Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Must...have...more...ammo...

Though Bert is not in law enforcement, he is considered by many to be a SME on the subject of ammunition. Skip to the 2 minute mark if you like.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tVTq94ak_NI

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    On the other hand, plenty of people have been in shootings with 9mm and then decided a higher caliber was necessary. As usual, accuracy counts and stuff does happen. No criticism whatsoever of our brother who prevailed in this incident. If I could carry that much ammunition with reasonable comfort and accessibility, I certainly would. That said, while I'm a 9mm guy, I think a third magazine on the duty belt would be a better option than the larger magazines carried...where?
    I believe he did add a third magazine to his belt.

The two sticks are carried on his vest, according to the article.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I believe he did add a third magazine to his belt.

The two sticks are carried on his vest, according to the article.
    I interpreted "tucked in" his vest as strapping them to concealed SBA. If they're on an exterior carrier (I haven't watched the podcast so you may well know better), that seems much more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    For magazine carriers, I have seen the 3 magazine pouches… and just ordered one. I run my pouch horizontal, in front of the holster… and going to give it a shot. The Safariland one says you can run it both ways. I keep an extra magazine on my vest, but don’t wear it all the time.
    Got it the other day, and tossed them on the belt…

So far, so good. The middle magazine is a little tight, but horizontal carry isn’t an issue. Might let it break in a little more and see if I can get the retention a little better.

Pulling them out isn’t as bad as the old way; Bianchi double magazine pouch, same position/orientation, bullets up instead of out. Seem to be just as easy to index… but I’m sure practice will make it easier.

Position on the belt is a little larger than the double, but not that bad. Zero issue bending over.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Got it the other day, and tossed them on the belt…

So far, so good. The middle magazine is a little tight, but horizontal carry isn’t an issue. Might let it break in a little more and see if I can get the retention a little better.

Pulling them out isn’t as bad as the old way; Bianchi double magazine pouch, same position/orientation, bullets up instead of out. Seem to be just as easy to index… but I’m sure practice will make it easier.

Position on the belt is a little larger than the double, but not that bad. Zero issue bending over.
    I usually run an open top triple Safariland vertically on my belt. Even after a couple years the middle one is still tighter than the outers. But I have it to where the middle isn’t real bad and the outers still have enough to hold them while chasing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    When I started my LE career, there were still the Vietnam-vet era guys carrying S&W wheel guns with a 6+6+6 load out and no one ever thought anything of it.

The universal load out was a mag in the gun and two extra mags. At the time 40 S&W was king (so between 11 and 15 rounds per mag), but a single stack 45 ACP with (8+1)+8+8 was extremely common.

I remember the first guy I saw running Arredondo extensions on his Glock at work back in 2010 or so. I thought he was a complete tool. I look at our newer cops right now and it seems like if you aren't carrying at least a 20 round extended magazine in the gun with at least two or three extra 20+ round extended magazines on your belt or vest you're considered less than adequate. These same cops are also carrying M4's in their cars with a compliment of 30 round mags.

I look back at the officer involved shootings I've been involved with and the ones that have occurred at my own department and typically there is less than a standard capacity magazine's worth of ammo used. LEOKA data is consistent with this as well. Yes, we can always cite some abstract prolonged shootout that is a total outlier, but for the most part there are typically less than ten rounds fired and most often even less than that.

Am I missing something? Is the mondo-mag becoming a universal thing or is this just something local?

I'm not in LE, so I can only comment on what I've observed in my limited interactions with the local LE.
    Around 2017 in my smallish town, at least one officer was running what looked like Arredondo extensions on his belt, and in the gun. But this was notable for being notable.
    Now this year after the only Line of Duty death this town has seen, all of them that I have seen are regularly running at least factory +2s and plate carriers with rifle mags as their default loadout.

I run 3 on my belt in an esstac gap pouch and 2 more on my vest. We’re issued 6 mags so I carry 6 but I also don’t have a AR either. It doesn’t really bother me I’ve gotten into some foot chases and hiked miles with this load out. No extension Glock 47
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

User Tag List