Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: training while sick?

Site Supporter
    I acknowledge I am extrapolating a bit with 1-3:

1. Multiple studies have found that driving while sick with a severe cold and/or flu is like driving drunk by a long shot, increased reaction times, poor decision making etc.

2. Would you dry fire or otherwise manipulate firearms drunk?

3. Why then would you contemplate dry firing/manipulating weapons in the midst of COVID, febrile, achy etc.

4. IMHO, I would note that the OP was already about 92% sure of the answer and confirmed with his question/response and subsequent posting. Good on him BTW.

5. Odds v Stakes.

6. But hey, if you think you are simply not like everybody because you are "special", dry fire to your heart's content while you have a fever, are achy and are aware of just how unfocused you really are.

I acknowledge I am a bit salty today as I am preparing for a trial.

Based on the better part 30 years doing this firearms stuff, sometime there really is a "THE" answer and you really are not the exception to the applicable rule.

It is sucking fupid to dry fire and manipulate firearms when you are sick.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    It is sucking fupid to dry fire and manipulate firearms when you are sick.
    I think we all have to make our own decisions as adults.

I have various dry fire setups that I don’t consider on the same scale of danger as loaded firearms and live fire.

I have dedicated dry fire guns with chamber blocks, firing pins removed, cable locks through the action, etc.

Those guns never see live ammo and live at home.

They’re color coded and dry fire specific. YMMV.

training while sick?

I welcome the opportunity to train in various ways when I’m feeling like crap. After all, we don’t get to decide when a threat will present itself.

As @JCN wrote it is possible to develop safety procedures that are robust to not being at ones absolute 100%.

Some easy ones include blueguns or training knives.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post
    When you don’t feel like it don’t. What if you felt even sicker than you do now, and you were thrust into the zombie apocalypse?

Then this training would serve you very well indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I welcome the opportunity to train in various ways when I’m feeling like crap. After all, we don’t get to decide when a threat will present itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    That is some of the worst reasoning for bad advice I have ever read on this forum.
    Note that that @365X and @Clusterfrack basically said the same thing.

Different opinions can be valid. Please be respectful rather than dumping on the new guy like this Forum likes to do.

Not that anyone should value my opinion any more than the next guy’s, but I’d say to #1 train according to your strength as it is in the moment, and #2 double and triple down on safety.

An example would be the idea of sirt or blue gun work, per CF, above. I also like the podcast learning idea.

If I’m well enough to post on social media, I’m well enough to dry fire. So long as I am sure to apply #2, above, to both.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    If I’m well enough to post on social media,
    "well"?

Like when the Lebowski says "employed?"

I had Covid pneumonia and was hospitalized twice in the last 8 weeks.

When I first started getting sick, I put the guns up….particularly my duty rig/bedside gun as I was not clear headed.

I trained the entire time but it was breathing exercises, not laying in the hospital bed, body weight stuff, and I would assume a bullseye, one handed stance and hold up things just to keep all those muscles used to it. Covid decimated my muscles so hydrating and nutrition took a big part of recovery.

Once I was at home convalescing after the second stay, I did start dry firing and broke the boredom that way…..oxygen concentrator humming along in the other room and my nasal cannula wrapped around my face.

I’m happy to report that at about the six week mark, once I was off O2, my range performance really didn’t suffer a bit. Only difference was I had to watch my sats walking down to swap B8 targets. I did some dry draw work too while healing and ran a sub second hit at 7y from concealment in live fire.

Heal up quick and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Note that that @365X and @Clusterfrack basically said the same thing.

Different opinions can be valid. Please be respectful rather than dumping on the new guy like this Forum likes to do.
    It has nothing to do with being new, it has to do with bad advice. Now that I see the other quote I will also say that is bad advice as well. If somehow you believe that handling firearms when you are not mentally clear is the responsible or correct thing and also that it will somehow build some kind of proficientcy when you may find yourself in that state again is just not correct. Do you also believe in getting drunk before going to the range, that way you can be "ready and practiced" if you need to use your gun after a few beers? I'm sorry I did not rebuke his statement in a softer way. Its nothing personal against him, only the statement he made.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

It has nothing to do with being new, it has to do with bad advice. Now that I see the other quote I will also say that is bad advice as well. If somehow you believe that handling firearms when you are not mentally clear is the responsible or correct thing and also that it will somehow build some kind of proficientcy when you may find yourself in that state again is just not correct. Do you also believe in getting drunk before going to the range, that way you can be "ready and practiced" if you need to use your gun after a few beers? I'm sorry I did not rebuke his statement in a softer way. Its nothing personal against him, only the statement he made.
    I'm happy to be having a debate. Please re-read my post below.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

As @JCN wrote it is possible to develop safety procedures that are robust to not being at ones absolute 100%.

Some easy ones include blueguns or training knives.

Let’s discuss and debate this.

Suspend your disbelief and listen to the following:

1. Testing when impaired if it can be done in a SAFE way can let you know what you CANNOT do under physical duress as compared to feeling great and going to the range after breakfast. It lets you know how you should modify your best case expectations for the impairment.

2. This kind of testing is / was routinely done in Delta forces from what I have read in order to test that very premise. Put the operator under extreme physical and psychological stress and fatigue and see what they can and cannot do.

There’s a reason for that kind of training and if it can be done safely it might be a really good idea.

User Tag List