Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: JCN is still dumb. More revolver experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    No and not gonna! Hahaha It's really to upgrade from 22WMR so even the bunny fart loads are just fine. If ammo comes back in stock, I'll try those wimpy wadcutters and see what I can do with them.

I'm not a fan of 38/357 in short barrels and if I were trying to make a ballistic statement I would probably go 3" barrel or go LCR9 in 9mm that makes velocities like a P365.
    I feel better now. I thought it was just me
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

@Polecat

I went back to the Aholster even though it’s larger than the trigger guard holster it stays in place and is more comfortable.

Got these for weak hand index practice:

Name:  BF5A3C21-5E92-4976-93AB-06E57E53BB39.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  2E5E7D46-2EAA-4E80-98AC-0BC7B4FC4AA1.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  50.7 KB

That grip is hard to use but I like it for what it is!

Got the practice gun in.

Name:  FA60D0EC-8EBF-4E1F-9DCE-C6A6B3F24B07.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  30.1 KB

This one is a “No View” and I’ll use it for practice and dry fire index work.

The other will stay loaded and holstered.

Also I own two of these now

Name:  E6A16C9C-1E30-43B9-9415-25F699671AB1.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  76.8 KB

I have been carrying the View almost 100% of the time as my only gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    JCN, that was a cool find. I have been a purveyor of these small revos for years. Before I had kiddos, I bet I had 12 or 13 different J frames. What I noticed was even single rounds add up to weight differences brass vs alum case, and of course outright bullet weight.

I noticed a difference in controllability, well actually call that comfort and tolerability for about each 4-5 oz difference. You have them from about 10.8 oz, 12.5, 13.5, 14, 15, 17, 20, 23, 25 oz. These weights encompass the J’s, LCR, Charters, Sp’s.

I Hated the 342PD, yet loved the design, deep cylinder cuts, frame reliefs, etc. I did find an old factory load by “3D” that used to offer a 100 grain wadcutter at a very mild 700-725fps, that I could shoot all day long. This load is what I will try and replicate for my little view. The 342 even with wadcutters, resembled a small grenade going off in your hand🙂

Grips can change the dynamic of these little guns too. They can vary by 2-4oz depending. I found what helped most was covering the backstrap. The centennials used to have “high horn” grips that helped smooth the edge of the frame transition and made it a bit less uncomfortable. The small Taurus grips on the J frame is a great combo.

Dave
    I shot a fair bit of that old Zero load back in the early 90s. Very polite little load that worked just fine on smallish critters.

I ran into that grip weight issue when I was hunting logical grips for my 2" 317 a couple years back. The g10 grips I tried weighed more than the gun! At that time the lightest that I could find were Houge Bantams in rubber, so I cut off the finger groove and used those. Spegel High Horn Boor Grips in walnut are the best compromise that I ever found for my 342 as far a weight vs improved control.

@JCN - REALLY enjoying all the oddball projects. Thanks for posting and sharing all this with us.
    Last edited by revolvergeek; 01-11-2022 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    @JCN - REALLY enjoying all the oddball projects. Thanks for posting and sharing all this with us.
    You’re welcome! I have a pretty diverse set of interests and it’s fun to share.

What does the View give you that your .380 revolver you tested doesn't?

The Hornady Lite is essentially a .380 isn't it?

What about cutting the grip of the .380 down and getting the advantage of the shorter frame?

Not that I'm enabling...

C’mon JCN, get the power tools. I got my popcorn, beer and peanuts ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What does the View give you that your .380 revolver you tested doesn't?

The Hornady Lite is essentially a .380 isn't it?

What about cutting the grip of the .380 down and getting the advantage of the shorter frame?

Not that I'm enabling...
    I think the issue is the weight of the 380 chassis.

Name:  8DDB14F2-E593-4642-A8A4-CFE5F2F46A2C.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  02A5106F-CB10-497A-B630-3D9346D5B3EF.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  20.3 KB

Even cut down it would still be heavier.
    Chassis wise the weight of the 342 is the only comparison.

The 380 is fairly short but the shorter barrel of the View still makes it a wash.

So no likely advantage.

If I could somehow get the View cut for moon clips and use 380 that would be awesome.

But dimensionally would need to start with a 327 cylinder or something like that.

Could cut for 9mm and hand load 380 type ammo.

I still think about cutting down a 342 to be like a view but that butt serial number would need relocating.
    Last edited by JCN; 01-11-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Maybe put the view barrel on the .380?

User Tag List