Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New-to-me S&W 29-2 .44RemMag with a coil spring hammer spring?

I had the conversion done to my 625 in the 80s and we used a J frame spring. Contact Wolf and you can probably get a stiffer spring from a J frame to work in your Model 29.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    I had the conversion done to my 625 in the 80s and we used a J frame spring. Contact Wolf and you can probably get a stiffer spring from a J frame to work in your Model 29.
    What’s your experience with the conversion? What were/are the pros and cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you do that? It seems like going in the wrong direction. The leaf spring is one of the things that makes the action in a Smith better than a Ruger. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    Why would you do that? It seems like going in the wrong direction. The leaf spring is one of the things that makes the action in a Smith better than a Ruger. What am I missing?
    I plan on removing it, just trying to find out exactly what is all being used so I know for if I ever put it back in. I haven't fired the gun yet, although the Double Action is only about 10 pounds, but has a shorter travel than a usual S&W action; and I prefer a longer DA like the OEM S&W.

I removed the coil spring type, and put in a Wilson Combat reduced power mainspring, which produced a great approximately 8 pound DA trigger, and was incredibly smooth (probably due to the metalife coating). I had to put the coil mainspring system back in, as the gun has a K frame Pachmayr grip on it, and the screw for the grip is occluded by the leaf mainspring. I plan on trying a Hogue rubber grip (sigh...) which would eliminate the grip screw issue due to the stirrup on the bottom of the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    I think it might be a J Frame spring now that you mention it. I think I have a few sitting around in my stuff somewhere, and it wouldn't hurt to try it.

The spring in it now is plenty strong. I haven't live-fired it yet, although it has a pretty heavy hammer strike in DA, so I think it's powerful enough.

Thank You for the J Frame spring mention!

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    What’s your experience with the conversion? What were/are the pros and cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really like the conversion and wish I still had that gun. It was aa S&W 625 that I shot for ICORE, USPSA and Steel Challenge Matches. Fasted gun I could ever reload.

Trigger pull was very smooth with no stack up.

Had to pay bills aat the time so the gun had to go. It's current owner is still very happy with it.

User Tag List