Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Can NAVY SEALS Convince GREEN BERET to Switch to Sig Sauer -- Parts 1 and 2

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Every time one of these former .mil instructors trying to build a monetized internet following is running around the range with a battle belt, DOH or thigh holsters, dump pouches, etc. etc. I have a hard time listening to the rest of what they are saying because I know they simply don't get my personal context at all. If they did, they would not be running with all that stuff and every draw would be from concealment, clearing a garment.

I even have a hard time believing most of them run around all day long, 16+ hours a day with the guns they are advocating for strapped in place unless they are uniformed duty LE.

Probably the reason that people like Tom Given, Mas, Claude Werner and others have an outsized influence on my thinking. Even when it comes to universal subjects like grip, sights, and trigger control.
    In fairness, Mike Glover and others from the .MIL who have worked in low visibility or actual covert ops in denied areas - Yes they did in fact actually carry Glock 19 and 17 size pistols 16+ hours a day in true concealment. They were also operating in high threat environments and carrying those guns and mad gear etc. because it was what they were doing for a living.

Worth noting that I was critical of Mr. Glover earlier in the thread but he is certainly no stranger to concealed carry. As I recall his earlier videos regarding transitioning from Glocks to the SIG 320 Involved the 15 round Glock 19 sized compacts.

Regarding battle belts. One of the advantages to a battle built in the tactical or LE Context is you can throw it on over rain gear, cold-weather gear, etc. in the LE world I’ve worked with some agents who literally throw a battle belt and body armor on over a shirt and tie Because after the target location is secure they have to transition to conducting an interview in a suit.

While that is something of a niche use, the idea of one of the original Brokos style belt with the padded rubberized interior as a grab and go solution for the house is not too far fetched. You can grab one thing quickly clip it around your waist and have a gun extra mags etc and most important in that context a flashlight that is not attached to the gun all in one package. It’s very fast to both doff and Don. It will work over a bathrobe, pajamas, or even if you are naked. For the latter I would definitely stick to the original padded rubberized style versus the new cool guy belts with the Velcro inside. Could get a little scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In fairness, Mike Glover and others from the .MIL who have worked in low visibility or actual covert ops in denied areas - Yes they did in fact actually carry Glock 19 and 17 size pistols 16+ hours a day in true concealment. They were also operating in high threat environments and carrying those guns and mad gear etc. because it was what they were doing for a living.

Worth noting that I was critical of Mr. Glover earlier in the thread but he is certainly no stranger to concealed carry. As I recall his earlier videos regarding transitioning from Glocks to the SIG 320 Involved the 15 round Glock 19 sized compacts.

Regarding battle belts. One of the advantages to a battle built in the tactical or LE Context is you can throw it on over rain gear, cold-weather gear, etc. in the LE world I’ve worked with some agents who literally throw a battle belt and body armor on over a shirt and tie Because after the target location is secure they have to transition to conducting an interview in a suit.

While that is something of a niche use, the idea of one of the original Brokos style belt with the padded rubberized interior as a grab and go solution for the house is not too far fetched. You can grab one thing quickly clip it around your waist and have a gun extra mags etc and most important in that context a flashlight that is not attached to the gun all in one package. It’s very fast to both doff and Don. It will work over a bathrobe, pajamas, or even if you are naked. For the latter I would definitely stick to the original padded rubberized style versus the new cool guy belts with the Velcro inside. Could get a little scratchy.
    Depending on their career, some of these guys do have a lot of experience in low vis. Probably more than many expect.

My Crye MRB inner/Ronin outer belt can be thrown on in a rush pretty easily. I wouldn’t be able to thread the inner belt through loops obviously but it’ll stay in place since it’s snug and work pretty well. Holster, pistol and rifle mags, ouch for a handheld light, and TQ plus IFAK. Legit everything you could want besides armor and ear/eye pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xtC3dCAlX-M&t=54s

Video definitely has a paid advertisement feel to it, especially when this video was released 3 weeks ago.

Rally cars and beard oils are expensive these days. I watch the videos same as everyone but careful about what I consider serious.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

+1 Mike Pannone and Kyle Defoor have put out tons of concealed carry material with EDC context. FWIW Kevin B has said that Pannone's concealed carry class he took may be the single best class he has ever taken and that's a lot of classes from a lot of big names.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by hallnh727 View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xtC3dCAlX-M&t=54s

Video definitely has a paid advertisement feel to it, especially when this video was released 3 weeks ago.
    I have a ton of respect for DJ after watching his interview with Shawn Ryan. But I'm not sure why he pixelated his face in this video - there's plenty of other video out there with his face clearly visible. Other than that, his EDC seems remarkably "normal", with the possible exception of the non-metallic blade for NPE.

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17 View Post
    Here you can learn 3 times as much in 1/3rd the time.

Thanks for this video. I watched it, and several other's in the same series from EL. Ernest is such an articulate, knowledgeable, instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Every time one of these former .mil instructors trying to build a monetized internet following is running around the range with a battle belt, DOH or thigh holsters, dump pouches, etc. etc. I have a hard time listening to the rest of what they are saying because I know they simply don't get my personal context at all. If they did, they would not be running with all that stuff and every draw would be from concealment, clearing a garment.
    Like you, I also have a tough time relating when the dudes are wearing battle belts and similar kit. That gear probably relates to their .gov and .mil clients, but it just doesn't relate to my life. That said, in each of my classes with Noner, KD4, and Bill Rapier, all of them worked from concealment and everyday gear. Bill Rapier addresses this during his interview with Mike Ritland, when he specifically describes the majority of his students as the kind of people who are not wearing fatigues and armor, about the 2 hr, 36min mark.

ETA: I understand that battle belts and similar setups are practical for some things, including some training situations. I just don't see them as relevant to the way I carry a handgun 99.9999% of the time.
    Last edited by Mark D; 12-20-2021 at 03:01 PM.

And, @Mr_White shows that you don't have to be a deathstalker to be an excellent defensive handgun instructor.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    And, @Mr_White shows that you don't have to be a deathstalker to be an excellent defensive handgun instructor.
    I have been to dozens AND dozens of classes. Medical, Rifle, Pistol, CQB, FOF, Knife, etc, with LE and former LE, SOF guys, regular guys, you name it. Gabe White puts out one of the best run classes in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    +1 Mike Pannone and Kyle Defoor have put out tons of concealed carry material with EDC context. FWIW Kevin B has said that Pannone's concealed carry class he took may be the single best class he has ever taken and that's a lot of classes from a lot of big names.
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXrmPke...dium=copy_link
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I have not taken his concealed carry class but I have taken his Advanced handgun class and his carbine class. I thought Advanced Handgun was good, but I thought the Carbine class was superior to most.

User Tag List