4" blade can fuck up someone's world when deployed properly, we also know that that's a short blade for really fucking up someone's day.

To be honest in deploying one of these S-shaped beasts - I'd opt for Forward Grip Edge In (FGEI) deployment with short hooking motions pulling back towards myself. Even those real short hooks would allow the point to get in and drive deep. This is the same basic technique that @Totem Polar mentioned up-thread with a low-line inguinal entry drive up and pull back and cut someone's belt off from the inside. Same shot entering from the back side of the thoracic cavity could find all kinds of juicy stuff, like kidneys, stomach, bladder, lower portion of the lungs. If the arm is in the way you can get arm muscles and tendons. Or go low and rip through the buttocks or hamstring.

The slash out is not the technique I would probably plan to deploy regularly, because it's really a distance slash. Plus it comes in at roughly eye level. A FGEI orientation coming from the low line is the ticket.

Interesting to me...that's almost exactly my preference for how I deploy a P'Kal and Clinch Pick. And also of interest to me is, when you're grappling for a blade, I'll be damned if you don't often end up with the blade in LOW position where you can go back straight to those arc'ing motions, when you get your hand free.

Just my thoughts. I actually think I'll pick up a Matriarch, though I might get the non-waved version and put a pick pocket on it, because the factory wave looks a little acute in it's hooking angle and I've learned that's a recipe for failed deployment. You want a wave that's big and sticks up. And pick up one of those aluminum trainers too. Because I'm intrigued enough to want to see it all for myself.
    One thing I like about more symmetrical Pikal type blades (e.g. Watson, Disciple) is the ability to cut and then thrust.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

That is brilliant! Do you mind if I borrow that idea?

Hmm. Maybe I could adapt it to the side of an Enigma so I could draw up instead of a clip.
    Of course!!!! I saw it somewhere myself and figured out how to make it. It works very well. You have to be careful, I have cut a few shirts on the draw. LOL
    www.hero911.org

@Clusterfrack

Hehe

@Crusader8207 your post inspired me to look up what’s available and maybe a Civilian in an auto-opening kydex sheath would be the shit….

@Clusterfrack

Hehe

@Crusader8207 your post inspired me to look up what’s available and maybe a Civilian in an auto-opening kydex sheath would be the shit….
    It works well for me. I think you would like the function.
    www.hero911.org

User Tag List