Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN is still dumb. More revolver experiments.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You’re doing custom grips with the original plan. Why not just focus there? Carbon fiber shells with rigid foam filler would be lighter than rubber.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Baseline numbers

Name:  B2E947ED-FF29-4F08-971E-53B9B9089F7A.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  5FC5A57A-0F7B-4CBF-B7E9-6ABF8E4FAA45.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  118B65B2-3E90-4AFA-9658-F3616CCA4AD9.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  A0CEE464-14C8-459E-9ECE-BC9C987C6921.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  DF539FCC-0868-45D3-B2D4-281B54533A42.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  50.5 KB

I think there’s probably only 0.75 oz to take out of the grips.

Going to Dremel holes and lightening cuts in these grips too.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You’re doing custom grips with the original plan. Why not just focus there? Carbon fiber shells with rigid foam filler would be lighter than rubber.

Lighter cases

I heard of someone using CCI aluminum case rounds in a airlite trying to shave weight.. The 342 titanium cylinders had deeper wider flutes..I would venture that the cylinder could go on a diet. I'm sure you know that the trigger guard and back strap were also milled with a channel also on the 342. This is the MP that I welded up the lock holes and converted to a Ti cylinder. How about the cylinder release thumb piece, print it or machine it from polymer instead of steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Michpatriot; 12-18-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    I heard of someone using CCI aluminum case rounds in a airlite trying to shave weight.. The 342 titanium cylinders had deeper wider flutes..I would venture that the cylinder could go on a diet. I'm sure you know that the trigger guard and back strap were also milled with a channel also on the 342. This is the MP that I welded up the lock holes and converted to a Ti cylinder. How about the cylinder release thumb piece, print it or machine it from polymer instead of steel.
    You did a great job with that!

My current thought is that I hollow out the grips and shave the inside of the frame in the grip so you can’t see any modification from the outside. Then see how heavy it is.

Depending on how light it gets, I might start cutting cosmetic parts off the front of the crane and narrowing down some of the flares of the frame and shroud. Also like you said maybe deepens the flutes of the cylinder.

My goal weight in my head is 10.0 ounces since it has to be lighter than a 342 to accomplish something “better.”

What does the barrel profile look like withiut the shroud! I cant remember, but I think that 442 designed for secret service had a plain barrel no sights, I actually think it was an aluminum cylinder for total weight of 9oz!

Looking forward to updates. If ya get a wild hair, maybe chop some off the bottom of grip?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    What does the barrel profile look like withiut the shroud! I cant remember, but I think that 442 designed for secret service had a plain barrel no sights, I actually think it was an aluminum cylinder for total weight of 9oz!

Looking forward to updates. If ya get a wild hair, maybe chop some off the bottom of grip?

Dave
    Name:  E49E3555-0088-4F54-9FA9-A84071480BFB.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  15.9 KB

I think cutting the barrel will probably be low on the list for me since the weight can come off other places.

The very bottom of grip does have a serial number so I can’t cut that so I was thinking of hollowing it out on the inside to cut weight.

I have plans…

Have a couple things cooking that might alter plans a little.

Okay. 342 and View.

So I didn’t know about the Smith 342 until mentioned in this thread by a couple knowledgeable gents and it seems like it’s what I would have done to the 340PD…

So I bought a Smith 342 with the grooved trigger guard, backstrap and flutes to be the starting point.

Also bought one of those Taurus 9oz Views to compare with.

I have some ideas of making it into something that could replace my NAA pug….

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    How much does the lock weigh?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    How much does the lock weigh?
    If you’re talking about this part it’s negligible….

Name:  5F8ABD7D-5BDD-4FC8-95E0-8EFD7BC3511D.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  25.7 KB

User Tag List