Thread: Face/Head Protection w/cheek weld for UTM

Face/Head Protection w/cheek weld for UTM

I'm gearing up for a force on force UTM class and looking for face/head protection recommendations. A buddy/course alum from the class loaned me an MPG face protection/goggles set up, but I really struggle to get good cheek weld to see the red dot.

Recommendations?

Happy shooting, Jerry
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

A real cheek weld is not going to happen with the face protector. Takes a minute to get used to but you’ll adjust on the fly. Hand protection is a good idea, you’ll likely get shot in the hands multiple times.

I've used paintball style goggles/face protectors before for UTM with good results, but there is a greater than zero chance of taking a fair bit of spall/paint through the vents of the face shield and that style does little for top of head. Still much preferable to the Simmunitions branded Dearth Vader helmet that severely limits situational awareness and constantly fogs over due to limited ventilation. If doing rifle work with close range head/neck hits probable, I would add some sort of cloth/padded neck guard and a decent hat. Also second the glove recommendation- Mechanix Impact gloves sold at Lowes/HD/Wally World are fit for purpose.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I've done OPFOR multiple times, including at DARC a few times (just got back from last week's class).

I started out with my old Scott AV2000, and upgraded to an Airboss LBM with a ballistic outsert. I also run a ballistic helmet with helmet mounted ear pro, though you don't have to, and can just use a bump helmet with ear pro under the helmet, though I would strongly advise taping up the vent holes on a bump helmet. I also run a shemagh around the neck for additional protection; I know some folks that will run a balaclava of the weight that the weather can sustain.

A pointer in the appropriate spectrum can be quite nice, otherwise the use of a riser on the RDS/HWS would be useful to get a sight picture. When I first started out with an AV2000 and an Aimpoint Micro T-2 on a GDI lower 1/3rd mount, it was quite an ordeal to get a sight picture. With my LBM, EOTech EXPS3 on a Unity Riser, it's not too bad at all. Really, the riser is the way to go, it makes it far easier than trying to find the appropriate level of protection while still giving you cheekweld; there are folks that can use an EOTech on a Unity Riser without too much problem even when using an MSA Millennium, which really isn't optimized for cheekweld.

Also remember to have sacrificial lenses for anything on the rifle; sights, WMLs, etc. UTMs are noticeably hotter than FoF/Simunitions, and you'll definitely feel the difference on your skin, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post

Also remember to have sacrificial lenses for anything on the rifle; sights, WMLs, etc. UTMs are noticeably hotter than FoF/Simunitions, and you'll definitely feel the difference on your skin, too.
    Do you have a sacrificial lens for the EXPS?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Do you have a sacrificial lens for the EXPS?
    I personally used this: https://www.redwolfairsoft.com/acces...ech-sight.html

My first one got shattered, probably by a UTM at point blank, but the optic was fine (also had an 0.125" acrylic lens I had taped in front of my RAID-X shattered that night, too). Threw in my second cover, and put some packing tape over it, and it held up just fine the rest of the week. Without the packing tape, the optical performance was pretty good, no noticeable distortion, not too much darkening of the image even in low light situations, both with the naked eye and under NODs, though obviously not as good as no cover at all.

Some guys will just buy a sheet of Lexan and cut out a piece and tape it over the front. The cheaper way to go if you have the proper tools, especially if you just go for unbranded polycarbonate, though I've had some guys tell me they feel that Lexan is more reliable than generic polycarb.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    A real cheek weld is not going to happen with the face protector. Takes a minute to get used to but you’ll adjust on the fly.
    You were right. I added PPE kitted up dry fire with the carbine tonight to the regular weekly dry fire and it might have been a smidgen slower, but it came together. Will keep hamering at it over the next month. Next comes the gloves. The Impact gloves came tonight, but I HATE shooting with gloves.

Thanks and happy shooting, Jerry
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

User Tag List