Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JCN likes compensators

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Speaking from my ass, I'd say yes, comps are probably safer from retention than a cylinder gap, simply because there is less pressure involved and less chance of launching particles but a comp may launch the pressure more directly towards the face than a cylinder gap would. You can usually feel the pressure wave from the Comp hit your face while I don't believe that happens with most cylinder gaps (but I'm not entirely certain about that).
    I am always reminded of the cylinder gap test Mythbusters did.

Jerry did it with a hot dog too.

Relevant screen cap:

Name:  B51F0AEC-4E3A-458E-9D2B-3F63B9DF5691.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  30.1 KB

@Clusterfrack

Like @Norville said, might need modification with revolvers and comps.

Dear @Norville, How did Mr. Ellfritz recommend modifying the thumb flagged pec grip? I think it seems obvious but, I'm often wrong... Thanks for any enlightenment.
    My apologies to weasels.

Site Supporter
    I feel like the ultimate would be a Laugo Alien type gun for the red dot mount with a chamber cut at the end of the barrel like a comp.

Seeing the other things you have done how have you not cut a port into a revolver barrel or a chunk port into a barrel and slide yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Dear @Norville, How did Mr. Ellfritz recommend modifying the thumb flagged pec grip? I think it seems obvious but, I'm often wrong... Thanks for any enlightenment.
    He went through it in typical Greg logical fashion, but basically it’s a “knuckles to rib cage” index that pushes the revolver forward. Some people used the wrist against the ribs as well. Depends on your build and the size of the gun. Keep it vertical.

We had some scorched shirts but no other issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Since starting in Open, I’ve been experimenting with compensators.

Drilling side holes and changing comps.

And playing around with versions of my carry gun:

Attachment 81222

I’m starting to get a better understanding of how different comp weights and patterns contribute to recoil feel and sight tracking.

Attachment 81223

Even with weak 9mm it does make a noticeable difference. It’s subtle but it’s there.

I have a ported barrel P365SAS as well.

One thing that I do notice is that in general I do prefer frame mounted or semi-captured comps.

So going to revisit one of the previous comps I bought.

The Dark Hour standoff comp.

I initially bought it for a 357 Sig G32… but it mounts via the polymer rail and with 357 Sig rapid fire it launched itself off the front after galling the rail notch.

I think it’ll work better with 9mm and won’t have any porpoising like tilting barrel uncaptured comps.

Thinking about this kind of setup for nightstand.

Attachment 81224

Would probably put the factory MR920 slide back on with the new RMSx and co-witnessed night sights. @GJM @YVK

Best as I can describe it, a good comp makes ammo feel like one power level down.

9 major feels like hot 9mm, hot 9mm feels like gamer ammo and gamer ammo in a micro gun feels like gamer ammo in a larger gun.

Recently I shot my Alien back to back with a comp P365 and the P365 was softer and easier to shoot if you believe that!
    If memory serves me, you were running a True Precision barrel with a Griffin micro comp...
    Any input on that set up would be much appreciated!
    Would seem, a little additional velocity, a little improvement in accuracy and decrease in recoil with no worry about different recoil springs, reliability etc would be worth consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    If memory serves me, you were running a True Precision barrel with a Griffin micro comp...
    Any input on that set up would be much appreciated!
    Would seem, a little additional velocity, a little improvement in accuracy and decrease in recoil with no worry about different recoil springs, reliability etc would be worth consideration.
    I didn’t spend much time with that combination but I liked the True barrel. It’s about the same length as the XL barrel and the accuracy is better. I was able to do the “no fail” drill with that barrel.

Name:  BD1E3779-F95F-4DB6-BDA8-1957B75406C6.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  04BB074A-67A9-42F7-B1ED-A21F3183B108.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  32.1 KB

The Griffen comp is pretty subtle. It’s probably more of a mild muzzle brake rather than a comp per se as it’s not directional. I think if it like a replacement for a threaded end cap that might do a little something but it’s not on the same scale as something with up ports. It’s not bad and I think it does a little something. But it’s pretty subtle. I like the barrel though.

I re-learned close quarters shooting from Larry Mudgett in the summer of 2020, and ran all the drills with a comped (PMM compensator) VP9 and NATO spec 124 ball, as well as my +P HST 124 and 147 carry loads. Zero issues. Some comps are less directional, but the PMM puts everything out the top, and that isn’t pointed anywhere toward you when you’re doing it right, even from awkward positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I re-learned close quarters shooting from Larry Mudgett in the summer of 2020, and ran all the drills with a comped (PMM compensator) VP9 and NATO spec 124 ball, as well as my +P HST 124 and 147 carry loads. Zero issues. Some comps are less directional, but the PMM puts everything out the top, and that isn’t pointed anywhere toward you when you’re doing it right, even from awkward positions.
    Nice feedback! Thanks for sharing!

@Clusterfrack I got a nice cylinder gap powder burn on my weak hand first finger yesterday lol.

It might be interesting to visually compare:

VP9L (5” HK barrel, no comp or ports) vs PMM comp on VP9 (4.5” HK threaded barrel). Same 124 grain NATO spec ammo in both photos. Felt recoil (measured with a wrist-mounted accelerometer) is similar between the two, but the comped pistol tracks flatter.

(As an aside, an Apple Watch with appropriate software app makes a pretty good rig for getting meaningful and comparable measurements on these things- comps, ammo, spring rates and mass all show repeatable differences that can be quantified and analyzed in three axes- and I think perhaps with more value than a gun mounted device like a Mantis, since it’s measuring the interaction of pistol/ammo variables and the shooter.)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post

(As an aside, an Apple Watch with appropriate software app makes a pretty good rig for getting meaningful and comparable measurements on these things- comps, ammo, spring rates and mass all show repeatable differences that can be quantified and analyzed in three axes- and I think perhaps with more value than a gun mounted device like a Mantis, since it’s measuring the interaction of pistol/ammo variables and the shooter.)
    What App.

User Tag List