Thread: Federal Syntech - Effectiveness For Anti-Personnel

Federal Syntech - Effectiveness For Anti-Personnel

So I've been toying at stocking some of this for range mostly but wonder about how well a Syntech FMJ bullet would do if used in self defense similar to a WROL scenario if that were all you had on hand. I like the idea of reduced fouling at the range but I know when I stock standard FMJ it's going to work well enough for defense because of the heavy jacket made of copper. Well, at least with something like American Eagle or Speer Lawman.... not so much Blazer and similar stuff.

It's a hard cast lead bullet coated in polymer coating. My guess, as I don't know for sure, is that the alloy is similar to the hard ball alloy popular in the cast bullet industry. It is brittle and not suited for defensive purposes as it explodes and shatters on contact with hard surfaces (steel, bone, etc..).

Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    It's a hard cast lead bullet coated in polymer coating. My guess, as I don't know for sure, is that the alloy is similar to the hard ball alloy popular in the cast bullet industry. It is brittle and not suited for defensive purposes as it explodes and shatters on contact with hard surfaces (steel, bone, etc..).
    That is my suspicion also, how do you know it's hard cast? Wouldn't hard case resist exploding and hold together, are you thinking of standard lead bullets? Also, they claim less splash back because of the non metal jacket and not so much because of the core.

I’ve shot tens of thousands of Syntech at steel and it does not fragment. It just pancakes.

There are several types of Syntech - the USPSA red load, the "train" purple load and a "defense" blue load. The defense version is a hollow point that supposedly fragments into pieces, not sure that is what we need.

Site Supporter
    1. Outside my lane.

2. Probably no worse that any other FMJ which has been an "anti-personnel" round forever with some modicum of success when attention is paid to shot placement.

3. If WROL is in play, it will matter not what round beyond having one that reliably functions the weapon it is being expelled from.

4. For purposes of bulk acquisition, I would look to what this were going for in Jan 2020. My loadstart would likely be +35% i.e. 124 brass practice 9mm was 220.00 @1000 delivered all day long.

So if and when that hit say 300-320 max shipped all day long, I would go in.

5. YMMV/FWIW- share with us what you ultimately decide and why.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    There are several types of Syntech - the USPSA red load, the "train" purple load and a "defense" blue load. The defense version is a hollow point that supposedly fragments into pieces, not sure that is what we need.

I'm talking about either the red or purple loads, not the Defense... though I did stumble on that one recently and it's 'interesting'. I'm sure it would work fine but not my cup of tea personally.

I was mainly looking at the 205 Grain Action Red & 180 Grain Train to match ballistics with my 180 HST loads at the range for knowing my holds and such.

I expect either of those loads to work fine for defense assuming the hold together on steel, though perhaps not ideal by any stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    That is my suspicion also, how do you know it's hard cast? Wouldn't hard case resist exploding and hold together, are you thinking of standard lead bullets? Also, they claim less splash back because of the non metal jacket and not so much because of the core.
    The hard ball alloy of 2/6/92 (tin, antimony, lead) is designed to have flow characteristics that facilitate good bullet mould fill. I am not sure that they use a cast bulet. It may be swaged which will be softer/more malleable similar to Lyman #2 (5/5/95). The hard ball 2/6/92 is brittle. Again I don't know for sure. I am referencing my experience as a former commercial caster of bullets and the alloy(s) we used and researched.

User Tag List