Thread: Competition Pistol Training

Competition Pistol Training

Has anyone trained with, or have any experience with the following?

https://www.andersonshooting.com/

If so, any feedback/opinions/thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post

Never trained with him, but his books are good.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post

Scott Jedlinski (The Modern Samurai Project) speaks very highly of him. His books are supposed to be superb.

I have trained with Steve Anderson twice and read all of his books. He's a super nice guy, and does a good job with entry level to B class USPSA shooters. There are other trainers who do a better job for A class and above.

I find his emphasis on "calling your shots" to be limited and limiting. His ideas about speed mode, accuracy mode, and match mode are valuable. But, I think he's wrong about not being able to train speed and accuracy at the same time. And there is more to USPSA than speed and accuracy, so thinking about all of your training this way is limiting.

His 3rd book is a good intro to Brian Enos' and Lanny Basham's books for people who don't want to invest the time in reading the originals. He desperately needs a professional editor. The books are hard to read and disorganized.

I recommend Ben Stoeger's books much more highly.

His podcast is worth listening to occasionally, but can be repetitive.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

If you’re looking at his online program I’ll just say that there’s much better value out there for the price.

I completely agree with @Clusterfrack

I must have been reading different Anderson books than others but I bought and shelved them feeling like they were too simplistic and didn’t help me learn how to learn.

Stoeger gives really good context that helped me a lot.

I really like the Max Michel online program via Patreon for dot shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have trained with Steve Anderson twice and read all of his books. He's a super nice guy, and does a good job with entry level to B class USPSA shooters. There are other trainers who do a better job for A class and above.

I find his emphasis on "calling your shots" to be limited and limiting. His ideas about speed mode, accuracy mode, and match mode are valuable. But, I think he's wrong about not being able to train speed and accuracy at the same time. And there is more to USPSA than speed and accuracy, so thinking about all of your training this way is limiting.

His 3rd book is a good intro to Brian Enos' and Lanny Basham's books for people who don't want to invest the time in reading the originals. He desperately needs a professional editor. The books are hard to read and disorganized.

I recommend Ben Stoeger's books much more highly.

His podcast is worth listening to occasionally, but can be repetitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I completely agree with @Clusterfrack

I must have been reading different Anderson books than others but I bought and shelved them feeling like they were too simplistic and didn’t help me learn how to learn.

Stoeger gives really good context that helped me a lot.

I really like the Max Michel online program via Patreon for dot shooters.

I concur.

I took a class w Steve in late 2019. His mental game information / strategy is great when you are learning the sport or perhaps you have forgotten it and need a reminder.

You get the best bang for the buck w Steve if you aren’t very good. The improvement in some of the C and D shooters was impressive. He wasted a lot of time with a pair of awful D shooters with poor attitudes. I say wasted as I saw them at a section match last year- one was last, the other almost last. My fellow students and I agreed the best 4 hours of class was after they left early. That class was the impetus for him to limit classes to 10 instead of 12, or maybe 8 instead of 10. He’s a one man show.

I enjoyed the class but not sure there is anything you don’t get from his books (which are worth it I think) and podcast. He is repetitive, he knows it and he jokes about the church saying the same thing every Sunday for 2000 years…

Stoeger is an amazing analyst and coach if you can get past his style. His books are good, Practical Shooting is probably the best training guide there is IMO.

Thanks to all who have provided feedback, and I welcome more if you have it.

He is going tp be teaching a class in February at my home range and the host asked me if I or any of my co-shooters might be interested. I had never heard of him, so your info helps.

Site Supporter
    1911Nut — Did you go to the class, and if so, how was it?

No, I did not attend. Nor have I spoken with those who did. Was in the process of selling a home about the time the class was scheduled.

User Tag List