Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite PCC competition optic?

Your favorite PCC competition optic?

2021 and my new knee marked my return to USPSA after ten years. But when I left the sport, PCC did not yet exist. I am dipping my toe with a 9mm PSA rifle fitted with a bunch of aftermarket parts and the Timney trigger group, but the part that is not settled for me yet is the optic.

For a 5.56 AR, I am an Aimpoint Pro/M4/M2/Comp XD red dot user with a 50 yard zero for almost 20 years, so a single red dot of some sort, is what I will run with, no complex reticles in my future to retrain my brain on.

However after just throwing one of the aimpoints on, having that high offset mount and zeroing at various distances then remembering the holdovers has been difficult in this context. So for this sport having something closer to the bore axis with a closer distance zero, e.g. 20 yards and driving the dot like I would a CO or Open gun is where I am headed.

Just curious what PCC competitors here are running on their 9mm AR type or Sig PCC platforms and how it is working out for you, how you are zeroing, what size dot. Heard lots of opinions from the people at the clubs I frequent, including a pair of GM's, that seem to be all over the place on this subject.

There is also this huge span in the price range of these lower bore axis sight options from $150 to $600 and the subject of what is too low to get a decent cheek weld and still see the dot seems to be a factor. What mount system is stable and does not have too many layers on the gun to potentially loosen, etc. etc.

I am no expert. I am just barely scratching the surface of getting back into competition shooting after nearly a decade off, and using PCC as an easy route back in.

I am using one of these
    https://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-Holos.../dp/B07VQYHB7J

and I'm finding issues with the brightness. I changed out the battery and am storing it with it manually shut off for now (I think it's supposed to have an auto-shut-off?) to see if that helps.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I am no expert. I am just barely scratching the surface of getting back into competition shooting after nearly a decade off, and using PCC as an easy route back in.

I am using one of these

and I'm finding issues with the brightness. I changed out the battery and am storing it with it manually shut off for now (I think it's supposed to have an auto-shut-off?) to see if that helps.
    What problem are you having, and do you have it in auto or manual mode?

I have been using three different PCC optics — Holosun 512C, Holosun AEMS and a Sig Romeo 3 XL. Prefer the AEMS, if I had to pick one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am using one of these

and I'm finding issues with the brightness.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What problem are you having,
    uuuuh, it's not bright enough?

and do you have it in auto or manual mode?
    I have no idea. I felt like it was in "auto" when I put it awa0y and after the last coon-encounter, but now that I've smashed on the buttons like a monkey trying to get it bright enough to see, I could very well have it in spaceship mode at this point!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

uuuuh, it's not bright enough?

I have no idea. I felt like it was in "auto" when I put it awa0y and after the last coon-encounter, but now that I've smashed on the buttons like a monkey trying to get it bright enough to see, I could very well have it in spaceship mode at this point!
    If you hold the + button for more than 3 seconds, it will toggle between auto and manual. Try manual, and control the intensity manually.

Name:  DC032465-8308-453A-A14B-20A4BFE23EBE.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  61.3 KB

Thanks @GJM

On the broader topic of the OP, is this a common feature/setting of the Holosons?

I think that one of my main issues with the brightness on my optic was a shaded firing line and a full-sun target. which would make sense and line up with what is described in your screen shot. and might be helpful to know for anyone considering (presumably?) any Holosun with a solar panel?

I have an MRO (not HD) on a scalarworks mount. I'm thinking of trying a dot-only Eotech if I can find one. Max L. seems to think pretty highly of them.

Thanks @GJM

On the broader topic of the OP, is this a common feature/setting of the Holosons?

I think that one of my main issues with the brightness on my optic was a shaded firing line and a full-sun target. which would make sense and line up with what is described in your screen shot. and might be helpful to know for anyone considering (presumably?) any Holosun with a solar panel?
    The Holosun pistol optics works as follows.

They typically come out of the box in auto. You can confirm this by pressing the +/- and seeing no change in the reticle intensity. Hold the + for more than three seconds and it goes from auto to manual. On a number of the models, holding the + again for more than three seconds puts the optic in lock out mode where the +/- don’t work to change the setting you selected in manual.

The - button controls intensity in manual, and if you hold it for more than three seconds, it will toggle between reticle options in the 507 but not 407 series.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    thinking of trying a dot-only Eotech
    Did not even know they made those...https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1008732050?pid=777224

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Yeah, Eotech's best kept secret.

For more on why Max likes them:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B_OhZZFJOXl/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_P7zBxp8ZO/

User Tag List