Thread: GG&G QD Socket and Picatinny Mount - Benelli Super Nova (How To Run A Flashlight??)

GG&G QD Socket and Picatinny Mount - Benelli Super Nova (How To Run A Flashlight??)

So the issue I am trying to wrap my mind around here is the following...

This mount is meant for right handed shooters, makes sense when you see the sling mount is on the left side. That puts the picatinny mount on the right side and the entire mount assembly attaches to the barrel. That said, I can't figure out for the life of me how you could use this to mount a light which can be activated without reaching your support hand around to do so. I don't know if a tape switch will work mounted to the forend because it moves. Any ideas?

https://www.gggaz.com/benelli-nova-s...ght-mount.html

If you used something like a Streamlight TLR-1 you might be able to activate the tailcap lever switch with your support hand index finger.

OR

The easy-to-use switch comes with two styles of cords to best fit your needs; an 8" straight cord for use with long guns, and a coiled cord for use with pump action shotguns.

https://www.batteryjunction.com/stre...itch-plug.html

They also make one for the TL flashlight series.

ETA: I don't think I'd like to roll with the remote switch, but then again, I deal with the sling mounted on my 870 using a similar GG@G mount.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    So the issue I am trying to wrap my mind around here is the following...

This mount is meant for right handed shooters, makes sense when you see the sling mount is on the left side. That puts the picatinny mount on the right side and the entire mount assembly attaches to the barrel. That said, I can't figure out for the life of me how you could use this to mount a light which can be activated without reaching your support hand around to do so. I don't know if a tape switch will work mounted to the forend because it moves. Any ideas?

https://www.gggaz.com/benelli-nova-s...ght-mount.html
    I can activate a TLR on a mount similar to this, but not a light with a clicky-type tailcap. My left (support) hand just won't reliably do the latter, but to be fair, my joints are not the best.

If you decide to run a tape switch of some sort, be sure you vet the living daylights out of the end result. Whether it is lights, slings, or anything else you hang on it, a pump shotgun will apply Murphy's Law faster than about any other firearm. By the end of my trip around this particular block, I had come to the conclusion that there was no perfect way to put a light on a pump gun, but mounting it on the forend was the "least bad" way. YMMV.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    I was using a Streamlight HLX with this GG&G mount my SuperNova...

https://www.gggaz.com/benelli-nova-s...mbo-mount.html

...but I never really gelled with it.

My first solution was to screw a length of Magpul rail onto the forend to mount the light on one side and the pad on the other.

Later I decided to do away with the pressure pad and mount the light on the left side for thumb activation. So far it works great...no issues with the screws withstanding recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    I was using a Streamlight HLX with this GG&G mount my SuperNova...

https://www.gggaz.com/benelli-nova-s...mbo-mount.html

...but I never really gelled with it.

My first solution was to screw a length of Magpul rail onto the forend to mount the light on one side and the pad on the other.

Later I decided to do away with the pressure pad and mount the light on the left side for thumb activation. So far it works great...no issues with the screws withstanding recoil.

I saw that GG&G mount but I immediately ruled it out because the placement put the light to far low and left of the bore for proper thumb placement to activate.

How exactly did you manage to install that picatinny rail on the forend? That part is cheap enough to try that with but I'm concerned about durability with hard use.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    How exactly did you manage to install that picatinny rail on the forend? That part is cheap enough to try that with but I'm concerned about durability with hard use.
    I used some self-tapping screws I had on hand in the garage...long enough to get good purchase into the plastic, but not protrude far enough to contact the barrel/mag tube. I've done a few range trips with it...it's my home and not work gun, so I haven't kicked any doors with it yet.

I torqued on it pretty good with my hands and knocked it around on the work bench after mounting without any problems, but I'm not sure how'd it'd survive taking doorframe strikes, repeated drops onto a hard surface, etc. If I were jumping out of helicopters with this shotgun, this wouldn't be my light/mount solution.

User Tag List