Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 inch GP100 .357 Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    It's a Dawson Precision fiber optic front. It's not apparent from that picture, but it's mated to a Bowen Rough Country rear. I like them both very much. My GP100 is a deer huntin' gun and it can be pretty dim in our thick timber during the first light/last light hour. The sight will continue to pick up light until we're past the point I'm not going to pull the trigger any more.
    Which height did you go with for the Dawson? I did the calculator on the web page and it seems like the .280 is the same factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Which height did you go with for the Dawson? I did the calculator on the web page and it seems like the .280 is the same factory.
    Just pulled my receipt out of the bowels of my email:

Dawson Precision Ruger GP100 Revolver Fiber Optic Front Sights
    (Choose Sight Height & Width Below: .300" Tall x .125" Wide Ramped Serrated)
    019-378

That's what I have. So slightly taller than stock? Mine zeroes with everything from 125 to 180. Haven't tried anything lighter or heavier.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Thanks! I will probably go with that height as well. It is easier to take metal off than to add it.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Just pulled my receipt out of the bowels of my email:

Dawson Precision Ruger GP100 Revolver Fiber Optic Front Sights
    (Choose Sight Height & Width Below: .300" Tall x .125" Wide Ramped Serrated)
    019-378

That's what I have. So slightly taller than stock? Mine zeroes with everything from 125 to 180. Haven't tried anything lighter or heavier.
    The Dawson Precision front sight has proven far superior to the factory blade (I did, however, change the installed red light pipe out for a green one). The sight I installed on my 4" GP-100 had this on the receipt:

Item 019-114-00

Sight/Ruger/Front/GP100/
    Revolver/Opt/.270T/.125W/Ramped... (etc)

I got the .270" height only because it was the closest option to the factory front blade. I am not sure if that was an intelligent decision or just a lucky throw of the dart, but I did not have to mess with the elevation on the factory rear sight after the swap. As in all things ballistic, "YMMV."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I was considering an MC like yours when the Security 6 popped up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Those don’t seem to turn up often around here. My first center fire handgun was a six inch stainless I bought new in the late 80s.
    It is funny you posted that Security Six. I bought this one a few years ago to help a guy out. Yesterday was the first time I shot this one.
    On my 21st birthday I went out and bought a 6" stainless Security Six and a bottle of Wild Turkey. The gun was stolen, and the bourbon was consumed, I all I have left is an empty bottle with the date written on it...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    On my 21st birthday I went out and bought a 6" stainless Security Six and a bottle of Wild Turkey. The gun was stolen, and the bourbon was consumed, I all I have left is an empty bottle with the date written on it...
    That would leave me forever pissed off. But I am Scottish..

Each time I see a pic of a stainless GP100 I think that it would be the perfect Apocalypse gun. It just seems like that would be the one gun you would want with you. You rarely hear of an issue with one if it has left the factory running right. Pretty hard to beat a stainless medium frame Ruger GP and a bunch of .38/357s.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Finding a 6” Security Six, doing a bit of a trigger job and then shortening the barrel to 5.25” might make for a budget MR-73.

Thanks! I will probably go with that height as well. It is easier to take metal off than to add it.
    The design of the Dawson front really isn't amenable to grinding it down. A couple passes with a file and you'll remove the metal that holds the fiber rod in place. The good news about this configuration of GP100 is that you're $30 and five minutes of your away from popping on a new front sight whenever you want.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Each time I see a pic of a stainless GP100 I think that it would be the perfect Apocalypse gun. It just seems like that would be the one gun you would want with you. You rarely hear of an issue with one if it has left the factory running right. Pretty hard to beat a stainless medium frame Ruger GP and a bunch of .38/357s.
    When we lived an urban/suburban existence, I invested heavily in 3rd Gen Glock 19s. I have substantially more than " a pair and a spare." (Insert "boating accident" joke here.)

We've been on the edge of a national forest for 8 years, and now when I walk out the door, it's with some combination of 4" GP100, a J-frame and a Marlin 1894c. Just scored a 640 Pro to replace my 638.

I'm giving serious thought in coming years to turning the stable of Glock 19s into spare GP100s, 640 Pros, and 1894cs. I was actually drifting that way pre-'rona. The last two years would have been a great time to unload Glocks, but a poor time to score new revolvers and the ammo or components to vet them. Long-term though, I may go in that direction.

I just loaded up a bunch of Hornady 148 grain HBWCs to shoot. I also loaded 12 of the Lyman 148 bullets that I cast. I will shoot them next time I go to the range and see how they preform.

I ordered the Dawson front sight.

User Tag List