Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 inch GP100 .357 Shooting

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Or an MR88 Target.
    I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass for missing out on the MR88s a few years ago.

(Right up there with the NYSP M-28s around 1983...)

Anyway, nothing on GB. And, for some stupid reason, sellers have put a lot of Smiths and Rugers in the "other manufacturers" category. Those are, essentially, spam.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 12-20-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Got the new stocks in and mounted to the 6" Security Six. It fits my hands much better now.

Name:  PXL_20211220_212617791~2.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  100.4 KB

Here is a 12 shot group with wadcutters that I cast myself. The Alox I used to lube it was smelly and smokey when I fired them, but my DA shooting is getting me better groups than when I tried shooting SA. Shot from my GP100 at 7 yards. I know it isn't Bulleye shooting, but I am getting better.

Waiting for the Dawson fiber optic front sight to come in.

Name:  PXL_20211219_203724308.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  45.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Agree, took a while for me too. Part of it was that the factory grips don't fit my hand very well, part was the green blob of a front sight on the MC. That's a Novak tritium on the photo below, it's .265 tall and works well with the factory rears. I'm debating whether to keep that setup or go with Rough Country rear sights since I already have a set; but those seem to require a little taller front sight.

Attachment 81592

Took this one to the range earlier today and it shot well with both 38 Short Colt and with a mild magnum load.
    I have the Novak .265 tritium on my MC. I could dial the rear to hit POA with 158-grain magnum loads using the stock adjustable rear sight as well as the Bowen Rough Country.

At first, I goofed up and ordered the .44 magnum rear blade. That definitely did not work. The replacement rear blade for .357 magnum worked. I had to file the "arm" on the sight a little to get it to fit in the Ruger frame and adjust all the way down.

I like the big billboard-sized rear blade of the Rough Country but I'm not sure it's that much better than the stock Ruger rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass for missing out on the MR88s a few years ago.
    You & me both[emoji24]

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    And, for some stupid reason, sellers have put a lot of Smiths and Rugers in the "other manufacturers" category. Those are, essentially, spam.
    I’m amazed at the number of retailers that don’t pay attention to or otherwise monitor their listings. Even if you’ve delegated it to the shop minion you don’t want anywhere near the customers, why wouldn’t you keep an eye out and at least make sure the listings are in the correct manufacturer category?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Agree, took a while for me too. Part of it was that the factory grips don't fit my hand very well, part was the green blob of a front sight on the MC. That's a Novak tritium on the photo below, it's .265 tall and works well with the factory rears. I'm debating whether to keep that setup or go with Rough Country rear sights since I already have a set; but those seem to require a little taller front sight.

Attachment 81592

Took this one to the range earlier today and it shot well with both 38 Short Colt and with a mild magnum load.
    What sort of grips are those?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Salamander: Who made the grips on your MC? And how do they fit? TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    What sort of grips are those?

They're Eagle's. Fit is mediocre, had to do some sanding to get them to fit at all and there are gaps in several places. Despite the claim that they're cut for speedloaders... Comp2's with 140gr Barnes Vor-TX do not clear.

They look nice, but I'm probably going to order some VZ's.

Here are some images of mine with the two types that VZ offers for the GP100.

The VZ 320, with a very smooth surface:

The VZ Twisters, with a slighly rougher finish, with machined grooves:

Both are excellent, but I personally slightly prefer the Twisters for their increased gripping surfaces which I find ideal with full-house .357 magnum loads, particularly in wet weather (not that we ever have much of that in the Pacific Northwest...)

Best, Jon

I have the VZs on several of the new Colt Revolvers and Smiths, J,K,N. For Magnums I recommend the Diamond Tacticals. I have the Operators on a Colt NC. Tried them on a KC with magnums and they were a little too much traction. Love the look of them on the GPs.

Took HH6 to shoot for the first time in long time. She really loves the M64 that I have, I put 148 grain wadcutters in and she was doing really well. If she shot more that 3-4 times a decade she could out shoot me easily.

She did not like the 60-4, even with wadcutters it was too much recoil for her. She did not mind my GP100, except that it got heavy for her pretty fast. The new stocks on the Security Six were to big for her hands, But the stag stocks with the T-Grip on the M64 work perfect for her. She really did not like the 38 Short Colt loads. They are a lot hotter than the 38 WC load.

User Tag List