Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 inch GP100 .357 Shooting

Name:  913A006E-77AD-4BB4-BDD7-14421FF073F5.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  48.2 KB

Got the Dawson FO front sight installed and took it to the local range. I had to move the POI up a little and shot a 30 round group of 148 wadcutters. I used about 15 or so of bullets that I cast and 15 or so of the Hornady wadcutters I had previously loaded up. A 4 inch group at 10 yards is about as good as I can shoot right now. Shot it DA only so @jetfire wouldn't make fun of me .

I am really enjoying shooting the revolver right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post

Got the Dawson FO front sight installed and took it to the local range. I had to move the POI up a little and shot a 30 round group of 148 wadcutters. I used about 15 or so of bullets that I cast and 15 or so of the Hornady wadcutters I had previously loaded up. A 4 inch group at 10 yards is about as good as I can shoot right now. Shot it DA only so @jetfire wouldn't make fun of me .

I have no notes, this is solid

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."

Got the Dawson FO front sight installed and took it to the local range.

Excellent!

IMO, the Dawson FO front sight is the most cost-effective and painless way to improve the sights on a standard GP-100.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with that group! You have a beautiful revolver that represents the best of our technology. My opinion is that it outclasses today's S&W's. I wish that I had a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Excellent!

IMO, the Dawson FO front sight is the most cost-effective and painless way to improve the sights on a standard GP-100.
    Perhaps, but “painless” is hardly what I would call a Dawson FO front sight, unless by “painless” you mean “can cut you faster than a barrel full of hungry rabid piranhas carrying Randall knives”.

Those suckers are SHARP.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Perhaps, but “painless” is hardly what I would call a Dawson FO front sight, unless by “painless” you mean “can cut you faster than a barrel full of hungry rabid piranhas carrying Randall knives”.

Those suckers are SHARP.
    The edges are definitely not "melted."
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I have been learning how to cast from @willie (he patiently puts up with my dumb questions). This morning I decided that I was going to cast, lube/size, load and shoot some .358 bullets.

Name:  AC6D4DE3-7F7B-428B-B4B2-657EB521619C (1).jpg
Views: 544
Size:  70.1 KB

I used a new to me mold, a NEI 104 166.358, that dropped 166.5 grain bullets with the mystery alloy I am using. I sized the bullets on a Lyman 450, and loaded them up with 5.3 grains of True Blue powder in *-* brass and CCI SPP.

Name:  1F8B6DF3-85DE-4416-BC89-4243FADD4DBE.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  72.6 KB

I shot a few of them to get the barrel used to the lube and then shot a 12 round group DA at 7 yards.

Name:  D4D6B0E7-E37D-4E0B-AFB3-208ED3D2FEBB.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  71.0 KB

The range I shoot at won't let me draw from a holster, but I need to get off my butt and do some dry fire practice and work on my reloads with it.

I haven't shot my carry gun, a G19 with RDS, in a while so I sent some rounds down range. I shot a much better group than usual. I am positive that the DA shooting I have been doing has been helpful for shooting that.

I also shot a bunch of the 148 WCs in 38 Special brass as well as the 38 Short Colt loaded with 125 FP bullets. The POA/POI is very similar for all three of these loads.

Site Supporter
    Beautiful bullets! I'm so pleased to mentor a new caster. NEI molds are aluminum and were highly thought of during years of production. Today you can't buy a new one at any price.

That's a beautiful bullet

User Tag List