Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: training while sick?

training while sick?

I am on my 6th day of fighting covid, my head is not clear, I have had a fever for the entire time. I am bored silly only so many westerns to watch. was thinking of doing some dry fire practice, but with my head not being clear I am not sure it would be productive. I know I would be safe, just not sure it would be a good thing to do or not.
    Do any of you train when under the weather?

If you are not focused on the dryfire in the moment I would say it is doing next to nothing for you as far as practical skill building or maintenance. I'd say if you wanted to do somthing in the realm of firearms when feeling like you are youd be better off working on mindset kinda stuff. Listen to a good P&S podcast (one of the recent ones with haggard, bolke, and Cecil was awesome I believe it was titled "defining your mission") or read a book and really work on internalizing the information.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

I do not handle firearms while being ill. They are locked in the safe.

If I am ill enough to warrant staying home, I am not well enough to handle firearms as my faculties are compromised. I tend to lose my train of thought (fever brain) when under the weather, so I would not remember if I had cleared or not cleared a firearm. When I am ill, it is not unusual for me to just drift off in the middle of anything from a conversation to eating. I lack awareness of my surroundings. No need for firearms with that mental state.

Don’t something like 2/3 of plane crashes involve cold medicine?

Seriously, I wouldn’t dry practice until I was sure I was mentally sharp.

Thanks for the reply's, i will focus my energy else where.

I don’t know. As long as the gun isn’t loaded and you feel like doing it, have it IMO.

When you don’t feel like it don’t. What if you felt even sicker than you do now, and you were thrust into the zombie apocalypse?

Then this training would serve you very well indeed.

Site Supporter
    If you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I have different types of dry practice.

Some is more cerebral. Some is more just hand and trigger strength and speed exercise and is more mindless.

I wouldn’t have a problem doing weak hand revolver trigger finger strength training when feeling I’ll or being mentally less than sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post
    I don’t know. As long as the gun isn’t loaded and you feel like doing it, have it IMO.

When you don’t feel like it don’t. What if you felt even sicker than you do now, and you were thrust into the zombie apocalypse?

Then this training would serve you very well indeed.
    That is some of the worst reasoning for bad advice I have ever read on this forum.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

I train when injured, but not when ill.

Illness affects mental acuity, while injuries (at least the mild ones I've experienced) do not.

User Tag List