Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: AIWB survey on IDPA's website

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Am I misunderstanding? I've shot from the driver's seat in IDPA matches. As far as allowing AIWB, I don't. However, if you shoot your pee pee, that will disrupt the stage and waste my time. The bit about the unclassified showing up and trying to be cool. Well, don't allow the unclassified to do that. I voted to allow it.

I had an idiot almost put a 45 ACP in my foot when I was scoring keeping when he went to holster his gun. I'd would have preferred him to remove his pee pee.
    Yes on all points.

I personally hate the 3 o’clock holsters canted rearward so when the guy tries jamming his gun in his holster he flags everyone behind him with a loaded gun.

I would rather him flag his pee pee.

I have heard SOs to announce: "Don't stand directly behind the shooter."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Randy, we did draw our guns from a seated position in the car. Now it was a club match and we didn't stage the gun anywhere in the car. The SO made a major point of not sweeping yourself, which could be done with an belt holster on the type IDPA position. Was that against the rules perhaps?

Is there some reason why on a forum of (mostly)grown men we can't say penis?

I feel like IDPA is really over thinking this whole thing and are looking for reasons to not consider AIWB. If Joyce had ever actually been to a small local match and saw what goes on there, it would all be table starts.
    I voted in favor of it, but in all honestly I don't think I would ever shoot anything other than a local from AIWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Is there some reason why on a forum of (mostly)grown men we can't say penis?

I feel like IDPA is really over thinking this whole thing and are looking for reasons to not consider AIWB. If Joyce had ever actually been to a small local match and saw what goes on there, it would all be table starts.
    I voted in favor of it, but in all honestly I don't think I would ever shoot anything other than a local from AIWB.
    I need to make a note and am wondering where my pen is..

Seriously, the penis is the smaller problem.

It’s those major arteries in the leg that is the real issue. I shot competition for 22 years before I actually witnessed someone shoot themselves at a match. Then it happened twice in one year. Both while holstering. Both survived. One had been shooting as long as I. He owned up to it. He made a full recovery as best I could tell.

Then there was another incident where a shooter discharged his Glock on the draw. While I was not there, I knew him and was good friends with a couple of the people that were present at the time, including the MD. The bullet went in and out the pant leg without leaving a scratch. Witnesses saw (and was confirmed later upon examination) the he never touched the trigger. He made such radical trigger modifications that he essentially defeated the internal safeties, and the gun literally went off by itself.

Since we can’t hand pick who can and can’t shoot AIWB if it’s allowed, I’m not sure it’s a good idea to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I need to make a note and am wondering where my pen is..

Seriously, the penis is the smaller problem.

It’s those major arteries in the leg that is the real issue. I shot competition for 22 years before I actually witnessed someone shoot themselves at a match. Then it happened twice in one year. Both while holstering. Both survived. One had been shooting as long as I. He owned up to it. He made a full recovery as best I could tell.

Then there was another incident where a shooter discharged his Glock on the draw. While I was not there, I knew him and was good friends with a couple of the people that were present at the time, including the MD. The bullet went in and out the pant leg without leaving a scratch. Witnesses saw (and was confirmed later upon examination) the he never touched the trigger. He made such radical trigger modifications that he essentially defeated the internal safeties, and the gun literally went off by itself.

Since we can’t hand pick who can and can’t shoot AIWB if it’s allowed, I’m not sure it’s a good idea to be honest.

I don't know what is in the water, but this year specifically I have been witness to more DQs and NDs than I have in the 8 previous years I have been at this. The only reholster related one was an untucked shirt that the shooter did not see and moved too fast for the RO to catch. Thankfully nothing has required medical attention.

My ASSumption has always been that those who AIWB are generally more careful than those who don't and are fully aware of the consequences of screwing it up, compared to Joe "I don't muzzle nothing I don't want to destroy" Blows a hole in his kidney trying to muzzle open his uncle mike's. Going back a bit to John Johnston's AIWB video and some of my own experiments, I think an ND inside of an AIWB holster is less likely to hit something important, caveat being if it hits something it will be more important.
    Right now IDPA has the benefit of USPSA having allowed AIWB for a while now and there are not floods of new non-consensual eunuchs.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post

My ASSumption has always been that those who AIWB are generally more careful than those who don't and are fully aware of the consequences of screwing it up, compared to Joe "I don't muzzle nothing I don't want to destroy" Blows a hole in his kidney trying to muzzle open his uncle mike's.
    Probably true, but one’s impressions might be skewed the wrong way by the countless instagrammers slamming their gucci Glocks into Kydex sporrans at speeds rivaling a GM Open draw.

(I always holster r e l u c t a n t l y.)

Site Supporter
    My ASSumption has always been that those who AIWB are generally more careful than those who don't
    I think (so what) that the issue is handled but not letting non-members, not classified folks and who can't show a reasonably profession shoot AIWB in a match. Now I wouldn't shoot AIWB but I was shooting at the match for years and a member, etc. Folks like HCM may or may not be IDPA members but have easily demonstrated credentials. I've shot around him and wouldn't be worried. Since I've seen the Serpa hole in a guy's leg and the already mentioned near miss of my footsie, there are other things to worry about. How about the guy who was running so fast he fell flat on his face twice!

Some new guy showing up with a shiny gun and cap on backwards, nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I think (so what) that the issue is handled but not letting non-members, not classified folks and who can't show a reasonably profession shoot AIWB in a match. Now I wouldn't shoot AIWB but I was shooting at the match for years and a member, etc. Folks like HCM may or may not be IDPA members but have easily demonstrated credentials. I've shot around him and wouldn't be worried. Since I've seen the Serpa hole in a guy's leg and the already mentioned near miss of my footsie, there are other things to worry about. How about the guy who was running so fast he fell flat on his face twice!

Some new guy showing up with a shiny gun and cap on backwards, nope.
    Two of the three people in my example above were long term shooters. One was B class, the other was at least A if not master at the time. One had been shooting competition for 20 years, the other at least 8. Both would pass your qualification.

Also, how do you regulate that?

Then there is the gun issue. A self garage smith with a P320 and 1.5 trigger running AIWB scares me regardless of the experience level.

User Tag List