Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: training while sick?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm happy to be having a debate. Please re-read my post below.
    I didn't see your whole post when I responded, only a small portion that was quoted to me. I agree with you in that blue guns would be an appropriate substitute.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Let’s discuss and debate this.

Suspend your disbelief and listen to the following:

1. Testing when impaired if it can be done in a SAFE way can let you know what you CANNOT do under physical duress as compared to feeling great and going to the range after breakfast. It lets you know how you should modify your best case expectations for the impairment.

2. This kind of testing is / was routinely done in Delta forces from what I have read in order to test that very premise. Put the operator under extreme physical and psychological stress and fatigue and see what they can and cannot do.

There’s a reason for that kind of training and if it can be done safely it might be a really good idea.
    1. I agree that some forms of impairment can be useful for exposing weaknesses you would not know existed if not for putting yourself in those situations. I very much enjoy adding physical and mental stress in training.

2. As far as the delta force training you are referring to I have never heard of them inducing flue like illness and training during that time so I can not speak to that. I am aware they will do things like wake them up unexpectedly and quickly put them through courses of fire to see how they perform in that capacity. Or even keeping people up for extended periods of time and putting them through courses of fire. I assume these are used more as tests and less as training. I also believe using relatively uncommon SF training/ testing techniques is not a reasonable barometer to judge if what you are doing is a good idea. I am aware there are courses of fire that are done by some SF groups that involve live people down range as no shoots. Obviously a bad idea unless maby you are vetting a group of people to go kill osama.

I will add that the question was if performing dry fire in his flue like foggy state was a good idea.
    The purpose of dryfire is to develop proper form and build the neurological pathways to perform what you want to do with less conscious thought. The way this is achieved is through focused deliberate practice. This means being present and focused with what you are doing and also performing your intended movements perfectly every time. If you are dryfireing and not mentally all there you are not going to be focused enough for any of your reps to matter all that much, also you will not be performing perfect repetitions therefore, reinforcing improper movements.
    Now the question of safty needs to be addressed. I dont doubt he would be diligent in his proper dryfire safety precautions....but what if he slips up? Are there other people in his house? Do his children sleep in the next room? Does he have neighbors? We get very familiar with handling our firearms, I am guilty of being too comfortable at times myself. Sometimes its important to step back and remember how large of a responsibility it is every time we come into contact with our guns.

So all that being said... my answer to the original question is still a firm no, not a good idea.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

@snow white

I appreciate the calm, non inflammatory discussion.

I think that we all probably have different ideas on what is or isn’t a good idea and what kinds of things we do with our training.

And that’s okay! We have different opinions and that’s okay too.

I have a broader description and role for dry fire.

Sometimes it’s mainly for forearm strength and physical coordination with movement. Memorization of stages, foot placement on entry, etc. I’ll say that being able to be focused 100% is more effective but being focused 50% is better than sitting on your butt doing nothing IMO (as long as you’re not ingraining bad technique).

Sometimes I’ll walk around with my arm dangling down just doing left hand revolver trigger presses to improve strength and isolation. Sometimes I’ll do memory drills with empty hands. Dry fire can be a lot of things to different people and not necessarily 25 yard B8 groups.

I spend a lot of time with my young daughter and she’s almost always with me when I dry fire.

I’m almost never able to focus 100% on my dryfire but if I waited for that I’d never improve.

@snow white

I appreciate the calm, non inflammatory discussion.
    Yeah man, my response with the original quote was a bit spicy and I didn't mean to come off as disrespectful. But in my defense he did use the zombie apocalypse argument and it gave me forest Whitaker eye.

I'm usualy good for calm discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Yeah man, my response with the original quote was a bit spicy and I didn't mean to come off as disrespectful. But in my defense he did use the zombie apocalypse argument and it gave me forest Whitaker eye.

I'm usualy good for calm discourse.

Of course Zombie apocalypse was a joke.

Ok, how about reading a book, watching Magnum Force with Clint Eastwood and eating ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post
    Of course Zombie apocalypse was a joke.

Ok, how about reading a book, watching Magnum Force with Clint Eastwood and eating ice cream.
    Yeah man I was a bit spicy, I apologize. I still love you

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Don’t something like 2/3 of plane crashes involve cold medicine?

Seriously, I wouldn’t dry practice until I was sure I was mentally sharp.
    I believe the statistic is about 85 percent of aircraft crashes are due to pilot error, rather than mechanical causes.

Once I became really sick while at FlightSafety, and purposefully did a several hour simulator session, with the blessing of my sim instructor, to see how my performance would be while sick.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Oh for God sakes. Only you know you, and only you know what and how you feel and react to being sick. I personally never cared about being sick. To me it was never a big deal even when I had a 103 temp a few years ago. Yes it sucked but so what life goes on and things still need to get done. If I can still clean after myself, walk my dog 3 time a day, feed him, get my own meds, make sure my employees know what to do, when and where...etc... then I can work an unloaded gun. Am I getting the most out of the practice? Probably not but I'm getting more out of it vs not doing it at all?

If you cant. If you have fog or whatever, then don't! Simple as that.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    I train when injured, but not when ill.

Illness affects mental acuity, while injuries (at least the mild ones I've experienced) do not.
    THIS, above.

When the trigger finger of my dominant right hand sustained a crushing comminuted fracture at the proximal joint 40-some years ago, you damn BETCHA I trained like hell southpaw only. The injury occurred on a weekend prior to my arrival at what we'd call a "bucket list" class today, Chapman Academy Advanced Pistol in Columbia, MO. I shot the whole thing left hand only from the immediately following Monday morning on, including reloads, which taught me a HELLUVA lot, much of which I now pass on to my students.

But I did not take pain-killers, except for after-class Coors (original Coors, which at that time could only be had in a few states, including Missouri).

This coming week, I'll be undergoing a colonoscopy (required for us geezers). There will be NO handling of firearms until I am well past that "twilight anesthesia" they talk about.

ANYTHING medical that can have a negative effect on judgment is a big red flag against handling functional firearms.

Let’s discuss and debate this.

Suspend your disbelief and listen to the following:

1. Testing when impaired if it can be done in a SAFE way can let you know what you CANNOT do under physical duress as compared to feeling great and going to the range after breakfast. It lets you know how you should modify your best case expectations for the impairment.

2. This kind of testing is / was routinely done in Delta forces from what I have read in order to test that very premise. Put the operator under extreme physical and psychological stress and fatigue and see what they can and cannot do.

There’s a reason for that kind of training and if it can be done safely it might be a really good idea.
    I think most of us would find no fault with your statement #1.

Your second statement, while true for a lot of military training, doesn't take into account that in those circumstances there are others present whose duty should have been to ensure acceptable training safety.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List