Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 inch GP100 .357 Shooting

The 7 1/2 and 6 1/2 were a semi-failure/semi-success (depending on if you are a half glass full or half glass empty kind of person. I could get both types of rifle primers to go off every time if I shot single action only. If I shot double action I was around 50-66% successful. Many went off after I fired them a second time, but I had three that would not go off even after getting fired 4 or 5 times.

@RevolverRob suggested that I try them single action and they all fired.

I also shot a bunch of the 162 WC that I cast. I really like them, and they shot very well. I didn't take any pictures of the targets this time but I had a few groups that were pretty darn good.

I also shot Rob's little Colt revolver and it is light. I thought it was almost S&W Scandium J frame light, although I did not have one on hand to do a direct comparison. The DA trigger was light. But the curve of the trigger was not comfortable on my finger. I do think it would be a screaming gun to carry a lot and shoot a little.

Name:  AC41F4E2-D455-4833-B963-41FA2CCB4AC9.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  60.9 KB

I cast some 162 gr WCs (see above posts) and got a chance to shoot them on Friday. A ~ 2 inch group (ignore those flyers, please) at 7 yards isn't too bad.

Load

162 gr NOE WC
    3.3 gr Titegroup
    *- 38 Special Brass
    CCI SPP

The load is super soft but shoot just little low at 7 yards.

You got a great deal on that! I have a soft spot for Ruger wheel guns.

Site Supporter
    The first centerfire gun I every shot was a GP100. My dad had (still has!) a 6" stainless GP100, and I came across a used 357 match champion last week for a great price and I had to buy it. It shoots well, handier than the full lug 6" my dad has, and is manageable even with full house 158 grain 357 ammo. I'm planning on getting at least a holster and some speed loaders and shooting some indoor matches with it.

Cast up a couple of hundred NOE 162 gr WC. I will get them sized and lubed sometime this week. I want to shoot them for groups.

Name:  05A64728-ADB9-4581-8663-446D4BC58C3A.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  61.9 KB

Got some 162 gr wadcutters sized and lubed. My NOE mold drops some nice bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Name:  05A64728-ADB9-4581-8663-446D4BC58C3A.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  61.9 KB

Got some 162 gr wadcutters sized and lubed. My NOE mold drops some nice bullets.
    Damn, do you use 158gr data when crimped in the lower groove?

Ive been tempted to start casting but haven't yet.

I ran 3.3 grains of titegroup. It is the lower end of the data for 158s.

Casting has been pretty easy so far. @willie helped me get started and is a great resource to hit up with questions.

Site Supporter
    I ran 3.3 grains of titegroup. It is the lower end of the data for 158s.

Casting has been pretty easy so far. @willie helped me get started and is a great resource to hit up with questions.
    Thank you for the kind comment. I studied casting and practiced the art for many decades. I've been meaning to suggest that you try this: Loosen the spruce plate screw so that the plate rests atop the mold in a loose and floppy manner. The reason is that the screw applies force to one corner of the plate, and the result is that the plate is unlikely to fit perfectly flat. Now, once you poor the lead, and it hardens, you are less likely to smear lead on top of the mold when hitting spruce plate to shear the spruce. Best technique is using a moist sponge to hasten mold cooling. Simply invert the mold and press it against the sponge. The trick with the spruce plate does not readily work with Lee molds which require modification.

Hey. In my safe are two like new Colt revolvers made in the 50's and 60's. They have your name on them. I hope you are doing well.

Attachment 91694

I am going to test fire this with the stainless cylinder this week. I just bought another blued cylinder so the the crane and crane pivot assembly will match the frame.
    That grip with the blued finish just looks perfect. I'm not too into gun aesthetics -- especially where the GP100 is concerned -- but it's so obviously, "Yes, this is the correct combination."

User Tag List