Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 inch GP100 .357 Shooting

4 inch GP100 .357 Shooting

Just some blathering about my 4" GP100

I bought this GP100 around 2005 from a guy on The High Road for around $250. It was my first face to face purchase and I wasn't sure what was going to happen. It sat in my safe unfired by me until earlier this year.

Name:  PXL_20210920_201531497~3.jpg
Views: 2384
Size:  94.3 KB

I added the Hogue Match Champion stocks. A buddy worked at a gunshop and they got a MC into the store and the stocks were a little buggered up. They called Ruger and got sent a new set, and Ruger did not want the stocks back. He gave them to me... a little glue and there is no noticeable problems.

Lost Rivers post on the 38 Short Colt loads got me thinking how fun that would be to go out and shoot some in this gun. I got dies, brass and bullets for it and loaded up some. I have shot around 400 of the 38 Short Colts through it with no issue other than having to really push 38 Specials into the cylinder right after shooting the Short Colts. The loading of the Specials has not been an issue after the first cylinder.

I have been working on shooting DA only and I have been improving over the last couple of months.

I just loaded up some 148 Hornady HBWC and the shot pretty well. I sure like the clean targets they make compared to the 158 Rainier plated HP that I usually shoot.

Name:  PXL_20211215_204225399.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  PXL_20211215_204244557.jpg
Views: 2273
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  PXL_20211215_204303242.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  43.5 KB

I am still trying to find a gunsmith who will switch the barrel out for a stainless barrel in my quest for a faux-Pinto.

Namaste.

Name:  348CF3AB-280F-4D30-A855-F056272FC464.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  68.2 KB
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

As much as I like the old 4” Smiths, Colt’s and pert near any .22 revolver I run across, a 4” .357 GP just might be my ideal General Purpose (see what I did there ) do-all revolver.

I need to get off my duff and get on that Short Colt bus.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

IDK which is worse, letting a perfectly good revolver sit unfired for 16 years, or even considering turning a lovely piece of blue steel into butt a ugly two-tone.

Either way, bring on the tar & feathers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Namaste.

Name:  348CF3AB-280F-4D30-A855-F056272FC464.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  68.2 KB

What front sight is on that? I think I may break down and get the gold bead sight from Gemini custom.

My eyes are having a harder time picking up the black front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    What front sight is on that? I think I may break down and get the gold bead sight from Gemini custom.

My eyes are having a harder time picking up the black front sight.
    That picture looked way less shitty on my IPAD screen.

It's a Dawson Precision fiber optic front. It's not apparent from that picture, but it's mated to a Bowen Rough Country rear. I like them both very much. My GP100 is a deer huntin' gun and it can be pretty dim in our thick timber during the first light/last light hour. The sight will continue to pick up light until we're past the point I'm not going to pull the trigger any more.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

$250 for that revolver is a ridiculously good deal!

I think that frame size of Ruger is extremely underrated, and most people don't know what they are missing. Personally I have always gravitated towards Smiths, but also recognized the attributes of the hell for stout Rugers. Not too long ago I finally found a 6" Security 6 .357 that was in like new condition. They are one gun that I for a long time overlooked in favor of others (K Frame Smiths), but after handling a few 4" versions I really saw what a great gun they were, in terms of size, weight, barrel profile and balance. You could shoot one for a lifetime and be hard pressed to wear one out.

I was considering an MC like yours when the Security 6 popped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    $250 for that revolver is a ridiculously good deal!

I think that frame size of Ruger is extremely underrated, and most people don't know what they are missing. Personally I have always gravitated towards Smiths, but also recognized the attributes of the hell for stout Rugers. Not too long ago I finally found a 6" Security 6 .357 that was in like new condition. They are one gun that I for a long time overlooked in favor of others (K Frame Smiths), but after handling a few 4" versions I really saw what a great gun they were, in terms of size, weight, barrel profile and balance. You could shoot one for a lifetime and be hard pressed to wear one out.

I was considering an MC like yours when the Security 6 popped up.

Those don’t seem to turn up often around here. My first center fire handgun was a six inch stainless I bought new in the late 80s. A year or two later I unfortunately traded for the new 4” GP100 as I was going into law enforcement. The agency that hired me issued 4” Security Sixes and I also sometimes carried it or the GP off duty. I wish I had bought the 4” when they were traded for 5906s in 1990. We did keep a couple for Simunition use. I bought one of those a few years ago when I traded in a batch of guns.
    I’ve had my eyes open for a 2 3/4” Security Six but have never seen one turn up locally. From what I understand parts are very limited but like you said, they should last a long time.

Yep, it has a great feel to it. I am immensely happy with it. More likely than not it will see an RDO on it for testing loads/load development pretty soon, if I can find a decent deal on a new or used little RDO. Making ammo on a constant basis and having 50 + year old eyes, the red dot helps immensely to get a true representation of what the ammo is capable of.

But still, the 6" S6 is no $250 MC! Usually I completely forget the price I pay for a gun, as what I am getting is more important, than whether I paid a bit under or over current market value. Every now and then you get a bargain you might remember. It would be very hard to forget Flamingo's deal.

That would make me one happy bird!

It is funny you posted that Security Six. I bought this one a few years ago to help a guy out. Yesterday was the first time I shot this one. (Well I have shot a few wax bullets through it in the back yard, but that doesn't really count.)

Name:  PXL_20211216_163817121~2.jpg
Views: 2056
Size:  92.2 KB

Shooting this double action only I could not keep 12 shots inside the 6 inch ring. The first shot was dead nuts in the center so I think it is a me problem more than the gun. I really don't like the magna style stocks that came with it. I started cruising ebay (which is very dangerous to me) and I got a set of stocks for it. I am sure I over paid, but such is life.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 2036
Size:  45.4 KB

This is the first 6 inch double action revolver that I have had. I do need to get a paint pen and change the color of the front sight.

I am excited to mess with these two revolvers. @willie has been super helpful to me on this journey. He is mentoring me long distance on casting. I am looking forward to trying some of my own wad cutter loads.

User Tag List