Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Youngsters and shooting games

Kinda glad this got bumped back up though.

Last weekend we went out for sporting clays, and the older daughter asked (through the wife) if we could also take some guns they could shoot. So we packed up the mp15-22, the youth 20/22, and I popped the Advantage Arms .22 slide on one of the Glock 19s because (again, through the wife) she specifically requested to shoot a handgun.

She did remarkably well with the mp15-22 right out of the gate. Both her and her sister were able to make some hits on the 100 yard steel plates with the MP, and most of their misses were damn close.

Struggled a bit with the pistol but did ok with it (we were getting close to our lunch reservation at the clubhouse and we’re in a bit of a rush).

Enough so that I think that if I orchestrated a family weekend trip to the range (they have cabins we’ve stayed in before) to coincide with a steel match, I think they’d all agree to go and she’d get to see how things work from there it’s up to her to express interest, but as it stands right now she doesn’t know what she doesn’t know.

Might also dig out the airsoft G19 and see if that holds any interest for her. Should be able to cobble together some “steel” for her to shoot at.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

a suggestion, put your youngsters in the hands of an 8 hour basic pistol, rifle, shotgun courses to, in one swoop session for each, have the necessary skill, knowledge, and glean the necessary attitude in handling these firearms you have exposed them to in incremental segments in the past.

then you have the opportunity to build on the basic schemes as well as introducing them to different firearms and opportunities to shoot them w/o having to reiterate previous subject matter each time you go out.

J

ps: also consider archery...

pss: successful movement into the competition arena for both shooting activities could lead to a full ride from a collegiate persective.

User Tag List