Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass HST .40

Brass HST .40

I have ~500 rounds factory brass-cased 180gr .40 HST #P40HST1B . Would these be worth selling as SD or carry practice rounds or should I just shoot them off on my journey to 9mm only?

Name:  BrassHST40.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  100.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    Would these be worth selling as SD or carry practice rounds or should I just shoot them off on my journey to 9mm only?
    Yes.

Any of the above, or if you are still have a .40 gun that you are planning on selling, this might make it sell quicker. Yet another option is just a backup caliber.

Hard to predict what the future holds for ammo price and availability. If you truly have no need for that caliber and you are contemplating selling the firearm and ammo, I would say sell. You can use that money for a new 9mm firearm and ammo. Or you can keep the .40 firearm/ammo just for options. I bought a Glock 20 10mm about a year ago just so I could have an additional caliber available. It’s my first 10mm and only 10. It just worked out this way, but I have several calibers that feed both handguns and long guns. With inflation, supply chain issues, and raw materials, the crystal ball is more cloudy than ever!

Site Supporter
    I have a few boxes of this, headstamped FC 14 and FC 16. My nightstand gun is an M&P40 1.0, and this ammo is what it's loaded with. IIRC, I got it for like $15/box back when everyone was getting out of .40 S&W. I don't think there's any difference between it and the nickel-cased stuff.

If you are completely dumping the caliber, I would sell them as opposed to punching paper. If you are holding onto one firearm in .40, I think they are worth keeping. Regardless of what the internet says, .40 didn't just stop working.

You may be able to swap for 9mm HST if the right person comes along.
    Taking a break from social media.

How much would you sell for?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    If you are completely dumping the caliber, I would sell them as opposed to punching paper. If you are holding onto one firearm in .40, I think they are worth keeping. Regardless of what the internet says, .40 didn't just stop working.
    This. There really isn't a better service load in .40. You should be able to get at least 2, maybe 3 for 1, turning them into 9mm FMJ practice rounds. But if you're keeping a .40 launcher, it would be silly to not keep these around to feed it.

I'm down to just a USP FS in .40, but I'm not dumping any of the ammo except into targets.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    1. If you have already sold all your .40 cal guns, sell the ammo as the peak price has probably passed for this wave. Retail is somewhere between .70-1.00 per round. I am not sure that there would be much of a premium in the secondary market for plated v. brass etc.

2. If you have not sold your .40 cal guns, I would keep it unless you could trade it or flip it into 9mm ammo:

A. in the load(s) that made sense to you and:

B. at a "price" that make sense to you.

3. Otherwise, I would just put that on the shelf for the next rainy day, particularly if I had bought it right (sunk cost) or it was issued (no cost).
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I would question the concept of going to 9mm only. .40 is a more effective round, if only slightly, and having some diversity of rounds you can use is a good idea.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I shoot almost only 9mm Glocks, but holding onto a glock 35 for a reason. Will probably eventually mill for optics even

User Tag List